Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Winchester M-1885 low wall (Read 25128 times)
smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Winchester M-1885 low wall
Feb 8th, 2006 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
Does anyone know where I can find a firing pin?

DG

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: Winchester M-1885 low wall
Reply #1 - Feb 8th, 2006 at 10:18pm
Print Post  
Ballard Rifle from Cody has them:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Dale53

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 8:57am
Print Post  
Dale53   

Thank you

I will check them out.

DG

Quote:
Ballard Rifle from Cody has them:

Dale53

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #3 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
Incidently, there is no difference between a high-wall and low-wall firing pin.

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Hi

Your right but there is a difference in the retaining screw that secures it.

Incidently the firing pin and screw are on the way from The Ballard Co.

DG   WinkQuote:
Incidently, there is no difference between a high-wall and low-wall firing pin.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 6:44pm
Print Post  
I strongly suggest that you do two things to your new Ballard wall firing pin.

First thoroughly anneal it, please see the thread on case-hardening for suggestions on annealing. Excessive hardness is one of the primary causes of broken firing pins & Ballard pins are known for their breakage.

Then, check the protrusion & retraction timing. The protrusion IMO should not exceed 0.040", a protrusion of as little as 0.030" has actually been shown to be slightly more accurate than, for instance, a protrusion of 0.060", and a protrusion of as little as 0.025" has been shown to be 100% reliable with proper headspace. Excessive f/p protrusion is another one of the primary causes of broken pins in falling block rifles.

The f/p retraction is a third very critical area for falling block rifles, since a late retraction is almost the same as having a too-long f/p nose. If not retracted on time, the f/p nose will hang in the primer indentation & bend or break just as if it was too long.

Ballard walls IME & IMO are known for having f/p problems, at least they've been problems in the past. I've repaired the pins in two BPCRS Ballard walls after the owners had broken several originals & replacements from Ballard because they were too hard & dimensioned wrongly. The bench-repaired replacements are still apparently going strong after a couple of years, and these two guys shoot a LOT of BPCRS, so I'm confident that the correction in these two areas (dimensions & hardness) did the trick.
Good luck with yours, Joe

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 6:56pm
Print Post  
JD

Thanks very much for the information and it will be passed on to the gunsmith that now has the rifle. 

I should have stated in my inquiry that the rifle in question is a .22 RF with a # 3 barrel if that makes any difference in your suggestion.  It would seem the potential problems would be somewhat less dealing with a .22 RF but then again I have no experience with either.  My experience is mostly with Stevens rolling blocks for the most part.  I felt in this case taking it to a smith was the proper thing to do.  Any comments dealing with my rifle would be appreciated.

DG 

[quote author=JDSteele link=board=ssr;num=1139451178;start=0#5 date=02/09/06 at 18:44:56]I strongly suggest that you do two things to your new Ballard wall firing pin.

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2006 at 8:41am by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 7:30pm
Print Post  
My comments still apply even though I personally haven't encountered any broken Ballard RF pins, yet. My particular specific repair method for the CF pins won't work on the RF ones but the hardness & dimension issues still apply, and repair shouldn't become an issue if your smith pays attention in these areas.

Protrusion on a RF should be limited to a MAXIMUM of 0.040" and IMO 0.030"-0.035" is better. Nominal RF rim thickness is ~0.042" so any protrusion greater than 0.040" will almost certainly dent the chamber edge if the rifle is dry-fired.

Actually on the wall RFs this isn't specifically true since the f/p would strike the extractor instead of the barrel, but this merely means that the f/p nose would be damaged instead of the chamber edge. So make sure the RF protrusion doesn't exceed 0.035" and you'll be safe.

Some of you will say that a RF should never be dry-fired under any circumstances. My reply is that any quality RF will stand almost unlimited dry-firing if properly annealed & dimensioned. I've dry-fired my RFs literally hundreds of thousands of times with no problems & so IMO if dry-firing causes damage then the rifle is faulty; just as simple as that, period and end of discussion.
Sorry for the mini-rant but this is a sore subject with me, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Feb 9th, 2006 at 7:51pm
Print Post  
Do not take JD's suggestions lightly. It is common to have to "fit" firing pins to a particular rifle when dealing with single shots in general. I have personally witnessed firing pin failures the first time a new firing pin is used due to failure to "draw" the firing pin. 

JD, a really good post with details that should help anyone solve their now and future problems.

Dale53

IP Logged

PowderFlask2
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:05am
Print Post  
Would this firing pin protrusion issue also hold true for the Extractor

I recently had a low wall rebarreled and the original extractor broke after firing it about 20 times, I replaced the extractor and heat treated it and it broke after firing it 3 times.

Both broke right where the firing pin hits it, the third and hopefully last extrctor is on the way. What do I need to do to insure this one lasts awhile?

Gary

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 10:53am
Print Post  
JD

I have searched for the thread you mention and so far haven't found it.  Can you identify the thread concerning "Case-hardening"?

DG

[quote author=JDSteele link=board=ssr;num=1139451178;start=0#5 date=02/09/06 at 18:44:56]I strongly suggest that you do two things to your new Ballard wall firing pin.

First thoroughly anneal it, please see the thread on case-hardening for suggestions on annealing. Excessive hardness is one of the primary causes of broken firing pins & Ballard pins are known for their breakage.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 1:52pm
Print Post  
Smoke, now I can't find the thread either so I'll try to give you a rundown below.

Gary, obviously the annealing issue does apply to the extractor as well. Also you obviously have a too-long firing pin nose (too much protrusion), it should protrude no more than 0.040" at the MAXIMUM, IMO 0.030"-0.035" is much better. This amount of protrusion is plenty for good ignition but is too short to hit the chamber edge, or in the case of the walls, too short to hit the extractor.

But your extractor should not be so hard that it breaks if struck. This is waaaay too hard, actually no additional hardness is needed on this non-critical part and so you didn't need to have it heat treated. I would suggest that you limit your f/p protrusion & anneal your next extractor and firing pin.

To anneal, heat the part to a red heat & soak for a few moments, then allow to cool VERY slowly. You can heat with a propane or oxyacetylene torch, an oven, a forge or a stove. Just make sure that the heat is higher than the red heat of the part, and cool it slowly. If you heat to a red heat of 1200-1400F then the part will become fairly soft, soft enough so that it will deform before it tears or breaks. If you heat only to ~600-800F as with the self-cleaning cycle of the kitchen oven, then the part will sometimes retain enough hardness to cause problems. It probably won't crack or break but may remain somewhat hard to file or polish easily.

To prevent scale, coat the part with soap before heating red. To cool slowly, cover the part with either sand or ashes or some other insulator or leave it in the hot oven to cool overnight. I have also air-cooled parts somewhat faster by continuing to play the torch over the part while gradually withdrawing the flame farther and farther away over a period of several minutes. That's minutes, not moments, about 3-5 min is usually enough to do an adequate job. That's 3-5 full minutes before finally removing the torch flame, the part should still be at ~600-800F when the flame is finally removed.

You shouldn't have a problem with your new extractor if you'll limit your f/p protrusion to the proper dimension, but if it was my extractor then I'd be inclined to anneal it as well as the firing pin itself.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #12 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 2:01pm
Print Post  
JD

Thanks for the info.  Now if I can just get my smith to read your suggestions.  You know how smiths are, sometimes they take adivce rather reluctantly.

DG  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

PowderFlask2
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 5:10pm
Print Post  
Thanks Joe

That makes sense, all but the do not heat treat part, but I will take your advise and anneal it and try that for awhile (I will keep an eye out for axcessive wear however)

I will also take a critical look at the firing pin protrusion

Thanks again

Gary

IP Logged

PowderFlask2
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Feb 12th, 2006 at 5:11pm
Print Post  
that should have been "excessive" damn fat fingers

Gary

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #15 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 9:08am
Print Post  
Good morning, Folks;

The case hardening thread is in the gunsmithing section.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 6:17pm
Print Post  
I got to thinkin' about this (I know, I know.............) & decided to add some more info FWIW.

I'm a particular fan of wall RFs and have examined a lot of 'em & built a fair number also. It's my experience that the dimensions of the 22RF extractors can vary quite widely and so can cause problems in some cases. Remember, the wall RF headspaces upon the extractor.

All the original 22RF extractors that I personally have ever examined have shown signs of filing on the front face, across the face where it sits against the face of the breechblock when the action is closed. Not only that, I've also seen wide variations in the depth of the rim cut, the overall thickness of the extractor and the thickness remaining under the rim cut. This sometimes has caused me problems until things were sorted out, and it means that frequently the 22RF extractors won't interchange properly. And remember, the wall 22RF headspaces upon the extractor.

It's my theory that all 22RF extractors were originally fit to their individual rifles by filing the face until the breechblock would close. Just my theory, nothing concrete to base it upon except observation and measurement of several dozen original rifles.

Regardless, I suggest that you examine your new extractor's dimensions and how they match the rifle. For instance I've found original extractors with rim cut depths of as little as 0.035" and as much as 0.075", have also seen overall thicknesses vary by close to 0.100"; with this sort of variation it's mighty difficult for parts to interchange and operate properly. And remember, the wall RF headspaces upon the extractor.

So please have your smith read this, and if he has questions I'll be happy to go into it in more (MUCH more, if he wants) detail in a telecon. And then I'm gonna remind him that the wall RF headspaces upon the extractor.

There's also sometimes a problem with the case wall splitting at the top of the extractor cut, but this a problem for another thread.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Feb 13th, 2006 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
JD

I talked with my smith today and relayed the jest of of your suggestions concerning the Brinel hardness of the firing pins secured from the Ballard Rifle Co. as well as the dimensions of protrusion of the pin from the face of the block.  He was cognisant of the dimensions you suggested.  I gave him the web address of this forum and he was receptive to log in and read this thread.  I have every reason to believe he will make an appearance.

Again I appreciate your time and trouble to give us you feedback on a potential problem.

DG [quote author=JDSteele link=board=ssr;num=1139451178;start=15#16 date=02/13/06 at 18:17:28]I got to thinkin' about this (I know, I know.............) & decided to add some more info FWIW.

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Feb 14th, 2006 at 2:33pm
Print Post  
Please see my additional response in the Gunsmithing section, still more info, regards, Joe

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #19 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 1:25pm
Print Post  
Well I recieved my rifle back and  Angry!.  It still will not fire.  I called the smith and was told he fired several "Shorts" in it.  I have been doing some experimenting and have an opinion or two and need an opinion or two from someone on this board to agree of disagree.  I am doing the following using fired long rifle cases that chamber perfectly in the chamber which leads me to believe the rifle probably has been chambered for long rifles in spite of being marked .22 Shorts on the barrel.

1. After cocking the rifle, you can push the firing pin a thousands or two beyound flush into the block with your finger.

2. I can take a 3/16" x 36" dowell, insert it into the muzzle and push the fired case against the face of the block and move the firing pin approximately .040 -.050 out of the block.

This leads me to believe there is excessive head space!!.  Further I notice the firing pin is hitting the extractor and preventing the proper indentation to fire the round. (See photos).  I then inserted a cleaning rod in the muzzle and sat it on the concrete floor to hold a back up on the case in the chamber and released the hammer and obtained a fair indentation on the case but not as deep as I would like to see.

I think the firing pin could be relieved on the bottom slightly and obtain clearance to get a good strike but am not sure if this is the answer.  The head space issue concerns me.  Your opinions please!!

DG
« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2006 at 1:36pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #20 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 3:15pm
Print Post  
Mr. SMoke:

There are a number of things that could be causing you this grief. Since you take such good pictures, could you post one of a mis-fired case head? We could tell something from the firing pin mark.

You can get a feel for the head space by inserting a case and feeling how far below flush it goes, and then seeing how much space is between the barrel and the breech block when the action is closed. Not precise but you should be able to tell if there is enough to cause ignition problems.

Glenn

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #21 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Hst

To keep from posting pictures to this thread, please go to (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) and look in Album # 4.  I have disassembled the rifle and relieved the firing pin on the bottom a little and now am getting a shallow half-moon strike that may let the rifle fire.  I am going to the range tomorrow and will post the results.

Looking at the two fired rounds, the one on left is what I was getting until I relieved the bottom of the pin.  The one on the right is what I am getting now.

I measured how far the case seated into the extractor and as near as I can tell it's .023, see the photos of the depth gauge and the feeler gauge I used to estimate.

I can get a .020 feeler gauge between the block and the barrel when the rifle is cocked and ready to fire with a fired case in the chamber.

DG
Quote:
Mr. SMoke:

There are a number of things that could be causing you this grief. Since you take such good pictures, could you post one of a mis-fired case head? We could tell something from the firing pin mark.

You can get a feel for the head space by inserting a case and feeling how far below flush it goes, and then seeing how much space is between the barrel and the breech block when the action is closed. Not precise but you should be able to tell if there is enough to cause ignition problems.

Glenn

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 5:41pm
Print Post  
DG, you got trouble. Not bad trouble, but trouble nevertheless. It appears to me, from looking at the pictures and reading your words, that your rifle does indeed have a lot of excessive headspace. According to my understanding, the rifle could have as much as 0.040"-0.050" excessive headspace in addition to the nominal rim thickness dimension of 0.042"-0.044". Please see my information (on adjusting the wall RF headspace and extractor shape) that's posted in the Gunsmithing section.

Also it appears to me that your firing pin is hitting entirely too low, ENTIRELY too low. AAMOF I've never seen a 22RF wall strike that low, not even close to that low. I wonder if someone hasn't substituted a 25RF or 32RF block for the original 22RF one. Are there any numbers stamped in the side of the block, down inside where they're not visible unless disassembled?

A somewhat less-serious version of this striking-low condition is relatively common with some walls and can usually be corrected or at least greatly alleviated  by bending the finger lever to remove most of the overtravel built into the wall's toggle linkage. Bending the lever will raise the strike of the firing pin by ~0.015", which may not be enough but is better than a sharp stick in the eye (VBG).

If you've been an ASSRA member for a few years, you may remember that the Journal published a pair of articles (mine) a few years ago that dealt with this over-center toggle linkage issue in the wall rifles. Also, Frank de Haas has published some good info on the same subject in his books Single Shot Rifles and Actions and Mr. Single Shot's Gunsmithing Idea Book. Please feel free to call me (both you and/or your smith) if you have further questions. I figure you will.

If you have a substituted 32RF block, you may also need a longer link to raise the strike even more. I believe longer links are available from Ballard 'cause I've seen a Ballard link with a dimension on it; why put one dimension if there aren't some more dimensions to differentiate from?
Like I said, feel free to call, good luck, Joe
601  924  3191

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
Mr. Smoke:

Your rifle has "issues".

One thing that will help is a new action link, the link between the lever and the block, with a longer hole spacing. This will raise the position of the block and move everything in a positive direction. It will  move the firing pin up so it for sure will clear the extractor, and will put the bottom edge of the pin on the rim of the case. This will be the part of the firing pin tip that protrudes the farthest.

Because of the angle of the block mortise, moving the block up also moves it forward, reducing the excessive headspace. It will not make everything all better, but it may well be enough to make everything work.

Glenn

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #24 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Well, late again...

Anyway, what Mr. Steele said.

Glenn

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #25 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 7:44pm
Print Post  
I am going to call The Ballard Co. tomorrow and see if they have a "Action Link".  After reading the comments by Mr Steele and yourself, and my attempts at measuring things it seems the logical problem is a block has been substituted for the original.  The more I look at this thing, a block for a .25RF would explain where the pin is hitting the extractor.

This rifle was quoted as being in good working order but that doesn't seem to be correct.  I am wondering now if replacing the action link will solve one problem and only create something else that will need to be addressed??

I am going to disassemble the rifle again and look for any numbers of any kind stamped in the block.

JDSteele  I have looked all through the "Gunsmith" section and can't your post "Adjusting the head space on a LW"

DG

[quote author=hst link=board=ssr;num=1139451178;start=15#23 date=03/02/06 at 17:53:38]Mr. Smoke:

Your rifle has "issues".

« Last Edit: Mar 2nd, 2006 at 8:07pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Mar 2nd, 2006 at 8:23pm
Print Post  
Please see "1885 22 rimfire case splitting", I'll paste my reply below. The thread is about splitting, but the solution is exactly the same as for excessive headspace.

<<Gary, the wall RF extractor fingers extend up slightly higher than the centerline of the chamber, so that the next cartridge to be chambered cannot (we hope) slip into the chamber past the fingers and thereby jam the rifle. When the extractor is in the 'open' or 'extracted' position, the extractor fingers have pivoted so far to the rear that their tops have dropped down a significant distance, often enough so that the next cartridge rim can slip past them if they weren't longer than the normal CF extractor fingers. The extra length and double fingers ensure that the next cartridge is held by the fingers and can't slip forward into the chamber ahead of them. 

However this extra length means that, if the inside of the extractor fingers were cut to follow the chamber's edge exactly, then the tops of the fingers would neck down slightly (come closer together) at the section where they rise up beyond the chamber's centerline. Well, when the extractor pivots to the rear to extract the case, then the tips of the fingers will start to move downward slightly as they move to the rear since their pivot point is now somewhat forward, under the rear of the chamber. 

As the extractor ends move downward, if the tips are closer together than the sides then they will grab the case and prevent it from extracting freely. Accordingly, the extractor fingertips are not cut to follow the chamber's edge precisely at the portion that falls above the chamber centerline, they have a slight clearance there. If you'll examine an original extractor closely, you'll see that the extractor fingers actually are cut so that they are parallel to one another in the portions above the chamber centerline, and many of them actually have a small chamfer at their tips. 

The parallel places and especially the chamfers mean that the cartridge case is somewhat unsupported in two spots, the places at the tops of the fingers where they must become parallel in order to clear the case walls upon extraction. Well, sometimes the original extractors are a little small at these points and so they allow enough clearance for the case to expand significantly and sometimes blow out. 

It's my practice to try to eliminate this as much as possible, of course, and I normally do it when I'm checking and adjusting the extractor's headspace dimensions. I first cut the face of the extractor back until the rim depth is ~0.035"-0.040", no more, then fit the extractor to the rifle by adjusting the overall extractor thickness. 

To decrease the thickness it's easy to grind or file it thinner, but normally on an existing rifle it will be necessary to go in the opposite direction and make it slightly thicker in order to get a snug fit and minimum headspace. I usually do this by silver-soldering although I have used epoxy or Black Max on occasion. 

I thin the rear of the extractor until I have enough room for a thin shim of steel behind it, extending across the entire rear face of the extractor and connecting both fingers across the chamber, then I attach it (as I say, I prefer silver-solder). After the adhesive has cured or the solder has cooled, then I gradually thin the rear of the shim until the breechblock will just barely close. At this point the extractor thickness is just right but there's still a portion of the shim blocking the chamber. 

I remove the extractor and use needle files to take out most of the part of the shim that blocks the chamber, but I don't  remove it all just yet. I take it down almost to the edge of the chamber, then reinstall the extractor in the rifle and use the chamber reamer to make the final cut on the extractor's inner curve at the chamber's edge. 

A cartridge will now chamber but the headspace is now too tight (remember the 0.035"-0.040" dimension above?) and so the block won't quite close on it yet. I use the chamber reamer to gradually deepen the chamber until I can close the block on an unfired case against some resistance. The headspace is now about as good as I can make it. Now I remove the extractor, cut the parallels on the top insides of the fingers and smooth & polish everything, especially the upper inside ends of the fingers, to ensure that they release the case freely upon extraction. 

The silver-solder or epoxy will always collect in the corners where the shim meets the edge of the fingers, and this extra material is very useful in making sure that the little unsupported spaces are filled in as much as possible. Frequently the factory-dimensioned fingers don't meet the chamber's edge but the extra attaching material helps greatly in filling any small gaps. 

There's no way to get rid of all the gap, and the slight bulge under the case rim is somewhat unsightly, but it can be greatly minimized by following this procedure.>>

HTH, please ask if you have any questions, regards, Joe

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #27 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
I dissasemled the rifle again and found "22" stamped in the side of the breechblock.  I assume this means its a .22 block.  I did notice when inspecting the lever pin, I found it worn and not round at all.  Also the pins between the breechblock, finger lever and action link also are somewhat "Sloppy".  I think if these pins were replaced it may raise the block slightly and may allow the firing pin to miss the extractor.  Any comments???

DG
« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2006 at 7:45pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #28 - Mar 4th, 2006 at 10:44pm
Print Post  
Smoke- replace the pins!  It also appears evident that the cartridge is sitting well below the rear of the barrel and the extractor- you may need to set it back a turn and have it rechambered properly. At 16 TPI that will be .0625 of setback, plenty to clean it up. A new link MAY help too, but will not correct the headspace issue as I see it.

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:15am
Print Post  
Quote:
Smoke- replace the pins!  It also appears evident that the cartridge is sitting well below the rear of the barrel and the extractor- you may need to set it back a turn and have it rechambered properly. At 16 TPI that will be .0625 of setback, plenty to clean it up. A new link MAY help too, but will not correct the headspace issue as I see it.

When you set back a barrel like this, how do you deal with the forearm and lever screws?   

Brent

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Slot the mainspring screw hole toward the receiver, so as to allow the spring to move forward in relation to the new position of its mounting hole. Then either shorten the forearm from the rear or make a new forearm mounting stud to space the mounting position forward. There are other ways but these are the simplest IMO.

I'd be inclined to reline the bbl.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Singleshot

Well here is an update and I hope maybe someone will benifit from my experience.

I Disassembled the rifle again and drove out the upper link pin and found it to be badly worn.  I tried to drive out the lower link pin but just couldn't get it out but in the process it did tighten it up on the lever.  I made two pins out of a # 9 drill shank that fit the bore for the pins perfectly, one for the upper link and one for the lever.  I re-assemled the rifle and found it extremely tight at first.  When the action closes it takes a darn good push to get it started to open.  Here are the results.  The rifle will now fire.  The firing pin does not hit the extractor.  The extractor now seats into the barrel like it is supposed to.  When you put a round in the chamber it is vertually flush with the face of the extractor.  When you close the block with a round in the chamber there is .013 clearance between the block and the extractor.  The excessive headspace problem has almost disappeared.  Sometimes it helps to think about a problem before jumping to the wrong conclusion.  Now if I could just drag some new riflings through the bore I would say the day hasn't been a total loss.

DG  Cheesy

Quote:
Smoke- replace the pins!  It also appears evident that the cartridge is sitting well below the rear of the barrel and the extractor- you may need to set it back a turn and have it rechambered properly. At 16 TPI that will be .0625 of setback, plenty to clean it up. A new link MAY help too, but will not correct the headspace issue as I see it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update Don! good luck!
Vall

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #33 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Good to go then! If you can "spot in" the extractor as Joe has described elsewhere then the tightness should go away- just try it EVERY time before taking any more off the back of it. Or, if you have a 22 reamer, a VERY light cut with it till it closes "snugly", but not tight. Since it WAS a Short- reline is good option, as Joe also said.

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #34 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Don- not clear on this- is it tight without a shell in the chamber?

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Singleshot

Yes its tight with no shell in the chamber. However I think that in the process of trying to remove the bottom pin in the action link, the pin is probably "Flaired" from the punch strikes.
 I thought about drilling the pin out but decided to leave well enough alone and leave that up to a "Gunsmith" in case it turns into having to install a larger pin.  I am going to try and go to the range today and shoot a few rounds and see how many if any "Missfires" I get.  I agree, I think it will loosen up with a little use.

Also, I am thinking seriously about having it relined, after checking the fired long riflle cases against a short, I am now convinced its chamberd for .22 short with wear so much as to accept a "Long Rifle".

DG

Quote:
Don- not clear on this- is it tight without a shell in the chamber?

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Singleshot

I know its been a while but we had a medical emergency and as you know time goes by.

I did go to the range and had several mis-fires. A friend was there and he gave me several rounds of Russian match ammo that shot consistantly.  I checked and found the rims seemed to be thicker than the rest of the ammo I had with me. Excessive head space started ringing in my head again.

I went home disassemled the rifle and drilled out the lower toggle pin that I couldn't remove before by using progressive bigger drills so as not to touch the bore.  When I finally  was able to get the pin out I discovered it was in two pieces.  In other words it didn't make any difference which way I tried to punch it the piece being punched was hitting a solid shoulder.

I installed a new pin from The Ballard Rifle Co. and reassembled the rifle. The block raised approximately 1/16" in the rear and stayed aapproximately at the same level in front where it mates with the barrel.  Now it is very tight indeed but the action now is smoothe as butter.  The excessive head space issue still exists.  I can close the action with a .019 piece of brass shim stock between the block and barrel, the firing pin then protrudes out of back of the breech block about .035-.040.  I can release the hammer and get a very nice indentation on the brass shim stock.

I believe I am going to have the barrel set back 1 turn and have the head space adjusted correctly.  Shoot it for a while and if accuracy is poor then reline it for long rifle with the correct twist.

I would never have believed worn pins could ever caused problems like this.  The one thing that still has me mistified is how in the world did the head space ever get so far off???  The extractor nor barrel appears to have been modified in any way.

DG
Quote:
Singleshot

Yes its tight with no shell in the chamber. However I think that in the process of trying to remove the bottom pin in the action link, the pin is probably "Flaired" from the punch strikes.
 I thought about drilling the pin out but decided to leave well enough alone and leave that up to a "Gunsmith" in case it turns into having to install a larger pin.  I am going to try and go to the range today and shoot a few rounds and see how many if any "Missfires" I get.  I agree, I think it will loosen up with a little use.

Also, I am thinking seriously about having it relined, after checking the fired long riflle cases against a short, I am now convinced its chamberd for .22 short with wear so much as to accept a "Long Rifle".

DG

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006 at 7:40pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint