Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Contact me if have these Browning Creedmoors (Read 12645 times)
texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Contact me if have these Browning Creedmoors
May 29th, 2006 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
As many of you know I’ve been researching the Browning BPCRs for some time.  I’m trying to wrap up the research and dearly need to locate owners of Creedmoor rifles with the serial numbers listed below.  If you, your buddies, friends or associates have a Browning Creedmoor with one of the four listed serial numbers I’d greatly appreciate if you would contact me, or request they contact me.  By the way, a factory Browning Creedmoor is a Browning BPCR in caliber .45-90 with a 34” ½ octagon ½ round barrel.  I can be reached by a private message or send me an email at texasmac--@--sbc--global.net (remove all dashes).  Thanks a bunch.

13284NP371
13298NP371
13299NP371
13300NP371

Regards,
Wayne
aka TexasMac

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Contact me if have these Browning Creedmoors
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2006 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Wayne,

Why do you need info on these exact serial numbers if you are just doing research on the genre?

I don't own one but I know that if I did have one of those serial numbers I'd be mighty suspicious of why you needed to know who owned those exact serial #'s. For all I know I might have in advertently bought a stolen gun and would be out if that came to light.

Also, a lot of people don't devulge full serial #'s as paperwork can easily be forged "proving" someone else owned that gun and you have one that was stolen.

Both of these incidents happen all the time. A friend was out quite a bit of money because of one of these not to long ago.

PETE

IP Logged

tar baby
Ex Member

Reply #2 - May 30th, 2006 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - May 30th, 2006 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Good point Pete.

Of course if I bought a stolen gun I would feel bad, but i sure wouldn't want to keep it.  So which is better, return it to it's rightful owner or toss it in the river...better to be out the money than doing time for possesing stolen property.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - May 30th, 2006 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Not to sound like a snob but why would anyone spend time reserching a Jap copy of anything ?  I know they have value as shooters but I would not be intrested any any history of how marketers put an idea together and had it made overseas to sell in the USA at lower prices than the US made Highwalls 

Adjust the triggers, take them apart Ok but thats about it.

Boats

IP Logged

tar baby
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 30th, 2006 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
Grin Grin

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - May 30th, 2006 at 10:42pm
Print Post  
Gees, you guys are a suspicious bunch. Roll Eyes  Actually there is a very high level of interest in Browning 1885’s, especially the Black Powder Cartridge Rifles specifically designed for long-range silhouette and creedmoor matches.  I’m not about to get in a discussion of American versus Japanese manufacturing but suffice it to say, they are very well made rifles and have won many matches against Sharps, Rem. Rollers, etc.  There is a continued demand for the Browning’s, which are no longer being made.

I’ve been researching the Browning BPCR for some time with the intent of publishing a book on the subject.  Nope, likely won’t make any money.  It’s more of a “labor of love” project.  I’ve had help from Browning and have contacted several hundred rifle owners.  I’ve enjoyed the research and have learned a good deal, not only about the Browning BPCR but also about all aspects of BPCR reloading, shooting and silhouette competition.

The Browning BPCR line consisted of around 4000 rifles made in .40-65 and .45-70, and only 330 Creedmoor models in .45-90.  16 of the Creedmoor rifles left the factory with a different front sight.  These are not well documented in Browning’s archives and I’m trying to zero in on the serial numbers.  I can promise you specific information about a rifle or owner will never be released or published.  The vast majority of rifle owners I’ve contacted have provided serial numbers and information on their rifles.  Even if one were stolen I’d never know about it.

Hope this answers you guy’s questions and concerns.  I have not posted much on this site but several of the other BPCR and single-shot forums know me well.  Thanks.

Regards,
Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - May 30th, 2006 at 11:04pm
Print Post  
Doubled,

You're right of course. But if you've laid out a $1000 + it becomes a little hard to just say..... "Hey man. Here's your gun. I'll just take the loss in the shorts and chalk it up to experience.".

Wayne,

Guess you're right about us being suspicious.

I know from past messages on other forums you've been on this project for a coupla years now, if I recall right. So I'm not really insinuating anything with my comments. Just pointing out some of the "facts of life" that those who don't know you will be thinking. All you have to do is lose several thousand dollars on someones stolen rifle and I'd bet big money you'd be suspicious to. Probably several on here can relate such stories.

As you mention, you haven't posted much on here and unless someone also subscribes to one of the other Forums you do frequent, they wouldn't know what you were getting at. Never assume people know you, or your project. I personally know what you're doing, but my aim was to get you to more fully explain without me having to drag it out of you.

Possibly now you'll be able to fill in some of those blanks. Let us know when the books for sale. I own one.... not a creedmoor.... so would be interested.

PETE

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - May 30th, 2006 at 11:16pm
Print Post  
Hey there Pete,

You're certainly correct.  I've posted so much on this subject on other forums and private messages, now and then I forget to introduce myself and explain the research.  Thanks.

Regards,
Wayne

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #9 - May 30th, 2006 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Yeah Pete you are right, it would be tough to take.  But once you learned it was stolen...well then what.   

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - May 31st, 2006 at 10:48am
Print Post  
doubled,

Well, an honest person would give it back, of course, once you knew, and was what my friend did. That gun had gone thru a coupla hands at least and was sold to him by a dealer before hte truth came to light. Probably why many wouldn't write to Wayne if they had one of the serial #'s he's looking for. As long as you don't know then you can have a clear conscious.

I've known of instances where people got a gun pretty cheap and were afraid to letter it for fear it might have been stolen.

The original guns we shoot can cost several thousands of dollars.... and up. Here's a rhetorical question I don't expect an answer to. Just think about it. What would you do if somehow you found out that $20,000 Pope you have had been stolen, and nobody but you knew it?

PETE

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - May 31st, 2006 at 12:40pm
Print Post  
The Pope rifle, Simple for me. I wouldn't have had it to start with.   

If I could afford to pay $20,000 for a rifle, before I paid that much for a rifle I would have done my research to establish the bonafides of the rifle.  I would know the history of the rifle and the fact that it was stolen would probably jumped right out.  Since I can't afford to buy a $20,000 rifle this wouldn't apply.

Now if someone offered me a $20,000 Pope rifle for $2000 I would still do my research and when I learned what the rifle was, I would ask the guy to meet me at the bank parking lot....then I would call the cops!  If someone is selling me a $20,000 gun for $2000 it's stolen!!!

I like guns, I like to shoot guns and I want to continue own and shoot guns.  With a felony conviction for possessing stolen property I can't do either.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

iowa
Ex Member

Reply #12 - May 31st, 2006 at 2:44pm
Print Post  
Pete/et al:  In this day and age it is probally reasonable to question a post such as this.   But,  TexasMac is a frequent known poster on various other Boards.  In personal dealings with him I have found him an honest and up front individual.  His knowledge, and expertice on the Browning BPCR's could be very valuable on this fine rifle.  He is always more than willing to share tech tips etc., when needed.   Now as to your ponderous question of the $20,000 Pope rifle-well that goes to each individual's character does'nt it.   Best regards steve witt

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 31st, 2006 at 9:40pm
Print Post  
Wayne, please don't judge the rest of us by Pete's attitude and posts, he's definitely in the minority on this forum IMO. And good luck on your book.

So far as the stolen gun incident is concerned, I think I would take my receipt back to the dealer from whom I bought the thing. He has a moral responsibility and, in many states, a legal one as well since he's in a retail business. Yeah, I know many of 'em would tell me to go pound sand, but, in the final analysis, I don't know of many legitimate dealers who could stand the negative publicity (and lawsuit).

To keep/conceal a gun one suspects is stolen is, quite simply, not something I would knowingly do, nor would any morally upright person IMO. I gotta agree with Doubled on this one, it's just not The Right Thing. I've always lettered all my guns and will always continue to do so; if I was worried that a gun might be stolen, then WHY in the world would I have bought it in the first place?
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Hey guys,

Thanks for the moral support and positive character references.  I did not take offense to Pete's comments, as I did not feel any was intended.  I certainly did need to introduce myself to those of you not aware of my research.  Also, I think Pete it playing the "devil’s advocate" a little here.  So don’t be too hard on ol’ Pete.   

By the way, I’m certainly not going to check any of the serial numbers provided uncovered by my research.  On the flip side, I have never been shy about giving out the serial numbers of my firearms as I keep records, receipts, etc. of each purchase, even if the firearm is picked up at a gun show and no paperwork was required.  In that case I ask to see the sellers driver’s license, which he/she shouldn’t have any problem with if they have no knowledge of it being stolen.  I jot down the license number, name and address.  I’ve always felt that the best way to discourage the sale of “hot” firearms is to require identification from the seller.  If it turns out, unbeknownst to me, the firearm was stolen some time ago and sold a few times, then tracked to me, I may have to turn it over to the authorities and loose my investment, but at least I have some documentation to insure I’m not implicated.

So keep an eye out for those Creedmoor serial numbers I listed earlier.  If you have knowledge of one I certainly don’t expect you to identify the serial number.  But I would appreciate if you would either ask the owner to contact me or send me his/her contact info, and I’ll try to convince them that my research is legit and I will not release the information.  I can assure anyone with one of the rifles that my research, when published, will have a significant positive impact on the value if their rifle, as it already has on the rest of the 330 BPCR Creedmoors and the 3,500 or so of the .40-65’s and .45-70’s.

In closing I do have one question.  I have a FFL and have bought and sold firearms for many years, more recently many of the $1500 - $2000 Browning I'm writing about.  This is the 1st time I've heard a reference to having a firearm "lettered".  I assume it means checking to see if there is a listing of it being stolen.  So how does one "letter" a firearm?  Do you call the local police or sheriff dept., or is there a FBI or an ATF hotline I'm not aware of?  I'd be somewhat surprised if the local authorities are inclined to check.

Regards,
Wayne
aka TexasMac

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint