Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic More Newbie Questions (Read 3717 times)
stbryson
Participating Member

More Newbie Questions
Sep 11th, 2005 at 4:22pm
Print Post  
Hello,

I now have my CPA Stevens 44 1/2 on hand, and am starting to gather what I need to get shooting.  I bought a Hoch .32-40 mould from CPA, and my next items are a lead melter and bullet casting metal.  Rather than starting out mixing alloys myself (though I eventually will do that), can anyone recommend sources for ready made 1:24 -1:25 bullet casting alloys?   

I also recently bought a J.W. Fecker 10x scope for this rifle.  Does anyone know where I might find a manual/operating instructions for Fecker scopes?  Photocopies would be fine - I am just looking for instructions for the various adjustments.  I am okay with the Fecker mount adjustments, as I found an article in an old issue of "American Rifleman" that gives a good explanation.   

I am planning to remove the recoil spring from the scope, but am looking for general opinions re: recoil spring - no recoil spring.

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Steve Bryson

"Right is right, even if no one does it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone does it."

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: More Newbie Questions
Reply #1 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 6:55pm
Print Post  
I hope I can find the copy of Fecker instructions a friend made for me! If so, I'll make a copy for you. Send me an email at:  marlinguy@juno.com
I'll try to find them in the meantime.
Vall

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 8:15pm
Print Post  
Steve,

I was always taught that the tension is completely relieved from the spring if shooting a CF gun. This is so you don't get whacked in the eye if you have your eye to close to the end, which is a very real possibility as the eye relief is pretty short on the older external adjusted scopes. I always put a gap of about 1/2" between the spring and the front mount when it is drawn all the way back. For .22's tension is put on the spring.

Of course you can remove the spring but if you ever sell the scope the next owner would appreciate having it. The spring on my Fecker is missing. They do seem to get lost somewhere along the line if removed. I know to many scopes without the spring and several that have had to have the spring scrounged up for the next owner.

Then of course you need to know how to take it off!

PETE

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #3 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Steve,
Will wonders never cease?! I rarely find what I'm looking for, but I have found the copies of the original JW Fecker manual, with specs and instructions! It's 12 legal sized pages long! Send me an email with your address!
Vall

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,

Reply #4 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
Sent the Fecker instructions out today. You should see them by Sat.
Vall

IP Logged

stbryson
Participating Member

Reply #5 - Sep 14th, 2005 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Hello,

Vall, thank you very much for the help on the Fecker scope.

Pete, I understand what you mean about keeping things together.  I didn't realize that the spring could be left on, but in a non-functional mode, until I saw your post, and then I came across the same advice in a book on shooting.

Thanks again for the help,

Steve Bryson

"Right is right, even if no one does it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone does it."

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint