Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Re: c c johnson bowchart (Read 17308 times)
AkMike
Ex Member

Re: c c johnson bowchart
Feb 18th, 2006 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Uhhh,,, Could you say that again? In English?? Roll Eyes Roll Eyes

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:52am
Print Post  
Alcohol and computers don’t mix well but I took a few drinks and can now read that you have a Sharps Borchardt, in caliber .22-3000 Lovell, with a lined barrel by C.C. Johnson   stocked by William L. Humphrey of Round Hill, Virginia with an Alkanet root stained stock .   What have you got?  I’d say a headache.     

IP Logged

AkMike
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 3:14am
Print Post  
Ahhh a classic case of PWD (posting when drinking) , I wondered if it was eubonics.... Wink Wink

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #3 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 9:01am
Print Post  
There is nothing like SPELL CHECK to convince you that there is a direct correlation to eye-hand coordination and alcohol.   

Try it sometime - sit down and start typing about a page of material and open a beer!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
Come on guys! It ain't Ben's fault that he is from Virginia.

The questions are serious though, and Mr. MP nailed the description:

>>>> a Sharps Borchardt, in caliber .22-3000 Lovell, with a lined barrel by C.C. Johnson   stocked by William L. Humphrey of Round Hill, Virginia with an Alkanet root stained stock . <<<<

The rifle is in excellent condition. Any further information and idea of its value with dies and brass and such?

Glenn

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:17pm
Print Post  
The value would depend on the workmanship and overall style of the rifle more than anything else.  Also did the workmen sign the rifle or is there a paper provenance with the rifle. 

Pictures?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 4:55pm
Print Post  
Ben,  CC Johnson's shop records still exist and his grandson is on this board from time to time...maybe he can help you out with some info about when the rifle was built, what CC and whoever else did on it at the time, etc (so you could tell what was done later.)  He will need the 3 or 4 digit number you will found stamped on the lower side of the barrel (under the fore arm wood) to track it down.  Also, can you tell whether this was based on a military or a sporter receiver?  Is it paneled, and if yes, with what material?  All of these, as well as condition, will lead to an ultimate ability to ESTIMATE worth, even though the rifle is not in hand to do a more firm evaluation.

HTH, Froggie

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: c c johnson bowchart - with pictures
Reply #7 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
What we have here, going on appearance only, is a fine example of a forties or fifties varmint rifle. I, for one, would enjoy owning such a rifle. Brass is again available, but is pricy and would be a "put off" for a "normal" customer. However, that would not preclude a decent value for the rifle.

We, here, are mostly Schuetzen types, but there are many of us that also appreciate the use of a single shot for other purposes. The Sharps-Borschardt is an excellent choice for a single shot varmint rifle.

Dale53

IP Logged

AkMike
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
In picture #3, does it say "22 long rifle" or just "long rifle" on the barrel?
That is a nice looking old varmit rifle!

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #9 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Not much of a welcome for a new poster fellas!
Welcome Bens, and thanks for the pictures. 
As Dale53 said, it's a nice old sporter, with typical post WWII era custom work.
I agree with Dale on another point, I'd love to own it, even if it isn't a schuetzen, or original configuration!

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

FITZ
Oldtimer

REGARDS

Reply #10 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 8:47pm
Print Post  
Fellas, from what I see that is a reworked military Borchardt action. The front of the reciever has a flat bottom where the sling swivel used to be.It was common when making these into varmint or sporting rifles to machine it off and make flat bottom. All the sporting or target rifles I have are rounded at the bottom. The other place is at the top front of the reciever, here again it is plain and square shaped where the sporting models had a shaped and relievd top edge that went from the front of the reciever to where the breech block face is in the reciever. Having said all this does not mean to knock this fine old rifle. Still a desirable piece. Confusion?? In the original post bens said it was in 22-3000 Now we know this was one of CC Johnsons favorite calibers is it a 22-3000 or is it a .22 long rifle? I in fact have a CC Johnson 22-3000 on a Borchardt. But on close examination realised he had sleeved right inside the original bore, I could still see rifling at the muzzle where the liner was soldered in. So, I disassembled the rifle and heated the barrel up on the kitchen stove until I saw solder weeping and  then took it down to the celler and drove the liner out. Guess what? There was still another liner in it. So, I heated it up again and drove that one out and found an almost pristene .45 caliber bore inside. It is an original Sharps barrel.
I had to sleeve the chamber area because it had been reamed out to make a head or large end for the chamber end of the barrel in 22-3000. I then restored this rifle and shot it for many years and it was and still is a really fine rifle. So bens you have fine pc of history and as froggie said the records are available. I think you can get it documented right through ASSRA. HTH and congradulations, FITZ

FITZ

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 12:43am
Print Post  
For what it’s worth I think that’s a 1922 Springfield .22 caliber barrel.  Eric Johnson records are available but I did not know that Charles Johnson’s were.

If you want more information you will have to post how and by whom it is marked. I would be surprised if a professional did the stock work.   

IP Logged

MP
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:18am
Print Post  
I’m obviously over my head and unable to communicate on this subject.  I’m sure that others with more experience with rifles such as yours can better help you.  ??? ??? ???

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 5:56am
Print Post  
CC Johnson shop records are available as Herr Frog said, but not through ASSRA archives. The young Mr. Johnson (ASSRA member) visits this site on occasion but I believe infrequently. As I see him on a weekly basis (about 10 mi. away) a good bet on getting info would be to post on this forum or private message particulars  and contact info to me and I will assuredly pass it on to Jerry.   

BTW, I know these are not schuetzen but if these Johnson rifles are found to be too much of a headache, just deposit them in my garbage can and I will glady take care of them for you.

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Reply #14 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 1:12pm
Print Post  
Ben - when it comes to value there are many ways of establishing it.
1. Comparitive value of similar product.
2. Cost to produce.
3. Emotional value - it was my father's only gun ....

Let me say that often (useful for purchasing guns) that the fast nickle beats the slow dime.  When someone NEEDS money the relative value grows smaller.  So too, crank in a little competition (auction) and the prices go way up!

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 3:41pm
Print Post  
Humphrey was a well known stockmaker before WWII and I think up into the 1950s, did work for Townsend Whelen.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2006 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Quote:
For what it’s worth I think that’s a 1922 Springfield .22 caliber barrel.  

I would be surprised if a professional did the stock work.  

I think you just repeated what Ben said re the 1922 bbl.

Also I think the stockwork looks fairly professional and strongly resembles those few Humphrey stocks I've seen, with the exception of there being no checkering on Ben's stock. A few Humphrey stocks can be seen in Whelen's book Mister Rifleman. While maybe not quite as nice as the beautiful and enduring style of the G&H or Hoffman rifles of the same time period, the Humphrey stocks are nevertheless very attractive and well-proportioned. I'd be proud to own the rifle, Humphrey-stocked or not.

FITZ of course is correct, the action came from either a musket or a Business Rifle as shown by the receiver contours. BTW not all muskets were military contracts, I have a very early Borchardt musket with a factory letter showing shipment to a store in NYC.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 8:14am
Print Post  
It looks like another of those moral issues. Leave it alone or make something usefull out of it.

As Is it's a re-worked old action and not very well done at that. As it could be re-worked a 2nd time a truly fine long range single shot.

If I owned it and unless some collector steped up with big bucks it would go straight to a good gunsmith for a total re-build into a 45/90 long range gun

That's my opinion 

Boats

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 27th, 2006 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Quote:

As Is it's a re-worked old action and not very well done at that. Boats

Actually I thought it was kinda well done for what it is...........

The examples of the C.C. Johnson rifles I have examined, owned and shot all had metalwork that can only be described as impeccable, and the stockwork on this particular example is much better-looking than most I've seen. Like I said, I'd be proud to own it.

Remember tastes change, and it's a fact that some of these old custom single shots, even the varmintized ones, are becoming quite desirable. BP (and single shot) rifles went out of fashion for a long time but came back with a rush about 20 yrs ago, and now it seems that it's the custom rifles' turn.
FWIW, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Well everybody has different taste. I owned a CC Johnson Ballard that had been converted to a smallbore prone rifle. I was going to make a Schuetzen out of it but was put off by a lot of advice to leave it alone as a collectors piece.

It was for sale for over 2 years with no takers and I finaly let it go for what I paid for it. Cheap too but thinking back I bought it under the same deal Cheap. Friend had owned it a long time and found no takers.

Value is only what someone will pay. While a Borchart Varmit with a M1922 barrel is intresting I bet it will not bring over the value of the action. But I could be wrong.

Boats

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 8:22am
Print Post  
Quote:

Value is only what someone will pay. While a Borchart Varmit with a M1922 barrel is intresting I bet it will not bring over the value of the action. But I could be wrong.

Boats

Apparently you are.  Ben tells me it brought twice what I paid for a similar action.
Brent

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 10:28am
Print Post  
IMO a sale for a reasonable amount is dependent upon just exactly where it's offered.

I've offered a number of things on this board with absolutely no takers, but had great results elsewhere. For instance I recently offered Clarence the Collector's Lyman 5A scope and very rare original leather case on this forum for what I considered a reasonable price, $600. No takers, only one person expressed any interest and no offers were made.

Had absolutely NO trouble getting $700 on eBay, there was a lotta bidding competition and the buyer was very happy.

Just wish I could have afforded to buy 'em myself (Ben's rifle and Clarence's scope). Like Boats said, I guess it comes down to personal taste. I've got three Borchardts and none of them will become a long-range BP rifle. Nothing against LR BPCR, I just like other forms of shooting better.
Regards, Joe

BTW Brent, good luck on your new Borchardt!

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 11:42am
Print Post  
Thanks, Joe, I'll need it.   

Don't forget how many times I've dissed hammerless rifles as being too ugly to deserve a second life - Now I have way too much sunk into this Borchie to turn back (.38-55 btw), AND I have a .577/450 Martini on the way.  What a hypocrit.  I can hardly face the mirror in the  morning any more.   

But that lowwall you sold me is still my most accurate rifle by far and my favorite.   

Brent

PS.  $600 for a Win 5A with leather case is a total steal!  Has no one here noticed what scopes sell for these days?   

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

True faith...
Reply #23 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Brent, nice to know you finally have discovered the True Faith - i.e. hammerless rifles.  FWIW, as regards US-made rifles, the Borchardt is my absolute favourite - pity they are so expensive, otherwise I would already own one - but there's always a Martini getting in the way...  Just put my hands on the latest Westley-richards ZAR, BTW:  Imagine a BSA cadet, but full-sized, and chambered in 577-450, military pattern.
Here some pics:

And also, some detail pics of the Francotte insides:

Finally, some general pics:

I also shot it last weekend, and the results were promising....

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 2:08pm
Print Post  
I'm sorry Gert, I cannot say that I share your love of the things, but I do see them as "proper" rifles for the chore at hand.  So, I guy has to do what a guy has to do.  Mine is a .577/450 that looks like:

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #25 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 3:04pm
Print Post  
As to sporters, here my 'flashy' one - it actually is a Swinburn, but that still is a Martini variant.  Does have an (internal) hammer though:

I for one wouldn't like to carry this one around though - you really need a gunbearer!  But it is quite classy...

IP Logged

gunsbrad
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Feb 28th, 2006 at 3:38pm
Print Post  
very nice

what calibre is that thing?

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Swinburn calibre
Reply #27 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 3:58am
Print Post  
Brad,
This one is also in the omnipresent 577-450, of course...  Quite a popular round in SA, as it was readily available - and considered good enough for all plains game, except the thick-skinned variety.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: Swinburn calibre
Reply #28 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 4:34am
Print Post  
Quote:
Brad,
This one is also in the omnipresent 577-450, of course...  Quite a popular round in SA, as it was readily available - and considered good enough for all plains game, except the thick-skinned variety.

Would that include eland?  That's my intention for my 577/450.

Brent

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 7:40am
Print Post  
Eland?  No, certainly not thick-skinned - Buffalo is thick-skinned plainsgame!  They were considered as perfectly adequate for Kudu and Wildebeest, so Eland shouldn't be any problem whatsoever...  Just ask DoubleD, he used a 577-450 to shoot a nice Kudu in SA. Dropped it with a single shot, I believe.  And Kudu is quite big indeed!

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Mar 1st, 2006 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Quote:

$600 for a Win 5A with leather case is a total steal!  Has no one here noticed what scopes sell for these days?  

I couldn't quite figure it out either. 5A scopes in that condition are bringing $400-500 all day long, and one prominent single shot dealer said that the case should bring almost as much as the scope. Go figure. Well, at least someone else got a really good deal on a rig that we may never see again. You guys just remember, you saw it here first and passed it up!

MB, that's a heckuva nice-looking sidelever, reminds me of my Field's Patent sidelever Martini but yours is a lot nicer. Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint