Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Win Hiwall Action (Read 3764 times)
Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Win Hiwall Action
Jun 11th, 2006 at 4:28am
Print Post  
Just signed on and am a very happy camper. I have a win hiwall action that is a 22rf action. At sometime in its life it was converted to coil spring. It doen not have the hole in the receiver for the plunger and spring so I have a little droop in the lever. It currently has the 22rf breech block and I have a 32wcf extractor. It has winchester double set triggers and the schutzen style trigger guard. Now that that is done. I have been toying with its intended use. I was thinking of making it into a 30-40 krag as I have seen one at the houston gun show. The action is not the case hardened one but the blued one. Right now its in the white. Is the action in its current form strong enough or will it have to be case hardened?. i'd like to put a tapered octagon bbl on it and eventually end up with a total weight around 10lbs or so. So any suggestions, comments would be appreciated. Singleshotlover

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: Win Hiwall Action
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2006 at 4:04pm
Print Post  
I'm a little leery of actions that have been put together from parts then are no longer cased or blued...has it been anealed for polishing and engraving, perhaps?  I know that in the old days when Winchester had a receiver returned to them for rebarreling into one of the newer, more powerful calibers such as the .30-40 you desire, They would sometimes feel the need to reheat treat it before such a use.  I would have a qualified metallurgist check its hardness with a view toward rehardening it if needed. 

Incidentally, original case hardened actions are NOT as stong an action as factory original blued actions, quite the opposite appears to be the case.

BTW, if you would like to get rid of that lever droop, use a flat mainspring.  If you have a coil spring hammer, the FS doesn't touch it, but still bears on the proper surface of a flat spring lever to keep it in place.  The coil spring still operates the hammer (it is still the "main"spring.)

Last, but perhaps most important, you will want a SMALL, late style firing pin in your breechblock.  This was developed specifically for the higher pressures of the later rounds such as your .30-40.  If you are having to bush the block from RF to CF, this should present no problem fo you, just be aware of it.  Some would even counsel in favor of the Mann-Niedner conversion, but I personally think that would be overkill.

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 4:38am
Print Post  
Green_Frog, The action when I received it had a very deteriorated blued finish. This was removed by me when cleaning it up. It has stamped on the upper tang "US 689" Maybe it was an origional musket action or something similar. I am of the opinion that this was probably a parts action. That is, someone had all the parts and made it into what it is today. I've had it since 1983 and figured it was about time I did something with it. Thanks, Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jun 13th, 2006 at 12:04pm
Print Post  
Frank, with the additional information, I would reiterate what I said about getting the hardness tested...there's probably a facility to do that somewhere in your town, such as the community college's metal lab here in my town.  If I were going to go with anything other than .22 long rifle or some very mild pistol caliber, I would be uneasy without knowing what I was dealing with.  Shocked  Ditto the firing pin bushing.  I would not trust even the old large diameter BP firing pin with that .30-40.

Which schuetzen lever do you have?  Does it have the little bump in the middle of the front for the plunger to bear against or the ridge all the way across the front for the mainspring to contact?  If the latter, you can follow my spring suggestion, if the former, it will be necessary to rig some kind of spring or other device to put down pressure in front of the axis of the lever pin.  I personally would go with the flat mainspring solution myself.  Wink

It looks like you are to the point many of us have reached at one time or another...the project has reached the point where it is time to do something and you want to get some bang for your buck.  Keep us posted and let me know if I can be of further help.   Smiley

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jun 16th, 2006 at 2:26am
Print Post  
Green Frog, Nope its not the coil spring lever. Has the ridge all the way across. The lever is what I believe is called the schutzen type as the triggers are spaced apart from each other and has a small curve at the end of the trigger guard bow to curl your finger against. I bought it at a gun show in newburg new york when my wife was pregnant with our first daughter. I think after almost 23 years it was time to do something with it. I have a buddy who shoots BPCR and he told me if I ever sell it he has dibs on it. The action is in excellent shape and just for the heck of it I tried the link out of a lo wall action I have to see what happened to the lever "droop" With the lo wall link in place no droop whatsoever. Just a few dings around the lever pin. Only thing is that I'm missing the little set screw that holds the lever pin in place.
Frank

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Singleshotlover
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 20th, 2006 at 3:46am
Print Post  
Green Frog, you mentioned getting the action hardness tested. Where should the testing on the action be done and what rockwell hardness scale and numbers should I be looking for.

Singleshotlover

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint