Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic E.A Brown rifles (Read 7556 times)
AlanF
Participating Member

E.A Brown rifles
Jun 3rd, 2006 at 4:55am
Print Post  
Hey guys I’m looking for feedback regarding the accuracy (what kind of groups) and quality of the E.A. Brown 97D rifles.  Seriously considering ordering one in either 17 HeeBee or 219 Donaldson Wasp.  If you have any experiences with one of these 97D rifles I would like to hear from you.  Thanks.

Alan

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Re: E.A Brown rifles
Reply #1 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 6:21am
Print Post  
The one I shot a long time ago was accurate enough for varmint shooting...22 kHornet.   

I do know the .219 Donaldson Wasp chambering they use is the short Wasp made from the drawing error in the Hornady and Sierra manuals.  When the person drew the overall length of the cartridge he made it on the wrong side of the rim and shortened the Wasp .063 inches.   

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Alan,  if the 17s interest you you might check out "the smallcalibre news"  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); and The Woodchuck Den  330-897-0614.  they may have more info on that action in varmint applicaitons

One of ASSRA's stalwerts Dennis Hrusosky is the creator of the 17 HeBee.

While I have no personal knowledge of the Brown action.  I have recently aquired a 17 MachIV that is on a ruger #1 action.  it is currently in the process of being switched onto a S model FBW action repro and converted to the rimmed version.  I originally bought it basically for the action.  I'd never played with a hot varmint cartridge rifle before but I had a real ball with it before I shipped it off for the transmogrification.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #3 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I have one in 32-40 that is very accurate with cast bullets. Still carry it as a backup gun. Will shoot right along with anything else. My second one was a 32-20 match (.308 groove) that shot well too. Well chambered, crowned, and blued with a pretty good trigger as delivered. Cartridge must be fully seated in the chamber to close the action and it has limited extraction ability, but no problem with reasonable loads. Action is not pretty, but simple, light, and works well.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 1:29pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Jun 3rd, 2006 at 10:16am:
Action is not pretty........................

At one time I thought my Borchardt was perhaps the ugliest single shot action I'd ever seen, but then I saw a Comblain.

Then for about 30 years I thought no one could possibly make an uglier action than a Comblain, but then I saw a Brown. It made that Comblain look like Racqel Welch!

But the looks notwithstanding, they do have a reputation for excellent accuracy.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 2:21pm
Print Post  
Quote:

...It made that Comblain look like Racqel Welch!

But the looks notwithstanding, they do have a reputation for excellent accuracy.
Good luck, Joe

Joe, I think you have gone over the edge...Raquel Welch and a Comblain....way over the edge   Grin

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Jun 3rd, 2006 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
Hey J.D., there was one period dropping block action, I think by H&R or Forehand & Wadsworth, that made everything else, INCLUDING the Brown, look pretty.  I guess you had just been able to block it out of your memory.   

BTW, welcome aboard as a poster, Jeff!  For those who don't know him, Jeff shows up at Etna Green on a pretty regular basis, and just as regularly makes the middle of the target a very bad place to be.  Alan, you can take his comments to the bank, 'cause he has definitely "been there and done that" with the Brown.  When I read the jist of your question, I thought to myself, "He ought to talk to Jeff!"  As others have said in one way or another, it ain't pretty, but it gets the job done.

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

Bob_Allen
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 4th, 2006 at 3:06pm
Print Post  
I have one in 6PPC.It has the tightest chamber that I have ever seen,and I had to use their dies as my other dies would not size the case down enough.I am still playing with loads but so far it will do 1/2" at 100yds.no problem.trigger is sweet,21oz out of the box,crisp,no overtravel.gun is very tight over all,light, a joy to carry and I think well balanced.I am very happy with it,but the chucks are not so happy. 
Also when I thought I had a problem with it(tight chamber) a call was made and Mr.Brown got me right on track (their dies).I thought they were pleasent to deal with and were willing to take time and answear all my dumb questions.It beats my Rugers all to heck with no fiddlen around
          Bob Allen

IP Logged

AlanF
Participating Member

Reply #8 - Jun 5th, 2006 at 4:47am
Print Post  
Thanks guys.  The three things I have heard several times is that they are accurate, the workmanship is excellent, and "get a rimmed case." If I order soon it should be finished next spring when my overseas tour of duty is done.  Looking forward to this rifle.  Thanks again.

Alan

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint