Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Hi & Low wall questions (Read 13977 times)
marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Hi & Low wall questions
Reply #15 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
Is it possible we're confusing someone's interest in starting out in Schuetzen, vs. really serious Schuetzen shooting?
I think it's possible to have fun, and get started without nemerous modifications or particular calibers. Now if it means you want to compete with the big boys, it may require all the right things, but it's not a requirement to start enjoying the game.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2006 at 9:13pm
Print Post  
  I want a rifle capable of competing in benchrest with the " big boys",(I think I know who some of them are).  I have a BSA Mkl II and two Sharps rifles that I am satisfied with offhand and benchrest with the rimfire. But in centerfire benchrest the 1874 Sharps cannot compete with a high quality breechseated Schuetzen rifle.  If I buy another rifle, I want one that can put them all in the 25 ring at 200 yds.  I fully realize a lot of load development, technique, wind reading, etc, all goes into it. but I want to make sure the rifle is capable. The question is can it be done without spending $3,000 or more? Thanks for all your help! Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #17 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 1:20am
Print Post  
You can buy the CPA with unfinished wood for $2150. Finish the wood yourself and save several hundred dollars. Be sure and get the stock design that you need for the type shooting you are going to do.

These rifles are absolutely competitive.

Original single shot actions are getting more and more expensive. New ones cost even more.

Come on in, the water is FINE!! Grin

Dale53

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 10:52am
Print Post  
Quote:
 I want a rifle capable of competing in benchrest with the " big boys",(I think I know who some of them are).   If I buy another rifle, I want one that can put them all in the 25 ring at 200 yds.  The question is can it be done without spending $3,000 or more? Thanks for all your help! Joe

~$2500 for the CPA rifle, ~$300 for the scope & mounts, ~$200 for the beginnings of the reloading equipment. This will get you within striking range but will not guarantee anything. Plan to spend MUCH more on such things as more moulds, more dies, barrels, reamers, special brass, more moulds, etc. not to mention different components and special reloading tools and just plain way-cool items. Did I mention more moulds?

You will find that entering competitive accuracy shooting is a lot like opening Pandora's Box or letting the Genie out of the bottle.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Apr 14th, 2006 at 11:32am
Print Post  
The way I've approached several shooting sports is this;
Get a rifle that is "adeqate"... not "competitive at the top level", but "pretty good".  In other words, I buy what I can get my grubby little mits on in pretty short order for what I can afford.

Then practice getting ME up to snuff, and start collecting "all that other stuff", like JDSteele mentions... loading equipment, optics, moulds, and everything else. 

When I get good enough that my scores stop going up, and my groups stop getting smaller, the I look at either a rifle overhaul, or a new rifle.

So far, I've gotten bored with two sports before I had to spend the big bucks on "top level" equipment.   

I've just barely started Schutzen shooting (offhand), and my groups are still getting smaller...

Paul F.

IP Logged

thornblom
Ex Member

Reply #20 - May 20th, 2006 at 2:56pm
Print Post  
Hey Ya'll,

I want to get started in the schuetzen game, especially .22 rimfire.  I have a new winchester 1885 low wall in .22 lr with a 10 power B&L scope in Leupols mounts and rings.  I also have a Lyman 17A front sight and a Marbles tang sight for this rifle.  Would this be a good starter or should I stick with my custom t/c contender w/Bullbery match barrel and Leupold 4,5-14x scope.

Also, I have a custom .32-40 built on a C&H Armory highwall action with Douglas barrel.  I can switch the Leupold 4.5-14 from the contender if necessary.

Sincerely,
Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

IP Logged

QuestionableMaynard8130
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - May 20th, 2006 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
Take the time to visit one of the local matches if at all possible.  At EtnaGreen at least I have seen nice rifles ready to go, minus scopes being sold in our trading and swapping area for well under 2K.  Last year at Etna Green there was a nice looking CPA with both center fire and rimfire barrels blocks etc the went for under 2K.   IN additinal good sued scopes, reloading gear etc can oftern be found at very reasonalbe prices as guys upgrade, dispose of no longer needed gear, of occasionally are helping the widow of a deceased shooter dispose of his gear.

obviously there is no gurantee of what may or may not show up at a given event , but a few hundred bucks spent on travel expense can be a very good investment.

sacred cows make the best burger

IP Logged

thornblom
Ex Member

Reply #22 - May 28th, 2006 at 7:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the invitation, but since I live in southern california, the range at etna green is more than a little out of my way.  For the time being I'll just go with the equipment I have now.  I seem to get through the matches with it OK and am no longer coming in at last place.  Better equipment is far off in the future as I am just starting out right now.

Dave (Bubba) Thornblom

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #23 - May 29th, 2006 at 7:58am
Print Post  
Thornblom, if you already have those two rifles and have found some matches to shoot, your first question seems a little strange...my suggestion would be to continue to shoot the CPA and low-wall at the matches, see what works for your there, and as you find additional accessories (and yes, additional guns) that you just can't do without, add them to your growing list of stuff you haul around.  Regardless, you ARE started in the schuetzen game whether you know it or not (didn't hurt a bit, did it?  Grin ) and now the only things you can do are keep reading this forum (along with all related literature you can lay your hands on) shoot every match you possibly can and get together with whichever fellow shooters are local (and you define local) and practice saying, "but darling, we NEED this rifle now and it's such a great deal...the rent can wait 'til next month."  There is NO cure, thornblum...you're hooked.

As far as specific improvements to your equipment, the sky is the limit (for instance I would think about a rimfire barrel and block assembly for the CPA so I could take advantage or that fine trigger in both venues, but the low-wall can be given acceptable trigger performance a couple of ways.)  Other than that, just shoot as often as you can, keeping records of your sight settings in various wind conditions, etc.  If possible find someone at the matches you attend who you can practice with so you can encourage each other and critique problems...it will surprise you how quickly you will progress.   

Finally, be sure and look over things like Competition Corner in the Journal as well as other sources of technique suggestions.  Try them in practice (or at matches if you must) and keep what works for you...we all have little "tricks" that we depend on, sometimes without even realizing it.  That's why the more we shoot and concentrate on what we are doing, the faster we progress.

HTH, I guess I got a little windy, but that's what I do!   Cheesy  Froggie

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint