Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) TC Encore Schutzen (Read 25409 times)
K38
Participating Member

TC Encore Schutzen
Dec 24th, 2005 at 9:48pm
Print Post  
Does any one ever use a TC Encore with a custom barrel, stock, and palmrest for Schutzen?  Seems like it might work, but I am clueless to be sure.  Bullberry makes barrels in 32-40 and the stock should not be a big deal.

Sorry if this is a Dumb Question,

Dwight

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Re: TC Encore Schutzen
Reply #1 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 10:25pm
Print Post  
Dwight, the only dumb questions are those unasked and those to which the answer is ignored!  Roll Eyes

Anyway, while I have not seen any Encores on the line for schuetzen yet, I suspect it will just be a matter of time.  There were some Contenders built up as schuetzen rifles, so the precedent is there.  At that time, supporters of the project cited the Maynard and the tip-up Stevens rifles as antecedents providing historical correctness.  The more I find out about Maynard, the more they seem like 19th century T/Cs!   Shocked

The one rule you need to be especially aware of has to do with barrel length.  As memory serves, the rule book for ASSRA calls for a barrel of not less than 21" (which is longer than some of the "rifle" barrels made for T/Cs.)  Such barrels might be BATF legal but not legal for ASSRA competition.  Of course I have an original Maynard barrel that is 20" long from the factory, but that is ineligible to compete as well.  Cry

Well, I guess that's about it for now, but I'm sure some other folks will chime in with their opinions which are, after all, like noses... everybody's got one!   Grin

Regards and Merry Christmas!
Charlie Shaeff
the Green Frog

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 11:03pm
Print Post  
I think the custom barrel makers can make any length you like.  I was thinking of about 30" or so.  I know there are gunsmiths that do trigger jobs, but I have never heard of set triggers, or very light (safe) pulls.

Dwight

My reading told me about the Maynard rifle.  It was a very popular rifle with early breach loading schutzen marksmen.  I would think that breach seating would be easy with a properly chambered barrel.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Dec 24th, 2005 at 11:22pm
Print Post  
Dwight,

If you get REAL lucky you can find an Encore with a factory .32/40 barrel on it. I almost bought one many years ago. Been kinda looking for one ever since. Not sure tho if they would have a legal length barrel.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 12:24am
Print Post  
The barrel minimum length is 21.5".

Dale53

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Reply #5 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 1:45am
Print Post  
Pete- That would have been a TCR83, NOT an Encore!  They were pretty nice tho!

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 4:45am
Print Post  
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); offers barrels in 32-40 and 32 miller short.  they have different profiles available, and they don't seem to have a length limit. (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) has barrels in 32-40 and makes them at least 26"  The standard stock for the Encore looks a little bit schutzenesque, and with the addition of a buttplate it would be pretty cool.  I guess I will try to get a project together.  I just finished my BSA MKIII which should make a pretty good bench .22 gun. I refinished the wood with Tru-Oil and mounted my Weaver KT15 scope on a Vianni mount.  You would have to be Hercules to shoot this thing off hand, but it should make a fine Prone/Bench Rifle.  I don't think the wood looked this good when it was brand new.  I will give a report when I can get to the range.

Yours,

Dwight

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 7:28am
Print Post  
Section 1.16 Barrels

Barrels may be of any length in excess of 21.5" and any weight, but for bench rifles the barrela shall be about 2" in dia or less.

The barrel need NOT be rifled for the entire length but must fully encircle the bullet as it passes through the un-rifled section.

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Dec 25th, 2005 at 10:41am
Print Post  
K38
     The Falling Block rifle that [ (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links) ] sells would also make a nice Schuetzen Rifle.  leadball

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 4:47pm
Print Post  
K38

I have long thought a T/C Encore or probably better a Contender would make a nice Schuetzen outfit. I say Contender because it is strong enought for any pratical Schuetzen cartridge and the switch firing pin allows you to shoot rimfire and centerfire with the same action/stock/sight set up.   

The Encore is surely stronger but for 32 Millers/32/40 etc the plain Contender is strong enough.  The Contenders have the ablity to get real nice trigger pulls too thanks to Handgun Silouette competiton.  Charlie McNett shoots our local Schuetzen matches with a Contender benchrest in 32 Miller Short and it performs very well.

I am a big switch barrel on the same stock/action fan and shoot two CPA's that allow Rim and Centerfire in Schuetzen events. There is a real economy in the same Action/stock/scope/Iron sights for all events

I have a couple of Bulberry barrels for my little Contender carbine  22 LR & .22 K Hornet, he does nice work.  The Rimfire T/C would be a great little Schuetzen if ASSRA did not have the short barrel rule.  However I see no chance of ASSRA modifying the rule so order long if you get one.

If you plan on setting a T/C  up let me know. I would be intresteted in the stock pattern and may well build one my self

Boats

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 5:38pm
Print Post  
Singleshot,

Well, guess that's why I can't find an Encore with a .32/40 barrel on it!  Grin I appreciate the info as I would have sworn I saw such a setup once.

PETE

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Bullberry will make a 32-40 or 32 Miller for either a Contender or an Encore.  I am coming around to think the Contender would be better because of the rimfire/centerfire capability.  There is am aftermarket rimfire Encore conversion though.  I have heard the Contender can have a bit better trigger, and the G2 looks a lot better than the old one with the horrible psuedo engraving.  I had a Contender pistol in 30-30 and 44 mag.  The 30-30 shot very well with a 4X leupold scope, but I traded it for something else.

Dwight

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #12 - Dec 27th, 2005 at 9:16pm
Print Post  
Guess we all have varying tastes. I actually liked the earlier Contenders with acid etched frames much better than the G2! Grin
I'd be interested in how they would cut a heavy round or octagon barrel to fit inside a Contender frame? Would it be something strange looking with the chamber area being small, and the forward area being larger? A reverse octagon setup, where the chamber is round, and the front octagon?

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #13 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 8:26am
Print Post  
Marlinguy I was thinking more about a lighter Schutzen.  My CPA is Pope model stocked with the .22LR barrel weighs over 14 lbs scoped. I will sometimes shoot my Smallbore Silouette rifle on the ASSRA target. It was set up under the old rule and weighs 7 1/2 lbs.  Honestly there is no difference in the scores I shoot with either rifle.

A T/C could have a semi hooked buttplate and forearm that you could shoot off fingertips.  Set up that way the finished rifle should weigh less than 9 or 10 lbs.  Which by the way is about the pratical limit for rifles without palm rest.  For the centerfire cartridge it should be one of the ligher ones too. Perhaps a 7 mm ?

Boats

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #14 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 10:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks Boats. I guess that makes more sense, but I'm a sucker for a heavy octagon barrel. Just a looks thing for me.

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #15 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
If you want to have a barrel chambered for .32 Miller Short or 32-40 for breach seating do you need to use a special reamer, as opposed to a chamber for fixed ammunition?

Thanks,

Dwight

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #16 - Dec 28th, 2005 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
What chambering/cartridge would you pick for shooting centerfire with fixed ammunition?

Thanks,

Dwight

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #17 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 10:33am
Print Post  
K38 you are right and to my eye the High Walls, CPA's & Ballards with heavy barrels are the most eye appealing rifles out there.

But a Contender outfit would be much less expensive and fully competitive. When I say much less I mean 1/3 of the all up price.

Since I already have a contender I may set up as a Schuetzen just for the fun of it.

Boats

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
would the break action/tip up rifles be a handicap for bench shooting?

Cam...

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #19 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
I think the TC Contender would make a neat schuetzen rifle in a .22LR! The standard barrel diameter, with a 23" length, and wood in schuetzen configuration! Then a second barrel in .32 Miller to switch back and forth.
Even with both barrels, it would still be cheaper than one Hi Wall or Ballard.

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #20 - Dec 29th, 2005 at 9:05pm
Print Post  
The flat faced brass or steel but plate from Track of the Wolf or the adjustable one from mastercraft stocks would probably work.  The wood for conteders is pretty cheap and you could cut one up experimenting and not be out much money.  I am not sure if any of the custom barrel makers for the Encore or the Contender would be able to cut a chamber for breech seating.  I am on the verge of calling bullberry and having them make me a 30" or so barrel and get me a frame.  If you buy a frame frome them the work over the trigger for free.  They also can supply a rimfire convertor for the Encore that installs with an Allen wrench.  I still can decide which of the frames to use.  I think I may get the palm rest from CPA as it looks right and it would be more comfortable for me.  Believe it or not when I was about 12 I made a Thumbhole Anschutz style stock with a palmrest (using a piece of broom stick!) out of two thicknesses of 3/4" plywood glued together.  It was for my bronze barreled Benjamin air rifle!!!  I had never seen a target rifle, but I found a book at the library and got after it.  I miss the basement of the house I grew up in.  My parents left it unfinished on purpose so that us kids could build things and as my mother said "make messes".  She and my dad were learn by doing sorts.

Yours,

Dwight

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #21 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 8:45am
Print Post  
K 38

Couple of things.

Bench rest with a T/C  I am no bench shooter but watched Charlie McNett shoot his off the bench. It's not as easy as a bolt gun but he seemed to have no problem. I think he rolled the rifle sideways to load. And was using a plugged case for a seater.

On the chamber. Again I am no gunsmith but Paul Shuttleworth re-cut the leade in a 32/40 barrel for me. It was chambered for fixed and could not seat a bullet breech. After he re-cut the leade a proper breech tapered bullet goes in real good. I think it's just a hand job with a reamer. But since it is important you want to make sure the gunsmith knows how to do the job. Bulberry would be able to tell you right away.

On the Palm rest. The metal parts for CPA's palm rest are about a hundred bucks.  For some reason I have a collection of palm rest. I make them up on my lathe in all sorts of configurations. If you just buy the forestock part I can make a palm rest for you pretty easy. On the topic of forestocks for a T/C Schuetzen  I think I would run two forestocks one for bench and one equiped with the fixture for the palm rest.  Flat forestocks make a big difference bench rest.

On the sights.  My little Contender carbine has one Leopold 3x9 compact that they added target knobs too.  It's on a Leopold QR base and switching scopes and barrels it holds zero very well. Just as good as the Unertl or STS on my Schuetzen CPA's. 

CPA sells a iron sight reciver base that fits a Weaver mount that could be a good option to switch irons and scopes between two barrels.  Another thing. On my switch CPA's I have a very high iron sight line.  This allows me to keep the same head positon scope or iron. With a sprit level on the front sight the high sight line is no handicap and same head positon is a real advantage.  Since the sights are removable they don't interfere with the scope at all

Last on the buttstocks Let me know what Bulberry says about a Schuetzen buttstock as I would like to make one up myself.

Boats

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #22 - Dec 30th, 2005 at 8:50am
Print Post  
K38

I said re-cut the chamber on a 32/40 I ment 38/55

For a T/C Schuetzen I think I would forget about traditon and make the rifle as modern as the rules allow. That means a 32 Miller short. Or if the rifle was real light perhaps a 7 mm short cartridge. Since the Miller is tried and true it's probably the best way to go.

Also I would forget about external adjustment scopes. while I have two and like them a lot they are just too expensive.  If you were watching cost a lower priced target scope on Weaver bases would be the way to go.

Boats

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 12:46am
Print Post  
Good morning, Board;

This is an interesting thread.  I looked up some contender butt stocks and am wondering if there is anything in the rules against having a thumb hole stock?

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

Asst
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 7:19am
Print Post  
Thumb hole stocks and skeleton stocks are epecifically forbidden and shall not be shot on the range during matches.

Section 1.14  Stocks

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
Good morning, Asst;

Shot the heck out of one good idea didn't you!?  The reason I asked is that I was looking at G2 stocks at (I think) Gun Stocks Inc and the thumb holers looked a lot stronger than the standard stock with such a deep cut for the thumb.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #26 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 5:35am
Print Post  
Horsefly,

If I set one up I don't think I will pay attention to equipment rules other than single shot, plain base lead bullet.

The standard T/C stock set up looks more fragile than it is.  I thought the same thing when I first saw it but after using one for a while cannot see any problems with it. In particular the through grip bolt beds the stock down real nice.

Problem I have is finding a buttstock blank that has enough wood to set up for a Schuetzen. The stock needs more drop a higher comb and enough to cut out for a hook plate.  Adjustable plate could be simpler but I want a light rifle and most of them weigh a lot. I also think for a light switch barrel shooting it off your finger tips is the way to go.

I could saw one out from rough lumber and may in fact do that to work out the sizes etc. Saving the fine work for a good piece of wood.

Anybody have any suggestions for stock shape ?

Boats

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Good morning, boats;

I was looking at the gunstocksinc site mentioned by someone else above and they have three basic stocks.  One is the standard, but it doesn't have as much wood as the others.  The other two are thumbhole with higher cheek pieces.  The difference I see is that one has the stock belly cut out for the racy crowd.  The standard thumbhole looks more likely.

If they would cut one and leave belly and cheek piece wood, I think that thumbholer would be a very likely candidate.  You could just cut the top of the thumbhole out and it wouldn't be a thumbhole anymore.

You mentioned that the stock bolt is stronger than it looks and I suppose for the calibers used in schuetzen, strength at the bottom of the thumb cut shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not trying to get around the rulebook - just to figure out an affordable, but good way to make a competitive rifle for both centerfire and rimfire standing targets.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Interesting thread, guys.  I too have a Contender sitting in the bottom of the cabinet, but I've pared the barrel collection down to 1...a 14" 7mm TCU that I just can't part with.  I've often thought of setting mine up as a switch-barrel rifle as well, and lurking on this thread is giving me impure thoughts...

It will be later this year, after retirement, and moving house/shop, but I think I'll make up a couple of schuetzen-suitable patterns, that will fit available buttplate castings.

Might be next winter before I find enough "tuit's", though...

Greg

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #29 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Horsefly 

I think I will look at the stock blanks you mention and perhaps make some drawings and bandsawn mock up's

As far as the thumbhole. Remember it's only ASSRA that has rules against Contenders. The other Schuetzen orgs. would probably allow it. I had some exchanges about the short barrel rule a couple of years ago and found it pretty well set in stone. I don't know what the problem is or was but it stands in the rule books and as I understand it can only be changed at Etna Green.  I have a couple of ASSRA legal rifles and don't worry about a Contender making the rule. You may see it different and if so should build to suit.

Will post something once I get a feel for what a Schuetzen buttstock would look like.

Boats

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #30 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 11:14pm
Print Post  
Boats,

Does the ASSRA have rules that do not permit Contender and Encore actions?  The barrel rule should not be a big problem as Bullberry will make a 30" barrel.  They did not say that was their limit just that they would make one that long.  The stocks are pretty cheap and one could take one and cut and glue some extra wood to get a prototype, then have someone make a pretty one.  I am still leaning towards the Encore as it is a bit bigger and will take a bigger diameter barrel.  There is a rimfire adapter for the Encore as well.

Dwight

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #31 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 11:38pm
Print Post  
There is no rule against Contender or Encore actions.

Dale53

IP Logged

K38
Participating Member

Reply #32 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 11:41pm
Print Post  
Thanks Dale,

I was getting a bit confused.

Dwight

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #33 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 7:22am
Print Post  
K38

Did Bulberry say anything about throats for Breech Seating in his Miller chambers ?

Boats

IP Logged

horsefly
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 9:07am
Print Post  
Good morning, Boats;

The site I was looking at is (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); They are not schuetzen stocks per se, but the two thumb holers have a lot more cheek piece than most stocks.  In walnut, they are only about $45.  For that you could give one the bondo treatment and then cut what you want.

Y'all be good.

horsefly

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 10:14am
Print Post  
boats;
         The 32 Miller I have [JGS] has the throat as part of the reamer. I would assume that since the cartridge is used for breechseating only, that all reamers would come throat attached unless ordered otherwise.   leadball

PS  I believe this is a JGS stock reamer [no extra cost]

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Mr. Hoss Fly,

Thanks for that link...pretty neat li'l site.  Folks might also be interested to know that he's got patterns for several other single shot rifles...just have to dig around a bit to find them.

I think, that for my use, the "roll over" cheekpiece pattern will suffice.  Just add my favorite hooked buttplate, a little bit of rasping, and I think it'll be just dandy.  Time to get serious about finding a barrel, now.

Greg

PS...here's a link for Match Grade Machine, another possible barrel source.  They ain't cheap, but they start with Shilen blanks.  As long as you don't want fluting, muzzlebreaks, and those sorts of things, I guess the prices aren't too bad.   

« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2006 at 12:30pm by »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #37 - Jan 6th, 2006 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys,  Leadball thanks on the reamer advice too.

I had a look at the site. Those  buttstocks could work very well.

I am at a little disavantage as we are sanding floors in my house and my books are packed up.  Ken Walters "Ned Roberts and the Single shot rifle book: Has details on many old shooters and the rifles they used. Lots of them used light tip up designs and some of the stocks are  not unlike a T/C's. it will be a week before I can look at it though.

The Stevens handy rifles stocks could be a nice pattern too. If the rifle is about 9 lbs and balanced like a modern sporter you don't need much hook to the buttplate. 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint