Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Trapdoor trigger upgrade (Read 6997 times)
Dan Stone
Ex Member

Trapdoor trigger upgrade
Jan 2nd, 2006 at 10:36am
Print Post  
I am looking to upgrade the trigger on my Trapdoor sporter rifle. I don't necessarly need double set triggers but anything that can lighten up the original trigger would be welcome. Do any of you folks know of a sourse for a better Trapdoor trigger?

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Trapdoor trigger upgrade
Reply #1 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
They are heavy, the actual surfaces are generaly well finished, you are not likely to improve on them.  Don't change the notch or sear relationship either . Make sure the inside of the lock is clean. 

The Trigger spring is the key to lightining and not too hard to find at gun shows. Most Springfield locks use the same one even the Muzzleloaders. If you can get another to play with you can lighten the spring by reducing it's width.  It does not take much to make a pretty big difference so go easy when you grind. It's easy to overdo it so make sure you have another before grinding.

Do you know how to dissamble the lock ? back off a little bit on the lock screws and tap them with a wood hammer. If you only back off a little there is less chance of spliting the stock when  the lock plate  comes out from the inletting. 

Also the Arsenal combo tool is made to remove the main spring. Cock the lock put the jaws of the combo tool on the main spring and let the hammer down. The tool will hold the spring compressed and the hammer sear and all will come out easy. If you don't have one you can do it with a small adjustable wrench.

Boats

IP Logged

Dan Stone
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 3:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the input on the trigger question. I have done what you have suggested and still the pull is too heavy. I'm use to 4 or 5 pound pulls on my target rifles so I'm not looking for a hair trigger . The trapdoor trigger at it's best is at 7.5 lbs and quite long. I was hoping someone made a single set unit that I could install without changing any of the sear angles or stoning through the case harding. A friend of mine used a hardrock dirll to install a set screw in the sear lever. He has a really nice crisp pull but I sure don't feel safe with such a limited sear engagement. Also he has had to replace the hammer pinion because the sear notch broke. Not a good fix IMO

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 6:02pm
Print Post  
Sounds like your friend may have reduced his sear engagement without the corresponding, and absolutely necessary, reduction in sear spring tension. If you don't reduce the tension along with the engagement, then frequently the trigger will kick back after disengaging, and will land on/in the half-cock notch and break it.

Limited sear engagement is fine and quite safe as long as the springs (mainspring too) are balanced along with the engagement and everything else in the lock mechanism. Your friend needs to take his lock to a good smith & pay a few bucks, a 3-lb safe pull is very achievable by even an average workman who knows single shot rifles. That's not the only solution of course, but since your friend has already broken one part.............
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 9:08am
Print Post  
My CS Richmond 2 band rifle has a reproduction lock plate and hammer but all origional parts inside the lock. triming down the trigger spring the pull is 4 lbs and real smooth.

I think thats about all you will get out one of these locks.

Considering the heavy and long hammer throw, strong main spring a Trapdoor will never be a target rifle. (Except in there hayday when NRA had a 3 lb trigger rule)  I don't know much about triggers other than using them but suspect you can't have a light pull without all the rest of the lock parts working to the same end. Trapdoors were built to reliabaly ignite the cartridge.

Boats

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 2:23pm
Print Post  
Lee shaver has worked on several trapdoor locks for me an I am very satisfied with the results. There are also gunsmiths who do a lot of trigger work for competitors in the NSSA who could help you out. I built a sporter once with a set trigger and had nothing but trouble with it. The lock is simply not conducive to a set trigger, it can be done, but will be expensive. I would send it to a good gunsmith who knows and is experienced with musket and trapdoor locks. Joe S

IP Logged

Dan Stone
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 3:58pm
Print Post  
Joe,
   Lee did some work for me a couple of years ago, I just never thought he would be intrested in a little job like mine. I'll give him a call and see if he can fit me in. Thanks for the suggestion.
Dan

IP Logged

dick_norton
Senior Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 8:57am
Print Post  
I've seen vintage photographs of modified Springfields. Some of them had a poured light metal nosecap, a new trigger guard of a squared sort of configuration, and double set triggers. If you are not happy with existing triggers I believe installing an inexpensive set designed for muzzleloaders would not be too difficult.

Dick

IP Logged

Joe_S
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 9:13am
Print Post  
  I am not a gunsmith, so check with someone who knows, but when I tried to put double sets in my trapdoor, I discovered that the  tang bolt gets in the way of the double sets, and it takes a lot of work to work around it. I am not saying it cant be done, but it is not a matter of dropping a set trigger in place of the original. On my sporter, I extended the tang to make for a better base upon which to mount a tang sight. I retained the use of the original tang screw, and added one at the end of the new tang.  Perhaps you could extend the tang, add a tang screw at the end of the tang, and eliminate the original tang screw. That might make it easier to use a standard set of double sets. The trapdoor is one of my favorite rifles, good luck with your project! Joe S

IP Logged

Dan Stone
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jan 7th, 2006 at 9:38am
Print Post  
Joe,
   Thanks for the reply and your experiences. Adding an extended tang to my rifle is out of the question as it's a finished piece. I too found that a canned set tirgger set up wouild be impossible to mount to the oringinal trigger plate because of the rear screw.  I was hoping someonw made a single set trigger, but I have not found one yet. I believe the way to go is to modify the sear and trigger spring and get the best pull you can with the original parts. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint