Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Sharps or High Wall??? (Read 4681 times)
christop67
Ex Member

Sharps or High Wall???
Sep 11th, 2005 at 11:12am
Print Post  
I cant decide so I thought I would bring it here. Sharps (Pedersoli) Sporting rifle, 45/70,32" barrel, straight stock or High Wall (Uberti) 45/70, 32" barrel. It would be for target only. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: Sharps or High Wall???
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 11:36am
Print Post  
The accuracy of Pedersoli rifles is unsurpassed. I repeat, no one makes a more accurate factory BPCR than Pedersoli. Just as accurate, yes, but none more accurate.
JMO, as always YMMV, good luck, Joe

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 3:24pm
Print Post  
christop67,

As Joe says.... It's hard to beat a Pedersoli. As for an action strictly for target work. Of the two you mention I'd go with the High Wall due to it centrally hung hammer and quicker lock time than the Sharps.

You mention that you want a Uberti High Wall. Nothing especially wrong with that choice but Cimmaron makes a High Wall and as I understand it they get their guns from Pedersoli. They get a little better external quality gun than the norm and then do a little extra work on them. They have a web site at:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

If you need further assistance and questions their email address is:

sales@cimarron-firearms.com

PETE

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 1:21am
Print Post  
hello chris top,

as every one knows, there are only two kinds of actions. winchester walls and all the other wanna be's Kiss

..ttfn..

IP Logged

iowa
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 11:42am
Print Post  
christop67:  Either rifle has the potential to shoot just fine, but you mention for "target only"  I would suggest you pick a rifle with options to include a pistol grip, set triggers, and preferably with a shotgun butt stock. The heavier the barrel the better.   I would, of the two , suggest the high wall as mentioned the center hammer would be advantagious, and Uberti now offers the set triger option.   Best regards stever witt, waterloo, Ia.

IP Logged

dnovo1
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 11:03am
Print Post  
I would suggest Iowa is correct, but the issue is not as simple as may appear at first blush.  I agree that for 'target work' the heavier the bbl the better, assuming you are going to be shooting from a rest or cross sticks or other form of support.  I have several very heavy bbl single shots that are superbly accurate, but trying to shoot them offhand or Schutzen style would be tiring, if not difficult.  Horses for courses as they say.

I also agree that the High Wall action is no doubt easier to shoot given lock time issues, the need to cock the Sharps between shots, and other issues that may distract you from concentrating on the shot.  However, this is simply a matter of becomig comfortable with what you are shooting as contrasted to any inherent 'flaw' in the Sharps vs. the Winchester.  Lots of very, very accurate Sharps out there.

Indeed, just to stir the pot a bit, consider the Remingtion Rolling Block replicas.  Can't fault them for accuracy or simple and direct operation.  Roll back the hammer, open the chamber, put in the round, aim and pull the trigger.  The Italian companies make several fine rifles in this action as well.

I love them all, and after a bit of practice, one is not inherently superior to the other.  All will shoot as well as the user is capable of shooting.

Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint