Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Winchester M-1885 low wall (Read 25127 times)
JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: Winchester M-1885 low wall
Reply #30 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:24am
Print Post  
Slot the mainspring screw hole toward the receiver, so as to allow the spring to move forward in relation to the new position of its mounting hole. Then either shorten the forearm from the rear or make a new forearm mounting stud to space the mounting position forward. There are other ways but these are the simplest IMO.

I'd be inclined to reline the bbl.
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 7:04pm
Print Post  
Singleshot

Well here is an update and I hope maybe someone will benifit from my experience.

I Disassembled the rifle again and drove out the upper link pin and found it to be badly worn.  I tried to drive out the lower link pin but just couldn't get it out but in the process it did tighten it up on the lever.  I made two pins out of a # 9 drill shank that fit the bore for the pins perfectly, one for the upper link and one for the lever.  I re-assemled the rifle and found it extremely tight at first.  When the action closes it takes a darn good push to get it started to open.  Here are the results.  The rifle will now fire.  The firing pin does not hit the extractor.  The extractor now seats into the barrel like it is supposed to.  When you put a round in the chamber it is vertually flush with the face of the extractor.  When you close the block with a round in the chamber there is .013 clearance between the block and the extractor.  The excessive headspace problem has almost disappeared.  Sometimes it helps to think about a problem before jumping to the wrong conclusion.  Now if I could just drag some new riflings through the bore I would say the day hasn't been a total loss.

DG  Cheesy

Quote:
Smoke- replace the pins!  It also appears evident that the cartridge is sitting well below the rear of the barrel and the extractor- you may need to set it back a turn and have it rechambered properly. At 16 TPI that will be .0625 of setback, plenty to clean it up. A new link MAY help too, but will not correct the headspace issue as I see it.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #32 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the update Don! good luck!
Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #33 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:19pm
Print Post  
Good to go then! If you can "spot in" the extractor as Joe has described elsewhere then the tightness should go away- just try it EVERY time before taking any more off the back of it. Or, if you have a 22 reamer, a VERY light cut with it till it closes "snugly", but not tight. Since it WAS a Short- reline is good option, as Joe also said.

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #34 - Mar 5th, 2006 at 10:21pm
Print Post  
Don- not clear on this- is it tight without a shell in the chamber?

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #35 - Mar 6th, 2006 at 9:30am
Print Post  
Singleshot

Yes its tight with no shell in the chamber. However I think that in the process of trying to remove the bottom pin in the action link, the pin is probably "Flaired" from the punch strikes.
 I thought about drilling the pin out but decided to leave well enough alone and leave that up to a "Gunsmith" in case it turns into having to install a larger pin.  I am going to try and go to the range today and shoot a few rounds and see how many if any "Missfires" I get.  I agree, I think it will loosen up with a little use.

Also, I am thinking seriously about having it relined, after checking the fired long riflle cases against a short, I am now convinced its chamberd for .22 short with wear so much as to accept a "Long Rifle".

DG

Quote:
Don- not clear on this- is it tight without a shell in the chamber?

IP Logged

smoke810
Senior Forum Member

Reply #36 - Mar 29th, 2006 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Singleshot

I know its been a while but we had a medical emergency and as you know time goes by.

I did go to the range and had several mis-fires. A friend was there and he gave me several rounds of Russian match ammo that shot consistantly.  I checked and found the rims seemed to be thicker than the rest of the ammo I had with me. Excessive head space started ringing in my head again.

I went home disassemled the rifle and drilled out the lower toggle pin that I couldn't remove before by using progressive bigger drills so as not to touch the bore.  When I finally  was able to get the pin out I discovered it was in two pieces.  In other words it didn't make any difference which way I tried to punch it the piece being punched was hitting a solid shoulder.

I installed a new pin from The Ballard Rifle Co. and reassembled the rifle. The block raised approximately 1/16" in the rear and stayed aapproximately at the same level in front where it mates with the barrel.  Now it is very tight indeed but the action now is smoothe as butter.  The excessive head space issue still exists.  I can close the action with a .019 piece of brass shim stock between the block and barrel, the firing pin then protrudes out of back of the breech block about .035-.040.  I can release the hammer and get a very nice indentation on the brass shim stock.

I believe I am going to have the barrel set back 1 turn and have the head space adjusted correctly.  Shoot it for a while and if accuracy is poor then reline it for long rifle with the correct twist.

I would never have believed worn pins could ever caused problems like this.  The one thing that still has me mistified is how in the world did the head space ever get so far off???  The extractor nor barrel appears to have been modified in any way.

DG
Quote:
Singleshot

Yes its tight with no shell in the chamber. However I think that in the process of trying to remove the bottom pin in the action link, the pin is probably "Flaired" from the punch strikes.
 I thought about drilling the pin out but decided to leave well enough alone and leave that up to a "Gunsmith" in case it turns into having to install a larger pin.  I am going to try and go to the range today and shoot a few rounds and see how many if any "Missfires" I get.  I agree, I think it will loosen up with a little use.

Also, I am thinking seriously about having it relined, after checking the fired long riflle cases against a short, I am now convinced its chamberd for .22 short with wear so much as to accept a "Long Rifle".

DG

« Last Edit: Mar 29th, 2006 at 7:40pm by smoke810 »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint