Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) D.S. Cole actions (Read 8281 times)
KWK
Senior Forum Member

D.S. Cole actions
Feb 13th, 2005 at 5:49am
Print Post  
Has anyone handled a Cole action?  I've been curious about it since I saw it in one of Grant's books.  I enjoyed reading its patent sheet from the Patent Office's web site.  It looks marvelously simple, but I wonder if the cocking action is annoyingly stiff.

Hopefully Ken Hurst will come across this topic.  I see here he is having one made from the Rodney Storie castings, with the work done by a Steven Durren.  I talked with Durren a few months ago, but at that time, he hadn't fitted up the hammer and so couldn't comment on the action's smoothness.

Karl
IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: D.S. Cole actions
Reply #1 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 1:10am
Print Post  
KWK,   It is true that the action hasn't been completed yet. I will be happy to comment about its quality but feel Steve D. could do a better job. Keep in touch with Steve and he can keep you up to date.  I also own a Redfied action with dbl set triggers built from casting made by Rodney --- very nice indeed.  Recently Glenn Fewless (HST) finished a Rodney S. cast Hepburn action for me. I must say "Without fear of contridiction", I would rather have this Hepburn . Glenn did what I can only call a masterful job of fitting, tuning and polishing this action --- all a man could ask for.  Look for an article about this action & cover shot on Journal in the next few issues.  I would also like to Highly recommend Glenns work as well as the stock work by "First Shirt" (Greg Pennell) --- both craftsmen are superb !!  Ken

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Thank you, Ken.  I'll call Durren in a month or two, to see what he thinks.  The comments on 'smiths to build up a gun from the Storie actions are quite welcome, for Durren mentioned this isn't his usual line of work.  I'm sure you gathered I'm tempted to have a Cole built.  I'll try to reactivate this thread once I hear more.

Karl
IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2005 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
KWK,    I would suggest you contact Rodney and get pictures of his Redfield action.  Green Frog has seen mine & indicated he would like to own one.  I think enough of mine to have engraved & gold inlayed Antelope & mule deer on it.  Good luck with your Cole if you buy one.  If you could buy a casting and send to Steve, he would be up to date on all the how to's step by step & etc.    Ken

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 2:15am
Print Post  
When I talked to Steve Durren about the Cole he was working on, he said he wouldn't be available to do another one, but perhaps it could yet fit into his schedule.  I believe I read here the Storie castings are being handled by a Frontier Armory.  Do you recommend I contact them or Storie directly?  I have an e-mail address I found for Storie.  I do intend to see what actions he has available.

Karl
IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
If Steve doesn't want to work with casting, I suggest Glenn Fewless (HST) as he did my Hepburn. The hepburn was so well done that I'd take itover an old action --- better steel and better fit of parts !!!   It won't be cheap but, Glenn turns out only the finest work !!   Ken

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 3:59pm
Print Post  
KWK,     sorry but I forgot to answer your question. I always contact Rodney as I know him. Either way, ask for pictures of the Redfield action, I believe you will love it as everyone else does.    Ken

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2005 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Thanks again, Ken.  I had noticed in these forums praise for the work of Fewless from both you and others, and I have added this information to my notebook.   

The Redfield action is covered in de Haas's Potpourri... book, complete with a picture of a replica based on a Storie action.  It is a clever action, and from the drawing I imagine it is suitable for cartridges similar to those of a No. 5 rolling block.  However, hoping to chamber for a somewhat more powerful cartridge this time, I'm looking for a falling block.

Karl

p.s. I just got off the phone with Frontier Armory, and I will be receiving their literature on Storie's actions before long.  The fellow mentioned Storie is working on moulds for new actions to be released later this year.

Karl
IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 16th, 2005 at 11:46am
Print Post  
KWK,   glad to hear you touched base with them & are getting info.  My Redfield is bbl'd in 40-60 Maynard, same cart. Garby used to win the nationals with. I am sure it could hold the same cart. a Ballard did.  Good luck with the Cole.     Ken

IP Logged

KWK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - May 3rd, 2005 at 2:14am
Print Post  
For those curious about the Cole action castings, I have an update which I hope Ken won't mind my posting...

I talked last week with Steve Durren, and he has run into some snags with the Storie castings.  From the sound of it, the action Storie worked from (if he was indeed able to find one) certainly wasn't set up for modern primers. The cocking cam doesn't move the hammer back soon enough to allow the firing pin to retract as the breech begins to drop. 

I recall de Haas writing that some old BP rifles had fairly blunt firing pins which could be dragged out of the indentation they made. Modern firing pins don't like this treatment.

Steve is mulling several options, and all the ones I could think of were already on his list.  I'll talk with him again in six months, to see what solution he selected.  Perhaps we'll read about this in a future issue of the Journal, where he has written several fine articles.

It's an intriguing action, and I look forward to hearing his comments.
« Last Edit: May 3rd, 2005 at 9:41pm by KWK »  

Karl
IP Logged

sakoman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Feb 25th, 2006 at 9:47am
Print Post  
What are the details on the Redfield action?  What type is it and who makes it?

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint