Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Pope Barrels (Read 15444 times)
thickside
Ex Member

Pope Barrels
Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Is anyone building Pope style barrels?  Either duplicating his rifling or muzzleloading a grease groove bullet with a false muzzle.  If not, I wonder why not?
Thickside

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Re: Pope Barrels
Reply #1 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 2:48pm
Print Post  
Krieger Barrels is the only barrel maker that I know of who presently offers the Pope Rifling --there are probably others.
                                                               leadball

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #2 - Feb 18th, 2006 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
Ron Snover DID offer a modified Pope style rifling- don't know if he still does.  He is presently located in Greenville, TN.

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Paul_F.
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 19th, 2006 at 11:17pm
Print Post  
Forgive a relative newbie... but I've seen references to "Pope rifling", but never an explanation of what it is..

So, uh, what it is? Uh, is it?

Paul F.

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Thickside I can't answer for the groves but did ask Paul Shuttleworth if he ever built false muzzle barrels.

He said no it's fairly complicated to do and would increase the cost of a barrel signifigantly.  And his opinion was once smokeless powder and breech seating were developed the false muzzle muzzloading methods were not used much anymore. He saw no advantange to the system.

I can't quote exactly were I read it but did see that the barrels were started as one piece. Drilled for the index pins, false part cut off. Then the false muzzle was honed to a choke bore. Next the index pins were inserted and the sight blocker was installed.  Right much extra work compared to fitting up a normal barrel.

Boats

IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 8:54am
Print Post  
Boats

I just finished reading the book Pope's Barrels and the targets in the book are extraordinary.  The book was written a few years back so I do not know if anyone has bettered those targets, but the C.W. Rowland target that is so well known was shot with a Pope barreled rifle, so I am still surprised noone has tried to duplicate his efforts. Cry

Paul F.

In the early 1900's Harry Pope made barrels and modified winchesters, ballards etc and fit them with his barrel which included inovative rifling  and a false muzzle, while muzzleloading the bullet.  He also went to work with Stevens Co. for a short period of time, but left do to problems with his exacting standards.  Most top target shooters of the day shot his barrels.

Thickside

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #6 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 11:29am
Print Post  
Pope barrels were wonderful for their time. However, we have any number of barrel makers that make a fine product at production prices. I know it is near sacrilegeous, but I venture to say that the modern barrel is superior to anything that Pope turned out. Further, I would like to mention that Rowland's group has been beaten by our very own Schuetzenmeister, Jim Borton, off sandbags (Rowland was using a machine rest), in front of witnesses (Rowland had no witnesses) in one day (Rowland took two days shooting his group). Further, most of Rowland's groups were shot in a mine where conditons played little part. Jim Borton shot his group outdoors.

Pope's system was designed to combat the fouling problems that Black Powder presented. Smokless powder and breechseating do not present those problems, so the "need" for a false muzzle is pretty much gone. However, if "Traditional" black powder gets real popular, we might see a resurgence in the false muzzle.

None of the above is intended to malighn either Pope or Rowland. Their records of achievement (FOR THEIR TIME) will outlast all of us.

Dale53

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 1:03pm
Print Post  
But - to reply to the question, what was the rifling form of the Pope barrel??  Unless I am mistaken, it was some kind of Henry rifling, I believe....  Or not?

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 1:16pm
Print Post  
Quote:
Is anyone building Pope style barrels?  Either duplicating his rifling or muzzleloading a grease groove bullet with a false muzzle.  If not, I wonder why not?
Thickside

Muzzleloading a fully groove diameter bullet will be tougher than you think - fall muzzle or not.   

Bobby Hoyt has been making Pope-rifled barrels for while.  I have one with a false muzzle that I need to get around to building a rifle around one of these days.   

Brent

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #9 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 1:28pm
Print Post  
Pope rifling involved a couple of complimentary components.  The grooves were relatively wide and shallow while the lands were relatively narrow, resulting in minimal distortion of the closely fitted lead bullet.  The bottom center of the groove was almost the same height as the lands.

In addition, the grooves were in what is referred to as "gain twist" configuration so that the bullet would spin faster as it went through the bore rather than going to full spin from standing start.

Also the Pope barrels had a twist that was backwards from the norm as he felt this worked better for some reason I have never completely had explained to me.

This was all off the top of my head and real Pope afficianados may wish to jump in with additions or corrections, but at least it begins to answer MartiniBelgian's question.

HTH, Froggie

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
The reason for Pope's left-hand twist was for the rifle to torque into a off-hand shooters body instead of away from the body.  MAYBE---leadball

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #11 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 2:41pm
Print Post  
Left handed rifling torques the cheek rest away from the shooter.  A very limited number of authentic Pope style rifled barrels have been made on the original equipment in modern times (Ziggy where are you?). Due to the rifling methods used by Pope I would have to say that modern manufacturing techiques still would not best (probably equal) them for barrel to barrel consistancy.  Although not for the faint hearted full blown Pope muzzle loading gain-twist blank should cost at least $1k (and maybe significantly more) considering the 40 to 80 hours of time involved in using the original fabrication methods.  One important factor is that the Pope methods allows a great flexibility in start, end, midpoint, and other twist (form) related parameters.  Someday these will be available again from the private sector however we need to encourage the gentlemen to complete his facility and start taking orders.   

Sorry (Z)...... But i couldn't help myself.

GTalk  
IP Logged

thickside
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 20th, 2006 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
To quote Ray M. Smith's book The Story of Pope' Barrels,
"The eight shallow grooves, approximately 0.004 inch deep, nicely rounded on the bottoms, together with eight narrow lands, provided practically a sixteen-point support to the bullet, and with the shallow grooves and narrow lands, there was the minimum displacement of bullet metal..."
He also used a gain twist rifling and a tapered bore all to improve accuracy and ease in loading which would prevent distortion of the bullet while loading.

Thickside

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 4:22am
Print Post  
The way I see this explained, this is more or less the original design Henry rifling BUT with taper and gaintwist.
FWIW, The original Henry rifling was almost never made as such, the concave part (bottom center) of the grooves being rather hard to produce accurately in large quantities...

IP Logged

Schuetzendave
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2006 at 10:52pm
Print Post  
With some very fine scotch and some persistence the reknowned RKS has been convinced to Pope rifle a barrel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint