Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic bullet for CPA 38-55 (Read 2939 times)
RD146
Ex Member

bullet for CPA 38-55
Jun 14th, 2006 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Greetings:

New to this forum and need some info regarding the optimum cast bullet for a new CPA Silhouett that has made itself at home. The bore has a 1x14 twist and intend to use the longest bullet that will shoot accurately. It will be used with both smokeless and black powder. I am looking at the Hoch and Paul Jones 330g--365g. bullet molds. 

After a search of this forum I have been unable to find a discussion on long bullets with a fast twist in a 38-55. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Regards
RD146 

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: bullet for CPA 38-55
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 7:40am
Print Post  
RD

I have shot 3 bullets in my CPA 38/55.  When I shot fixed Ammo and BPCS I used a Saeco stock mold double cavity 300 gr for 200 yard pratice with Smokeless powder. For Black powder Cartridge Sillouette Matches I used a LBT custom mold that threw a 300 gr spritzer. Both performed well. The 300 gr spritzer was accuarate and adequate for Rams if not 100 % knockdown.  I went 300 grs on Veral Smiths the mold makers advice. He did not think the rifle would stabalize longer. At the time I set this rifle up CPA had lost there mold maker Jerry Barnett and could not supply molds cut for there rifles.

Since CPA has arranged with Colorado Shooters Supply (Hoch) to keep molds on hand.  And now  in my 38/55  (it's been converted to a Black powder Schuetzen) am breech seating a 330 gr bullet from a Hoch nose pour single cavity mold.   I am also using a CPA supplied Hoch for my 32/40's. Both give excellent results. They stock a Sillouette bullet mold thats long and has proven to be accurate.

Molds and bullets are a personal thing and probably what we tinker with most in Schetzens. Good reason too the bullet is key to sucess. Unless you want to experment you cannot go wrong starting with the CPA supplied Hoch molds. They are the result of a lot of experence. 

Boats

IP Logged

monkeyboy
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2006 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
Rd, The Hoch 340gr nose pour works great in my 14 twist 38-55 CPA. I think that this is probably the heaviest/longest bullet that is stable for that twist. FWIW---Monkeyboy.

IP Logged

RD146
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 18th, 2006 at 5:00pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the info. I decided to go for the Hoch 330 grain nose pour and see what happens. 

Regards
RDD

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint