Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic sharps problem (Read 3382 times)
Joe_S
Oldtimer

sharps problem
Mar 28th, 2006 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
I have had a problem with my sharps which I would like to resolve. Often, not always, but about 20% of the time, I cannot put the lock on quarter cock without dropping the breechblock. For some reason, when this condition occurs, the hammer must be lowered a little, requiring the block to be dropped, then pulled back to engage the sear in the quarter cock notch. I do not like to lower the block with the hammer pressing the transfer bar, can this be fixed? Thanks! Joe S

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Re: sharps problem
Reply #1 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
Joe,
If you have double set triggers, I'm guessing they need adjustment.  If you don't have those instructions from the manufacturer of your rifle, I can probably find some and post a link for you.

Never have heard it called the quarter cock notch...
CM

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks CM!  My rifle was made by Palmetto, imported by Garrett imports, and is about 25 years old, more or less. If you can help me out I would appreciate it. Thanks,Joe

IP Logged

montana_charlie

Reply #3 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Joe,
For now, we'll say that your Palmetto and my Pedersoli use the same trigger design.  It should be true...let's assume that it is.

In that case you can find a .pdf file which has a set trigger adjustment procedure (instructions on Page 4, and diagram on Page 5) at this link.
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

The file generally covers most of the Pedersoli models, but there is a small amount of Sharps-specific information near the end that you may find interesting, as well.

I made the guess that you might have a trigger adjustment problem because maladjusted triggers can cause the hammer (lock) to act funny.
However, your use of the term 'quarter cock' still has me puzzled.
Does your rifle have three positions that the hammer can be set in (in addition to fully down) like quarter, half and full cock?

For information geared specifically toward your Palmetto product, you might have some luck by inquiring at their email address.
info@palmettoarms.com
CM
« Last Edit: Mar 30th, 2006 at 12:37am by montana_charlie »  

Retired...twice.  Now, just raisin' cows and livin' on borrowed time.

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Mar 30th, 2006 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Hi CM,

My rifle has two lock positions, I refer to the first as quarter cock because it requires very little pull of the hammer to engage, normally.  Its position is roughly equivalent to the first position of the lock on a three notch trapdoor lock. I will check out the references you posted and see if I can get it resolved.Thanks! Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint