Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 32WCF Low Wall (Read 3044 times)
Bad_Ass_Wallace

32WCF Low Wall
Jun 4th, 2006 at 6:17am
Print Post  
Just picked up my little 32/20 WCF after some work at the gunsmith to supply and fit a new firing pin, fit new rear sight, check headspace and general checkover. It is a fairly old one, 1885 Model low wall single shot made 1919. 

It was given to me for parts as it had no firing pin and the timber and woodwork and bore were pretty rough, I have other Winchesters in the same model and the owner couldn't be bothered with the hassle or cost of importing a rifle part for "an old clunker that was unshootable anyway." 

Couldn't wait to try it out so I set up a 10m air pistol target at 50 yards and to my suprise all ten were well on the paper in an even 4.5" group. Very pleased with this as the sitting position with open sights in a 25 knot screaming SW'er is not conducive to good grouping. 

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

BSA smallbore rifle sight from the same era fits perfectly on the Winchester tang and folds down to allow use of the standard open sight 

5 shot group at 50 yards of 72mm

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: 32WCF Low Wall
Reply #1 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
BAW, if it was made in 1919 as you mention, it is a pretty LATE one, and pretty rare as well, since by then most of the low-walls were the ubiquitous 3rd Model Winder Musket.

The external condition of the metal doesn't look all that bad, and if the pits aren't any deeper than they appear to be on the receiver, it should clean up well.  Since the stock appears to be all there, it can at least serve as a template if you decide to restock.

All in all, it looks like you caught a "hidden treasure" that has the potential to be a lot of fun.  BTW, what bullet are you shooting.  I've seen a number of "better" low-walls in that caliber that would be hard pressed to shoot that well.

Regards,
Froggie

PS  While that tang sight looks a bit odd to the American eye, it obviously is working well for you.  How about a little more info about it?  GF

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
GF,
From the looks of it, that seems to be a BSA model 8 tang sight, as made for the small-action Martini rifles (cadet-size).  These are quite serviceable and accurate. FWIW, I have one with a conversion plate, to fit on a 'normal' tang - these have the usual Martini screw lay-out (L and R, instead of fore and aft).

IP Logged

MI-shooter

Reply #3 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
It is indeed a BSA #8 tang sight without the click adjustments. BSA made three heights. The shortest is for the BSA guns and the taller two for American single shots. They were made with and without windage adjustments. I have a tall sight with a Stevens adapter plate. A BSA catalog also lists a Winchester plate. Nice rifle and in a fun caliber to boot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint