Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Action recommendation? (Read 34252 times)
Old_Dog
Ex Member

Action recommendation?
Sep 6th, 2005 at 2:35pm
Print Post  
I have hunted for many years now, but only flirted with single shots before.  I've had the odd #1 and a Browning low wall, and even a Model 10 for a while.  Now I've decided to get serious with a tackdriving single shot for deer hunting.  It will be used far and wide, from stands and while stalking, and should finish under 10 pounds. It will be from .257 to .284 caliber.  It will be used from 10 yards to 350 yards and I would like it to shoot into .5 MOA.  I know that's a tall order but I like to aim high.  Money is not an object if the increased price is justified by increased performance.  Let's try to keep this in the mid to lower 4 figure range.  Oh, and it has to be special, too.  No Rugers, NEFs, Marlins etc. need apply.  Now to specific questions:

1) Does this gun exist right out of the box? Where?
2) If it doesn't, what gunsmith do I want to put it together for me?  This probably depends on the other choices I make, but I would really like this rifle to put rounds on top of each other.
3) Any recommendation for the action?  I like the looks of the old 1885 HiWall if it would be appropriate.  Is there a better action for my purpose?
4) What can someone expect to pay for an original HiWall rifle or action?  Is it appropriate for modern high intensity cartridges?  Is there anything in particular to look for?
5) Any recommendations, given my other criteria, for a caliber choice?

I know that's a lot of questions but the only thing I like better than shooting guns is talking about them.  I'm probably going to drop a pretty penny for this and I would like the most input from informed and experienced shooters that I can get.  Thanks, guys.

Jim

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Re: Action recommendation?
Reply #1 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 4:40pm
Print Post  
You can get a new highwall action from C.Sharps Co. or from ???? (come on guys, help me out --Brain f##t). There is also an excelent bbl/action from Borchardt Rifle Co. in Silver City, N.M. or if you would like a side hammer action, there is the Wesson #1 action from Steve Earle -- see action on this site.   Ken

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 8:28pm
Print Post  
Mr. Old Dog:

While I applaud your desire for a hunting single shot, I don't think you are going to find anyone who is going to guarantee you .5 MOA. 

If you want an external hammer action, the Winchester would be a good choice, as would a Stevens 44-1/2. Both are strong enough for what you seem to have in mind. The Winchester comes to full cock when closed, which I would think an advantage in a hunting rifle. I think that the Stevens can be made to do the same. The Wesson that Mr. Earle is making is a wonderful action and is certainly worth consideration.

In a hammerless action the Borchardt might be a good choice.  Or perhaps a Martini.

You would be best served to have the rifle chambered for a rimmed case. There are a number of candidates in rimmed cases for the .25 to 28 caliber range.

Do you want a set trigger?

Glenn

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 8:55pm
Print Post  
Sounds to me like something on the order of a .25 Krag Improved, in a Winchester Single Shot action, set triggers, and about a #3 weight barrel.  I'm sure Ballard Rifle Company can fix you right up, in whatever degree of finish, and extra cost options, that your heart desires.

Just might have to wait a bit while they build it, but that'll be the case anyway if you have one built from scratch.

Greg

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #4 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
First Shirt took the words right off my keyboard!  If you want to go with a purely traditional cartridge in that range and for the performance you are seeking, you might also look at the .25-35, a classic Winchester number that is basically a necked down .32-40 round.  With a new and purpose built rifle you can specify a fast enough twist to get a longer, heavier bullet to stabilize.  The strength of the high-wall is the stuff legends are made of and from what I have seen of the Ballard Rifle Co repros, they would be hard to beat.  You might also look at the Meacham (coil spring) high-wall repro, or if you want something more exotic you might have Al Story build you a Borchardt or you might have something built from scratch on Steve Earle's new Wesson action.  All of these would be within a range of about $2-5000, depending on a range of choices you would make, but realistically I would guesstimate that you will hit at least the mid threes to get anything satisfactory within the criteria you have set forth.

HTH, the Green Frog

PS  I would advise AGAINST using originals of any of these actions for this project, not because they wouldn't be good but because you would have to pay so much to get a good one that you would be satisfied to build on.  I consider myself lucky to find a $500 BEATER of a high-wall action, for example.   Undecided

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #5 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Green Frog: if you found a $500 beater M1885 action, I think you’d be lucky. And you’d need a body guard. Up here, they are scarce & ‘spensive’.

I echo your comments about finding a gfood one to build on. Then when you figure in the materials & having someone do the work if you can't do it yourself, "rebuilding " an original adds up very quick. If you're not careful, it can easily exceed the price of a new/reproduction rifle. Every time I look @ & contemplate a rifle built on my #5RB action, I feel the $$ leaving my bank acc't....

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #6 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 11:11pm
Print Post  
I'm not certain that there are any traditional single shot calibers that will give you the accuracy and performance you're looking for to 350 yds. 
I would agree with the Borchardt or Win. Hi Wall actions, but you might need to go to a hotter caliber to acheive the kind of range you're looking for, and still have acceptable knockdown power at that 350 yd range, in a .25-28 caliber.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 12:39am
Print Post  
From what I can gather from your initial post, your two prime criteria are deer-killing power out to 350 yds and tack-driving accuracy. A unique action and quality appearance are also on your list but maybe not quite as important as the performance?

In any case I would not suggest an original or original-style Winchester or Stevens action. I know I'll take some heat for this but that's my opinion, based on lack of guaranteed accuracy potential. Mainly lack of a drawbolt on the buttstock, which means a less-rigid platform. Some of the high wall repros such as Ballard or Meacham can be had with a drawbolt & they have a reasonable accuracy potential because of it IMO.

I've seen a couple of test articles on Ballard & Meacham rifles built on their high wall actions, and they appeared to shoot very well according to the writers. I say again, "according to the writers" they shot well, but, even according to the writers, none of them approached .5 MOA.

One of my shooting buds has a Miller-de Haas light rifle in 225 Winchester, built in its entirety by Kyle Miller about 8 yrs ago. Weighs about 9 lbs including scope & will shoot into about .5-.75 MOA after some tuning by the owner. Cost over $4000 (before optics) about 8 yrs ago and is built on an ugly action but is the best-shooting single shot of my somewhat limited experience, only about 4 dozen over the years so far.

Out of about 2 dozen Winchester high/low walls so far, my best shooter (223 Rem reline) will do about .75 MOA on average.

Col Whelen said that the most accurate of his many single shots was a custom Sharps Borchardt varminter. One of my Borchardts is extremely accurate (17 lbs) but it won't do .5 MOA on a guaranteed basis.

So I guess what I'm saying is that maybe your accuracy requirement is a little far out there for a single shot sporter.

To kill deer reliably & humanely at 350 yds requires a flat-shooting cartridge with reasonable bullet weight, IMO nothing less than 115 grains & no less than 2800 fps. I chose these numbers specifically to exclude almost all of the 6mm-&-smaller calibers, because in my experience they aren't good killers on deer at long range unless with head shots. This isn't the forum for a caliber argument but I can say that my opinion is based upon extensive shooting of several hundred whitetail deer at ranges from 20 yds to 600 yds with several rifles. The 243 Winchester M70 bull gun soon got rechambered to 6mm-284 and matters improved noticably. The 25-06 was noticably better still, and the 7mm Mag was the best of all those tried.

One of the very best single shot (read rimmed) rifle cartridges for your purpose is the 7x65R. It's basically a rimmed 280 Remington although they're not interchangeable. Another good choice would be the 30R Blaser, although it's certainly more powerful than necessary & so would be less pleasant to shoot. There are also other high-velocity European rimmed cartridges in the 6.5-7mm family that would be almost perfect for you, but ammo might be a problem unless you handload.

I emphasize high velocity, at least 2800 fps muzzle velocity, because you intend to shoot out to 350 yds. I consider that to be the maximum range for the very good rifle shot, and very few hunters are also very good rifle shots, OR good range estimators for that matter, so a flat trajectory is a must. My personal rule is, if I hafta aim over the deer's back then he's too far unless I've gotten a clear reading on my laser rangefinder & also have had time to figure the exact holdover. How many times does this happen?

My other personal rule is, when I pull the trigger I want to see feet in the air. No running off, no havng to wait 30 min & trail him up, no second shot required, no 'behind the shoulder' shots, no lost game at all, period. So I tend to use enough gun so that the animal dies instantly or as close to it as possible.

Of course we have a lotta deer down here, they're sometimes considered more of a dangerous nuisance than a big-game animal. I could tell you stories...........

My personal choice would be a Hagn action built by Edd Webber to the same specs as his 30-06 Hagn shown in Steve Hughes' outstanding book Custom Rifles in Black and White. This rifle is just about perfect IMO but I'd like it in either 7x65R or one of the hot 6.5 mms, with a scope of course.

It's my understanding that the Hagn action alone starts around $4000, so a nice rifle would cost at least $8000 IMO. Wish I had the money. I consider the Hagn action to be the most aesthetically-pleasing of them all, when built by a genuine artist such as Webber. MUCH better and better-looking than either the Ruger or especially the M10 IMO.

Now let me brace for the flames, 'cause I KNOW they're out there!
Good luck on your quest, Joe

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 12:54am
Print Post  
Joe: you raise some very valid points. The MOA shooting ability out to 350 yds does sound a little too unrealistic, unless as you stated, you spend The Really BIG $....

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #9 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 9:30am
Print Post  
I'm going to stick in one more sugestion the Little Sharps. It is a slightly smaller version of the origional Sharps. I know that it has been chambered for 30-40 Kraig. It would make a neat deer rifle and be light enough to carry in the woods.

40 Rod

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #10 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 10:21am
Print Post  
I'm going to stick in a plug for a lower dollar rifle.

The off the shelf product that comes closest to what you want is the browning 1885.  The .5 moa is achievable by some of these, but not all.  I have a .223 high wall that will do this with select ammo.  My .45-70 will not quite, but will come close.  I had a .25-06, and it would only do 1.25 moa, although arguably I didn't have the right ammo loaded for it.

I know that the browning comes in 7mm mag.  It would be quite flat shooting out to 350 yards, but I doubt it would do .5 moa.  It also comes in .30-06, and I'm not sure if it comes in .270.

I would recommend acquiring one in .30-06, and rebarreling with a lilja 270 barrel.  I think that this would come very close to .5 moa, and lilja  will match the original octagon barrel contour.  Or, as Joe suggested, go with a 6.5 mm caliber since you're going custom anyway.   

A good .30-06 will run about $900, a lilja barrel $400, and the gunsmithing about $400.  The wood on these is superb, and the actions are smooth and reliable.  They handle very well in the woods, and weigh in at about 7 or 8 pounds.

Good luck!
dave

IP Logged

Old_Dog
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 1:21pm
Print Post  
WoW!  What great feedback!  I think these suggestions have narrowed down my choices considerably.  Looks like I need to avoid original actions and look at a Hagn, Borchardt or High Wall repro from Ballard or Meacham.  Does anyone have links for photos or specs on these actions?  I'm not interested in a side hammer or Sharps.

There doesn't appear to be a Kenny Jarrett, Charlie Sisk or Mark Bansner of single shots, someone who can put together a rifle with premium components and painstaking craftsmanship and produce a .5 MOA rifle.  Is there anyone close?  I'm not familiar with Al Story.  Is he a craftsman?  I've had good luck sending rifles to Hart, Shilen, Lilja, Kreiger, Pac-Nor and even Douglas.  I've also had mediocre luck.  It just depends who's running the lathe and the reamer that day.  I want someone who cares.   

Why is a rimmed cartridge preferable?  Won't a rimless cartridge function reliably?  All my single shots to date have chambered rimless cartridges.  Other than the 25 Krag and 7.65R, what are the rimmed cartridges you would recommend that produce ballistics similar to the 25-06 to 280 range?  What are the hot 6.5mm's I should look at?  I would much rather have a traditional cartridge but I don't think I'll find one with the energy or trajectory needed for 350 yard shots at large deer.

I like the idea of getting a Ballard High Wall Classic or a Browning 1885 and rebarrelling it, etc., but I don't want to spend a lot of money and just roll the dice on it's accuracy potential.  If I change my accuracy requirement to less than 1 MOA out to 350 yards, does that open up any new avenues?  Thanks for all the great advice!  As you can see, I need all the help I can get!

Jim

IP Logged

faeroe

Reply #12 - Sep 7th, 2005 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
How about a Martini action in .303?

WIN SUPX .303 BRITISH 180 POWER PT

Distance (yds) Muzzle 50  100   200   300   400  500 
Velocity (fps)        2460 - 2233 2018 1816 1629 1459 
Distance (yds) Muzzle 50    100   200   300   400  500 
Energy (ft. lbs.)       2418 - 1993 1627 1318 1060 851 
Distance (yds)           50 100 150 200  250   300 
Short Trajectory (in.)  0.3 0 -2.1 -6.1 -12.2 -20.8 
Distance (yds)       100 150 200 250  300   400    500 
Long Trajectory (in.) 1.4 0 -3.3 -8.8 -16.6 -40.4 -77.4 

Or in 7x57R?

7x57 R 139 gr. Soft Point SBA75704 
             Muzzle   100 YDS 200 YDS 300 YDS

Velocity (fps) 2651 2330      2048      1800

Energy (ft. lbs.) 2167 1674   1293       999 
Point of Impact (inches)  0    -4          -17 

or in 7.62X54R?

7.62x54 R 174 gr. Hollow Point Boattail SBA76208 

Muzzle    100 YDS 200 YDS 300 YDS

Velocity (fps) 2615    2412     2225       2053

Energy (ft. lbs.) 2647 2253     1917       1631 
Point of Impact (inches) q 0   -4           -15 

Or 7X65R?

S&B 7X65R 173 SOFT PT CUTTED EDGE

Muzzle  100 YDS 200 YDS 300 YDS

Velocity (fps) 2608 2318      2060       1831

Energy (ft. lbs.) 2611 2062   1629       1287 
Point of Impact (inches) q 0   -5          -17 

The accuracy issue has too many variables to list, but the ballistics should be doable.

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 4:21am
Print Post  
hi-ho old dog,,

i do have an 85 browning hi wall that was a 30-06. had it chambered to 3oo win mag. because it is a hunting rifle, it was only tested with 3 shot groups.(if you need more than 3 shots, find another hobby) (:>) 

it will put 3 out of a clean bbl into .5-.75 at 200yds all day long. this is the rifle i use when hunting on a manmade hill on the farm. have yardage markers out to 500 yrds around the man made hill. and like jd steele sez, it's feet up with one shot.

..ttfngrampa...

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
I think you are too much high tech here, very few can even shoot 1mia, and never offhand while hunting-unless you are the reincartation of Harry pope=just rebember Mr. pope killed 21 deer with 22 shots-and he used a regular High Wall in 30-40 krag-with a winchester barrel, not one of his. All this talk of 1mia is moonshine anywhy, i've never seen a huntrer sighting in yet at my local range who could hit 12 minutes of angle while offhand. Most of them couldn't hit the broadside of a barn-unless they were in it, just like the idiots who show up with a AK-47 and blast away.I used to beat them all the time with a trapdoor 45-70 with black powder and they would go away with there tails between their legs.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Send TopicPrint