Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Martini re-barreler? (Read 12374 times)
joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Martini re-barreler?
Apr 13th, 2006 at 9:47am
Print Post  
There's a guy from Argentina at the range, shooting a Vetterli with DST and a sort-of-hooked buttplate like the Hammerli I think the gun was made by Hammerli. ??team rifle buttplates, and some real amateur checkering- into 2"-3" 5 shot groups at 100 yards with the original iron sights. The gun??
Anyhow, he has a big military Martini and wants to know who could re-barrel this gun to 45/90 or 45/120.
Any suspects for doing this work?
joe b.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: Martini re-barreler?
Reply #1 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 9:52am
Print Post  
Tis not likely that a .45-90 would fit into a martini and a solid wager that a .45-120 will not make the bend.  That being the case, I'd be happy to rebarrel it for him because he will never be able to figure out how incompetent I am at rebarreling when the ammo wont fit.

Brent

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 5:44am
Print Post  
My 12/15 Martini 30/30 conversion wouldn't let a ctg in until I took a grinder to the breech block. It looked like that wouldn't affect action strength and it hasn't blown up yet. 
I don't know if one could grind out enough breechblock on a big Martini action to get a 45/90 in. Does anyone? 45/120?
joe b.

IP Logged

precious
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 10:57am
Print Post  
joeb,check out the gp shot gun action.

IP Logged

Doubled
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Grinding the feed trough of the Martini's is scary proposition and needs a delicate touch and should not taken lightly.   The entire block should be considered the locking lugs. Any grinding on it can weaken he block.   

The small Martini block (and large also) can have its load position adjusted downward and most of the time that will solve the turn the corner problem. Using lighter bullets instead off 180 grn. will also do it. But if you are having problems with a 150 or lighter, you can open just slightly, ever so slightly the rear width of the feed trough, but just enough an no more.  Don't increase the depth.

The 2.88 OAL 45-90 should have no problem fitting a a MH action that was originally a 577/450 at 3.12 oal and much fatter body.  It might have problems in a ME action with a .303 block.  The feed trough will be narrower. You would just have to try.

Asto some one to do the work, look for some one who know Martini's, most Americans Gunsmith don't.

I would start with Vic Samuels.

IP Logged

Warkshop

Reply #5 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
I am assuming that the Martini in question is a British military type.  Still have two large Martini project rifles, one rebarreled to .45/70 and the other to .303 British.  When I barreled the .45/70 the original plan was to chamber for a .45/90 but that would not work out as the straight case jammed when attempting to chamber it.   This problem might be resolved by grinding the rear portion of the loading trough a little deeper to allow a straighter path into the chamber but havn't tried this.  There is a lot of metal in the Martini block and a small amount of grinding would in my opinion not compromise the rifle; but, unless one must have a Martini in .45/90 or larger why do it?  There are any number of other single shot actions that will handle either of these cartridges that allow a straight in feeding path.  the original .577/450 cartridge is quite tapered and loads just fine, a result of the shape of the cartridge

One can adjust the position of the block up or down but, as the diameter (cartridge and rim) of the .45/90 is SMALLER the .577/450 one would want to adjust the position of the block upward so as to allow the loaded cartridge to slide into the chamber rather than have the bullet catch on the bottom of the chamber.

There is no difference in the .577/450 block and the .303 British block other than the fact that the .303 British block has the firing pin hole bushed.  The .303 British rifles were converted from the .577/450s so the feed trough is the same.
Same goes for those rifles converted to .22LR in Britain for the small bore shooting clubs in Britain, if you should rin into one.

deHaas wrote an article on converting the large Martini military action that was published in Guns & Ammo in the early 1960's and ended up showing conversions to .22RF, a rimmed centerfire I do not recall, a .30-06 with a rimless extractor and and a 12 gauge shotgun.  To make the 12 gauge work he ground the loading trough down significantly.  Have the article somewhere.  In his book "Mr. Single Sot's Gunsmithing Idea Book"  a photograph of the .30-06 is shown in Fig. 3-15.  Believe it started out as a short lever (Mk. II)

Hope this helps.

Bill

IP Logged

Duck_Rider

Reply #6 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
I have Greener Martini that is barreled in 577-3" NE it feeds just fine. The feed trough is slightly larger than the standard 577-450. I think it would be possible with a little care to handle the 45-90 but the 45-120 could be a problem because of small diametre & long length.

IP Logged

Warkshop

Reply #7 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
One might also want to check out S. Durren's series on building a long range rifle on the Martini action in the SSRJ beginning in 2005.

Bill

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2006 at 10:02pm
Print Post  
Some Martini straight-case chambering problems can be solved very readily and unobtrusively by grinding a sloped feeding ramp on the top underside of the chamber's entrance. This sloped ramp is shaped as an upside-down version of the typical feed ramp of an autoloading pistol or magazine-fed rifle, and can extend as far as 0.180" forward of the face of the breechblock provided that modern solid-head cases are used.

This will normally go a long way toward solving such conversions as the M-H to 45-90 and the Cadet to 357 Maximum. I don't think it'll solve the 45-120 though (VBG).
HTH, Joe

IP Logged

Doubled
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 1:07am
Print Post  
Quote:

There is no difference in the .577/450 block and the .303 British block other than the fact that the .303 British block has the firing pin hole bushed.  The .303 British rifles were converted from the .577/450s so the feed trough is the same.
Same goes for those rifles converted to .22LR in Britain for the small bore shooting clubs in Britain, if you should rin into one.

Not true at all.  There are at least four different  577/450 breech blocks and two different for the  .303. (In theory there could be 5 different blocks for the .303, but 2 is more likely)

Mk I has no tumbler clearance in the bottom and the feed trough is wider for the larger 577/450 cartridge. These blocks were supposed to be replaced with MK II block and most likely won't be encountered.

MKII has tumbler cut out and wide trough.

Mk III wider front, larger striker hole, wide trough.

Mk IV was a thinner block (top to bottom-shorter?) with rounded top corners for a new heavier extractor with wide trough.

The ME  block was made for the .303  and  has a smaller striker and narrow feed trough. This breech also is of the original taller height of the Mk I Mk II and Mk III blocks.

The modified .303 breech block has a plate dove tailed in its face to bush the striker hole.  They were made from old 577/450 breech blocks and have a wider troughs.

The ones with the wider troughs should work with the 45-90 as it is a shorter skinnier cartridge than the longer fatter Fat Boy 577/450.  The 45/90 may not fit in the ME .303 breech block but may fit the modified .303 breechblock.

I have long been a fan of Frank Dehaas and corresponded with him for several years before his death. He did inpsire me to learn.  I would have loved to discuss with him the Instruction for armourers for the care, repair , &c of the the Martini-Henry Rifle found in Ian Skennerton's  SAIS 15 and extracted from the Army Circulars dated 1st January 1877.

Frank liked new ideas or discovering old.  The original instructions contradict some of what Frank wrote and I think he would have been the first to say the old way was best!

They sure make assembly and disassembly a snap!

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 6:08am
Print Post  
Quote:

Asto some one to do the work, look for some one who know Martini's, most Americans Gunsmith don't.

I would start with Vic Samuels.

Thanks. How would I contact Vic Samuels?
joe b.

IP Logged

PLuton
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 7:04am
Print Post  
Hi,

I just found Vic Samuel's website as a friend of mine in England sold him some Martini Actions a while ago.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

You can get all his details there.

Best wishes,

Pete Luton
Marylebone Rifle & Pistol Club
London
England

IP Logged

Doubled
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 16th, 2006 at 7:07am
Print Post  
If you need anything Martini start here (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Vic is listed under Gunsmiths.
SSA Enterprises. Vic Samuels, Gunsmith. - (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links);

IP Logged

martininut
Ex Member

Reply #13 - May 8th, 2006 at 11:01am
Print Post  
Jim Wasmundt out of Oregon also does a splendid job.  He is listed on the resource list posted by DoubleD.  He has worked on a couple of mine and it was all excellent work.

IP Logged

Bad_Ass_Wallace

Reply #14 - May 25th, 2006 at 8:55am
Print Post  
Surprisingly, the 577/450 loads duplicate the 45/90 without the feed problems and just as accurate Grin

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hold still varmint; while I plugs yer!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint