Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) single shot silhouette (Read 13992 times)
Shep_Madera
Ex Member

single shot silhouette
Oct 31st, 2004 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
Anyone know of matches where single shot metallic silhouettes are featured or offered as a side match? Trying to fill out my event calendar and planning and would like to see/try one. Thanks. Shep Madera

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: single shot silhouette
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Shep,

I guess it will all depend on where you live. If it was here in Iowa you'd have to travel out of State. We need a little more info.... unless you're willing to travel anywhere in the country.

PETE

IP Logged

Shep_Madera
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 10:48am
Print Post  
Good suggestion. I live in Western Montana so Idaho, Eastern Washington, Utah, and Wyoming are doable within 3-4 days. Also, I travel to Pennsylvania frequently and could visit midwestern, Western New York events. Thanks.

IP Logged

DonN
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Nov 1st, 2004 at 7:28pm
Print Post  
Shep
With the exception of Wilton in NY, silhouette is finished in the NE and most of the northern states. Get a subscription to "Shooting Sports USA" from the NRA (it's cheap) they publish match dates and locations as they come up. The season usually starts in March. 
DonN

IP Logged

FAsmus
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Shep,

If you are interested in shooting the Buffalo Rifle style matches this coming season you are in a good position there in Montana if you're willing to drive some.

Starting in about May there are long range matches almost every week somewhere within the Wyoming/Montana, N&S Dakota and Nebraska territories.

These matches will cover the whole program of "real" BPCR shooting and the more relaxed "Gong" style Quigley matches. 

More news if you're interested.

Good morning,
Forrest

IP Logged

Shep_Madera
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Nov 12th, 2004 at 1:14pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the information, Forrest.  Couldn't get away to the Quigley shoot in Forsyth, MT,  last June but am determined not to miss it next year.

Yes, I may have to make the leap to black powder to shoot the kind of games I think I might enjoy. 

I like the thought of silhouette and single shot and understand there may not be that many side matches in Cowboy Action Shooting where I can shoot my .30-30 repeater. Trying to put together a battery that is complementary and allows entry into CAS silhouette, single shot, and even Schuetzen. Considering the low wall Uberti at this point in .22 Hornet, .30-30, or .32-20 though I might have to go to the high wall in .45-70 to enter BPCR events.

Since the .32 Winchester Special was designed as a dual black powder, white powder round, I wonder if anyone ever ventures forth with such a round in a single shot weapon for BPCR. I find that intriguing. Ever seen such out there?

Modern silhouette seems as technical as trapshooting and sporting clays has become and I want to shoot lever action and period pieces, not contraptions that bear remote resemblance to field rifles with scopes as long as their barrels. If I went that route, I suppose I'd risk ridicule showing up with a tang-sighted .300 Savage 99 or a Ruger #1 in 7 x 57, or God forbid,  a Winchester 64 in .30 WCF or .32 Special! (I'm not a big fan of bolt actions).

I feel like Terry Wieland who stated he wanted to play the field and date several in the shooting games but not marry one. I confess I'm a bit ambivalent about black powder as there seems quite a bit of fussery to it.

Thanks again for your advice and come May, I might have it sorted out. Shep.

IP Logged

gene4060
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 9:42am
Print Post  
The National Muzzle Loading Association Range in Friendship, IN (near Cinncinnatti in SE Ind.) hosts 10 BPCR Silhouette matches every year. The schedule is in their magazine, Muzzle Blasts or on their website under 'alternate range use'. Additionally, several matches a year are held in ashland, KY, near Nashville, TN and in Pennsylvania. Grin

IP Logged

feather
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 11:24am
Print Post  
Shep,

The 32 Winchester Special cartridge would not be a legal Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Silhouette round.  Rule 3.4 (d) states, "Cartridges will be of the American black powder era, originally black powder loaded, manufactured prior to 1896, and originally chambered in American-manufactured rifles, taking into account normal variations in types of brass and primers, as well as bore sizes, rifling styles, twist and chamber dimensions."

The 32 Special was originally manufactured as a smokeless round and first listed in Winchester Catalog #68 printed in 1902.  Winchester never sold 32 Special ammunition loaded with black powder.  They recommended loading it with 40 grains of black powder and using a Winchester No. 2-1/2 primer with the black powder.

The catalog specifically states: "We load this cartridge with Smokeless powder only, but are prepared to furnish primed shells, full metal patched, metal patched soft pointed, or plain lead bullets, and reloading tools, for loading with black powder only."

The time frame of introduction and the fact that the factory never loaded it with black powder makes the cartridge unacceptable for BPCR Silhouette matches.

feather

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Nov 11th, 2005 at 10:11pm
Print Post  
hey feather,

welcome to the schuetzen board. haven't heard from you for a while. hope you are thinking of taking up the true and rightous way of shooting..

..ttfn..grampa..

IP Logged

iowa
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 2:55pm
Print Post  
Pete:  Re: Silhouette in Iowa    The Ackley Iowa Range (Cedar Valley Regulators a NCOWS affiliate) is now offering 40 shot Silhouette matches at least twice a year.  I do not have the 2006 dates yet, but we shot two matches in 05 the first year for silhouette at this range.  Please keep it in mind for your schedule and pass the word along.  Best regards steve witt

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 4:58pm
Print Post  
Steve,

Yes.... I realise they are having matches NOW.  Grin If you will look at my reply at the top of this thread it is dated before you guys had your first match this year.... I think. Was this the first year you've had Shilouette up there?

I did attend the match before last at Brent & Art's invitation to see how you guys did it. I wish I wouldn't have went cuz now I'll have to try my hand at it.  Grin My buddy and I have been have been working with our .40's, as you'll note if you look at the "chicken load" thread in the "General" section. Got a good load for the 417 gr. bullet, and finally got the 317 grainer to come around for shooting AT the chickens. We plan on attending next year. Will need a LOt of help I'm thinking.

Well, the word is around at the Pine Ridge Club anyway!  Grin Should be five of us up there. Will have to get on one guy locally who goes out to Raton every year. Haven't seen his name in the results on the web site so will have to ask him to come along to.

According to the CVR web site they will be holding 3 matches next year. Somewhere I heard they are even thinking of holding an NRA sanctioned match. Any truth to this?

PETE
« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2005 at 5:03pm by »  

IP Logged

feather
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Hi xxgrandpa,

It has been a while hasn't it.

In response to your question, I have to ask what do you mean by the "one true way" of shooting.  If you mean Schuetzen, well......!

I did shoot in one Schuetzen match about a thousand years ago.  Of course the only single shot rifle that I had at the time was a Browning 45-70.  When the match director saw what caliber I'd be shooting, he put me way down the firing line near the woods.  You might say, all by myself.  I did hear at the end of the first day that some of the competitors using needle blowers would wait until they heard my loud boom at the end of the firing line before even attempting to fire a shot.  It seems the noise upset them a little bit.  I never did receive any follow-up information about future matches and I suspected that I was persona non gratis.  It was shortly after that when I discovered BPCR Silhouette and I've never looked back.

It's good to see you are still posting.  Keep up the good work with fillers.

feather

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Nov 13th, 2005 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
feather,

I assume you're the same feather I used to correspond with a while back? If so, glad to see you at least looking at a Forum for the "One True Way".  Grin Even Steve Garbe is converting over!

I used to hear complaints to about shooting my .50/90 at Schuetzen matches. I'd set up right in the middle of the line and listen to the complaints. Actually it was a little loud under that tin roof.

Why don't you go over on the "Chicken" load thread in the "General" section and comment on that after you read it. Would like to hear your comments on it. Some really weird things have been showing up with some shooting I've been doing looking for a Chicken load.

PETE

IP Logged

iowa
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 11:08am
Print Post  
Hey Pete:  Your're right as always, sorry I did'nt look at the post date.  Yes, 05 was the first year that CVR shot silhouette, two matches this year.  These matches were not advirtised much, as it was more of a shake down cruise to see how it went.  We had around 15-20 shooters, and hope for more next year, so the Pine Ridge Club will always be welcome.  That was a very interesting thread on the "chicken load" and perhaps I'll have to adjust my thinking and load.  However I'm presently working on a load for the Browning BPCR I chambered out to 45-90, and will probably shoot that rifle pretty much full time next year.  It looks to me like on the CVR site that there are two, 2 day Buffalo shoots, two, 2 day mid/long range weekends, and two Silhouette shoots, one a two day event. Plus I think a Big Bore fun shoot.   Hope to see you there next year.    Best Regards steve witt

IP Logged

feather
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Nov 14th, 2005 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Hi Pete,

Yep, I'm the same feather that you corresponded with some time ago.

I'll have to read the chicken thread and see what I can contribute, if anything.

feather

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint