Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rifle choice? (Read 6695 times)
Sharpsman
Ex Member

Rifle choice?
Feb 1st, 2006 at 7:47am
Print Post  
You guys what's been playing this game know more than I know about it so here's my question:

If you were going to purchase a rifle for bench shooting along with some offhand also....what rifle/stock configuration would you choose? Two calibers interest me aka .32/40 and the .38/55 and I'd like to "pick your brains" for info on this!

Thanks!

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: Rifle choice?
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 8:25am
Print Post  
There are 2 ways to go here. The first is to fit 2 stock sets. One for offhand and one for benchrest. 
The second is to use a traditional stock that will do a fair job at both. For this choice I would reccomend a CPA in either #52 or #49 stock set. My other choice would be a Union Hill Ballard.

40 Rod

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 1st, 2006 at 9:42am
Print Post  
I would choose the CPA Stevens [or orginal] with a buttstock such as the Silhouette model or some other stock suitable for BR & OH. My experience with rifles with tang screws using two different stocks is "in one shooting season the stock screws become so loose that neither stock will tighten to the tangs.  This is no problem with rifles such as Ballard,Peregrine, Miller & others that use the drawbolt stocks, but these rifles new are almost twice the money. If the shooter is determined to use two stocks on the same rifle then IMO the CPA and other tang screw rifles are not a good choice.  leadball

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 12:34am
Print Post  
In ASSRA matches it is legal to use a combination butt plate. You only have to change the buttplate to go from bench to offhand. I am talking about the Freeland buttplates used on the
BSA Internationals. Freeland's are no longer available new but there are others that are. Anschutz combination plates work extremely well but they are VERY pricey. There are others - you might check with Brownell's. 

If you get the proper kind, you can also adjust length of pull as well as go from flat to hook. We have used them for years in position small bore shooting. They are not "traditional" but neither is shooting both bench and offhand (most, if not all, of the traditional matches were all offhand). This may not be the most elegant situation but it is certainly the most practical.

The CPA problem (loose tang screws) can be solved by installing machine screw bases permanently in the stock under the tangs. They do not "wear out". Bernie Harrell does this regularly. He is definitely a "Stevens Man" and has been using this method for years.

Dale53

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Machine screws
Reply #4 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 3:18am
Print Post  
Dale,
Maybe a bit more information about those machine screws.  If one is a bit technically challenged like me...
I'm looking for a solid way to fix a tang sight on a Martini.  For now, it is fixed with wood screws on the wood, a bit delicate, and if those machine screws are a better way to do it??
Do I imagine that as a hollow screw, threaded inside and out?

IP Logged

johnny56
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 4:10pm
Print Post  
Well,if it were up to me,I believe I would go with a pistol grip style stock and maybe a cresent butt..And I think as far as caliber.I would go with the 38-55..My reason being that it is less effected by the wind and a little bit easier to get a good load as long as the bullet match's the twist..I may be wrong here,but I think I would go with something like a 15 or 14 twist..The 18 is too slow for most bullets..But there are no doubt some shooters here,that have a lot more experince than I do..So you take it from here..And do with it what you want..Good luck..jp

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
OK, how about a high-wall in .38-55 with a special sporter deluxe stock?  This would be a pistol grip stock with cheek piece and have a crescent buttplate and interchangeable small Swiss - with the famous Bernie Harrell metal screw inserts so it stays tight.  This rifle would be usable for offhand, bench, and silhouette (BPCS) with proper sighting equipment.  Would it be the best rifle possible for any one of those?  Probably not, but it would do all of them pretty well.  YMMV, of course and my free advice may indeed be overpriced, but that's my story and I'm sticking to it!  Grin

Froggie

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2006 at 9:51pm
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian;
Yes, you are correct. We are talking about machine screw "inserts". The ones I have used have extremely coarse threads on the outside and machine screw threads on the inside. I have not watched Bernie install these but he told me that he epoxies the inserts in the wood. 

Second question: this way would be better than wood screws to hold the rear sight. However, neither is the way I would do it. I would make up an "extension tang" drilled and tapped for the sight screws and carefully inlet that into the top of the wrist and expoxy it in. Ideally, would be to have the extension tang welded to the rear of the action, if possible. However, even if it was not welded to the action it would be much more stable and secure than just two screws. I have seen many installations like this and the people who owned them had full confidence in the procedure after long time use.

Dale53

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 6:52am
Print Post  
Dale,

I would agree with your judgment.  However, to convert an already finished rifle without the requirement to reblue/refinish, I would consider going that way.  Maybe not ideal, but certainly better than wood screws.  Next question of course - where can I get these?  I have never seen these items...
When not welding to the action do you mean just inletting a steel bar into the wood?

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 3rd, 2006 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Good morning, Mr. Belgian;

I have a stock that I am putting in a sight base just like Glenn said.  When I ordered it, I had them inlet the stock exactly like the action had a tang on it.  But I had them leave about 1/8 inch (three or four millimeters) of wood behind the action.  I intend to inlet a block of steel into the wood.  I left the wood wall so the steel sight base wouldn't touch the rear of the receiver.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 1:43am
Print Post  
MartiniBelgian;
Here is a web site that explains all:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Click on "brass inserts".

Yes, I mean a piece of steel inletted into the wrist of the stock as described by "Horsefly". You either weld it on the rear of the action or you have it separated as Horsefly indicates. I agree with him that it would be a poor idea to have it just touch.

Dale53

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #11 - Feb 4th, 2006 at 3:24am
Print Post  
Thanks Gentlemen,

I get the picture - Maybe I should have that done indeed... - but I won't do the inletting myself though!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint