Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hi & Low wall questions (Read 13974 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

Hi & Low wall questions
Apr 11th, 2006 at 3:56pm
Print Post  
I am thinking about getting a Schuetzen rifle for benchrest competition. I have seen some original Hi-walls around, One in particular chambered in 30-30 for about $900. I dont know what to look for when examining an original, can anyone help me out?  I also note there are some Italian imported low walls in 32-20 with double sets. Is 32-20 a good way to go?   Is it possible to get a serious benchrest rifle for $2,000 or less?  That is about the max I would want to invest at this point.I dont think I can get a US made replica in that price range.  I was also considering an imported Hi wall with double sets  and rebarrelling it to a schuetzen caliber.  I would strongly prefer to go with a Hi wall or low wall, import (Italian only) would be  OK if quality is there. Thanks, Joe S

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Hi & Low wall questions
Reply #1 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 8:16pm
Print Post  
The .32-20 is a bit of a disadvantage for most 200 yd schuetzen matches. The original Winchesters will cost dearly for a good one, unless you find one in need of rework, and you might finish under your $2000 price tag.
Italian copies can be found in calibers suitable for schuetzen rifles, like a .38-55, and they sell for under $1,000, so again, you might finish under $2,000, but I'm not familiar with how accurate they might be, or which is the most accurate.
You might post a wanted ad here in the "for sale" section, and see if someone has anything suitable that they are ready to part with. Good used match rifles are usually the best buys around, and don't require any further modifications.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 10:00pm
Print Post  
There's only rifle I know of that sells for $2000 or less that is competitive for benchrest shooting that is a CPA Stevens.CPA's can be bought in different calibers but the 32/40 -32 Miller Short are presently the most popular.
     IMO original barreled rifles are generally not competitive in benchrest shooting.   
      There are other really good benchrest rifles the De haas- Miller is one but. not for $2000.   leadball

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Apr 11th, 2006 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies,

Assume that $2,000 is not enough to get a competitive benchrest rifle. Also assume that there is a limit to what I can/will spend. How much should I expect to pay for a competitive rifle? (not including mold, tools, etc) Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

red_stevens
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 12:17am
Print Post  
Here was a post in the classifieds section from a couple of weeks ago.:
Ken Meyer has a SST Winchester Highwall in 32-40 with a Darr #6 barrel for sale. Call him at (231) 759-0592

A #6 Darr barrel is a great set up for bench shooting and Ken Meyer installed Darr barrel is great.  I have a 32-40 Ballard with a #4 Darr barrel that shoot 10 shot one hole groups from bench with a Unertl scope.  This rifle might just fill your needs if the price is right.
Red

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 5:23am
Print Post  
Ken Meyer no longer has the rifle. I went with a friend to pick it up and am presently helping him get set up to shoot it.

Don

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #6 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 8:40am
Print Post  
I gotta go with leadball on this. The CPA is the only rifle that I can think of that will come in under 2,000. My advice would start with a barrel. I would go for a 1:12" twist or tighter for a .32. Chamber it for one of the smaller cases 32 X 357 Dell or the 32 Miller short. As for stock have it fit with the CPA benchrest stock in a heavy dense stright grain wood.  You may want to think about haveing the wood stableised. That will get you the gun.
Now it is time to buy a scope, decide on a front rest, rear bag, Powder sieves, powder measure, it never stops.
Welcome to the maddness.
40 Rod

IP Logged

is0086s

Bob Ryan

Reply #7 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
40-Rod:

Please expand on what you mean by "stabilizing" the stock. I'm not addressing the spelling - I don't remember hearing of stabilizing a stock before.

Thanks

Bob Ryan

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
To make a standard Winchester 1885 Highwall in to a competitive Schuetzen rifle usually requires the following:

1. bush and convert to a Neidner firing pin
2. install crossbolt between tangs so a through bolt can be installed to stabilize the rear stock.
3. replace flat spring with a coil spring and skeltonize trigger to speed up lock time
4. install single or double set trigger
5. replace stock with offhand schuetzen style stock
6. rebarrel to .321 (32-40) and chamber to a gain twist 11.5 twist 32 schuetzen wildcat cartridge to shoot 230 grain bullets

Then add up the required modification costs and compare to purchase of a new Miller or CPA and then decide if it is what you would prefer to do. Been there done that. The Winchester has won many medals for herself though I eventually did go to a MIller. Still prefer to caress the Winchester though.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 11:09pm
Print Post  
Winchester stocks are not as stiff as they need to be and vibrations can throw off your sweet spot you worked so hard to find by adjusting your powder load and seating depth.

A through bolt conversion pulls the wood tight up against the action so that it is stiffer and less prone to movement due to recoil.

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 12th, 2006 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
Oops. 

3. should have read sketonize "hammer" (not trigger)

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 12:16am
Print Post  
Thanks everyone for your help.  I will be checking into the CPA rifles, although I would prefer a Hi Wall.  I was looking at various Hi Wall options, and noticed an Italian Hi Wall with double sets for around $1,000.  If I were to buy it, I believe I can rebarrel it with a match grade barrel  and put a new buttstock on for under $1,000.  Am I correct? Dont know about the firing pins on the imports, would have to check into that. Would any more work be required?   The Ballard Company Hi walls will cost over $3,000, so if the price starts to get over $2500 I might as well buy one of theirs, or an original action and put a new barrel and buttstock on. Correct? Thanks! Joe

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 8:07am
Print Post  
Stabilizeing the wood is a process That Ken Hurst told me about. I am not sure how it is done but according to Ken when they are done the wood is denser and will not warp at all. I am thinking about sending a stock out to see how it works.

40 Rod

IP Logged

gunsbrad
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 8:34am
Print Post  
The Italian High Walls I own both have a Niedner type firing pin.

Brad Hurt

IP Logged

fallingblock
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #14 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 10:16am
Print Post  
I do not think that #'s 1-5 of Schuetzendave's need to be done. As Joe is looking for a bench gun the only thing is a barrel.
1. bush and convert to a Neidner firing pin 
Many shooter myself included shoot with the original fireing pin it is not a major component for accuracy.

2. install crossbolt between tangs so a through bolt can be installed to stabilize the rear stock.
The Winchester stock is a ball and socket and is quite stable as it was designed and well bedded.

3. replace flat spring with a coil spring and skeltonize hammer to speed up lock time 
Have not seen any thing to show that the coil is faster but it may be.

4. install single or double set trigger 
The set trigger will make the lock time slower but I do like them.

5. replace stock with offhand schuetzen style stock 
Not needed for a bench gun. I do not shoot a bench stock as I only schuetzen style stocks. Yes they can be competitive off the bench but it is not easy.

6. rebarrel to .321 (32-40) and chamber to a gain twist 11.5 twist 32 schuetzen wildcat cartridge to shoot 230 grain bullets 
You will find many people shooting all sorts of cases. I like the bigger old cases but the new small cases do well but I do not like the pressures that they can generate with very small changes in powder charge. As to twist and bullet weight a long discussion would be interesting as almost every one has their faviroite.

fallingblock

Cheers,
Laurie
ASSRA Secretary & Archivist

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint