Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) German Target rifle info needed More pics (Read 10293 times)
JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: German Target rifle info needed More pics
Reply #15 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 10:51am
Print Post  
I own a Field's Patent Sidelever Martini rifle (large) with what appears to be an internal hammer. I haven't disassembled it yet so am not sure of the exact internal configuration, but will take a look soon and post pictures if possible.

The Field's Patent Sidelever rifles are apparently quite rare. I've seen pictures of their sidelever falling-block action in the de Haas and Grant books, and have even seen one example up close & personal, but have so far seen not even a picture of their sidelever Martini action. Apparently it's even rarer than the falling-block model.

So many Martinis, so little.......................
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Field patent rifle...
Reply #16 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 1:52am
Print Post  
Joe,
If you don't want to take it apart, just check this pic:
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Or alternatively, all the related pages on my website...
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

But you'll notice it is of the "true faith", and is striker-fired.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
MB, I took my rifle apart (without any major malfunctions, amazing!) and found that it does indeed have an internal hammer. It's substantially identical to the later examples shown on pages 3, 4 and 5 of your website details, except my rifle has a pistol-grip lower tang. It's by far the most-ergonomically designed Martini I've seen, with the trigger comfortably set well to the rear and a very well-designed side safety lever as shown on the patent drawings. What may at first glance appear (in the drawings) to be a striker spring is actually, in the case of my rifle and the second example shown on your website, a firing pin retractor spring.

My rifle was originally made in cal 577/500 Westley Richards no. 2 Express but has been converted to 22LR with a Parker liner and target sights. It could be restored to original but the task would be difficult. The original highly-figured English walnut sporting buttstock is still present but the original forearm has been replaced and various other alterations have been performed. Too bad.

It's just another 'someday' project rifle to me, I've thought about restoring it but will probably either continue to shoot it or try to sell or trade it for something else. I've got too durn many project rifles as it is, need to consolidate some of 'em and finish some of the projects.

Many thanks for showing the patent detail drawings, you are indeed a gentleman.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
Joe,

That's what I made the website for - to make information available to other people.  So you have the variant with the V-spring and hammer, nice...  Would be even nicer in the original round indeed!  Most Martini-style rifles can be made (or were) into very handy and light sporters, and that one would make a fine big-bore hunting rifle.  Just don't forget the express sights!
It alctually has quite a few similarities to the Swinburn-Martini, also very nice...

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #19 - Apr 1st, 2006 at 11:42pm
Print Post  
Mr. Martini
I, too, want to thank you for your web site. Excellent information.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint