Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Contact me if have these Browning Creedmoors (Read 12641 times)
boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Contact me if have these Browning Creedmoors
Reply #15 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Texas Mac

First sorry I was negative about your pending book and wish the project well.  I am sort of Anti import but did own a Jap car and still have a Yamaha. Actualy I am more skeptical of the "instant collectors items" like commemorative rifles etc than were they were built. And to my mind thats how the imported replica single shots fit. As long as factorys can turn them out the value of ones produced will be limited. 

Although as a pratical shooter they are very useful and we Schuetzen shooters would like to see Browning of one of the Italian companys come up with a true Schuetzen at afordable prices. 

On letters. It generaly means that someone or some organazation has access to the factory records and will issue a letter detailing the way the firearm was built as from the factory and possably who it was shipped to when new.  There are people who have bought factory documents and charge pretty stiff fees for letters. Others are owned by museums or clubs and will issue letters at nominal fees. 

It makes a huge difference in selling price. Give you an example I saw a fairly rough 69 cal US SS pistol in a small rual gun shop. It had a name carved into the grip. I told the owner to hold off sale until I had the chance to do some looking around. This was pre-internet and I visited the Virginia State Library and found the entire service record for the Confederate Calvaryman who has added his name to the pistol.

At that time the State of Virginia would issue a nice certificate at no charge certifying the soilder in question served the State during the Civil war.  I gave him the docuements and the pistol sold for 5 times his original asking price. And I accepted a nice fee for my work.

Of course you could buy a beat up Horse Pistol look up some soilders records and carve his name into the grip. Age it a bit and make big bucks. There is a lot of that that goes on.

So you can see I am a skeptic when it comes to collections and value of collectors firearms.

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 6:41pm
Print Post  
When I spoke of 'lettering' I did indeed mean a letter from the keepers of the factory records. I've lettered Winchesters, Marlins, L.C.Smiths (all from the Cody Museum, inexpensive and fast), Colts (from Colt, expensive and slow) and Sharps (from the records owner, an individual, expensive and fast) but have not lettered any others. I do have a Westley Richards double shotgun with a letter from the present owners of W-R to the previous owner of the shotgun, and my friend Clarence the Collector has also gotten a letter from them on one of his shotguns, so I know that they will provide the records if asked.

The letter will usually tell the configuration of the firearm (bbl shape, length, caliber, finish, any special features, and the date of shipment. Sometimes the name of the original purchaser or addressee is available, especially on Colts. Usually nothing exceptional, but occasionally a jewel will pop up. For example, I had a Colt SA in 44-40 that had been purchased by and shipped to the Winchester factory in 1880, I can only assume for testing ammunition. I presently own a Winchester high wall tang that left the factory on a rifle with so many rare and deluxe and special-order features that it was most assuredly a one-of-a-kind rifle. Some of the more common features for this particular serial number include pistol grip and XXX checkered wood and set trigger and extremely rare and desirable caliber, but it gets A LOT better from there! I would never have known this if I hadn't lettered it.

Don't get too excited, it's only the bare tang, but it's 100% original with ~90% faded case colors and still has the little displaced-metal raised edges around the roll-marked serial number. It's interesting to speculate about how it got separated from the rest of the rifle. The fellow from whom I got it (as part of a package deal) had no idea about the rarity, he had never lettered it.
FYI, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
JD

What is the time span Marlins will letter from the Cody museum. Any of the 1940's 39's and 39 A's ?

Boats

IP Logged

J.D.Steele
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Jun 1st, 2006 at 11:02pm
Print Post  
Sorry I don't know the entire span; I've only lettered guns from the 19th century, but I understand that they have all of the Marlin records that are extant at this time. Of course some particular time periods may have spotty or missing records (very true for Winchester and Colt), but it seems like they should have most of the info. Incidentally I've found that the Marlin records are more spotty throughout their range while Winchester seems to be complete for particular time periods but missing entirely for other time periods. For instance I've been able to letter only about 30% of my early Marlin 1895s while I've gotten letters on every single early Win 1886 I've tried. However all the Win records from periods in the early 20th century are missing entirely.
HTH, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

XRINGS
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 10:52am
Print Post  
hiya texasmac

i would be glad to provide you with info on my bpcr

in a private email!!

love the rifle.got it brand new,fellow kept it in safe.. never fired till i got it..

xrings

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #20 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 11:36am
Print Post  
Val, if all of the Marlin records went to one place, I would assume that your 39s would be covered.  Col Brophy sent me an informal "miniletter" about my Marlin Model 90 shotgun of the vintage you mention many years ago when he was still working there as Historian.

Froggie

IP Logged

DoubleD
Oldtimer

Reply #21 - Jun 2nd, 2006 at 1:51pm
Print Post  
Texasmac,

I should probably apologize also for drifting your topic.  I did not mean disrupt you research.

I will say I agree with Pete about one thing and that is public posting of serial numbers.  Seem to remember some years back one of the gun rags got in trouble over that and that is now why you see them print serila number with xxx on the end. 

Good luck with you endeaver.  It looks like you found one  so we didn't mess you up to bad.

Douglas, Ret.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint