Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Action recommendation? (Read 34251 times)
38_Cal
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Action recommendation?
Reply #45 - Sep 13th, 2005 at 11:18pm
Print Post  
Let's not forget all the very fine variations on the .303 Brit, by Epps  and others in the British Commonwealth.  Brass is readily available and cheap, unlike the .307 Winchester.   

One of my "one of these days" projects is to make up a .35 Remington Rimmed, using .303 as the base case, so that I can use a standard chambering reamer and dies...probably on a Rolling Block action.

David 
Montezuma, IA

David Kaiser
Montezuma, IA

IP Logged

xxgrampa
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 1:15am
Print Post  
greetings ol dog,

sorry, but i have no excperiance with the 257 whby. i feel the same way about belted cases that you feel about the wsm's. i just don't like them.

howsomever, i do have a few of them belted rascals. only  because i couldn't find anything else. when i do load them up i make sure the case headspaces on the shoulder and  not the belt. headspaceing on the belt leads to all kinds of accuracy pblms.

do have a 25krag myself, howsomever, don't believe i would wang away at a deer 350yds away with it unless it had the rite bullet.

check with the sierra bulletsmiths. they will tell you how thick the jackets are on thier 25cal bullets. some 25's mite open on deer at the 350yd velocities while others won't.

hst and j. d. had some very good thoughts on diff cartridges. both of those guys are wizzards.

good luck and ttfn..

PS.. the only thing i do like about the whby is... sliding a looong cartridge into a singleshot(:>)

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #47 - Sep 15th, 2005 at 4:15pm
Print Post  
Old Dog, you might consider a Browning Wyoming Commemorative .25-'06, these have 30" octagon barrels.  Dealers usually offer them for $1000-1200, but I picked mine up several months ago from auctionarms.com for $750 new in the box.  Have not shot it yet and the trigger is awful, it has to go to Lee Shaver for his $25 trigger job.  I would have liked it better without the gold "inlay" on the frame but I have seen worse.  The stock has to be replaced because it has the horrible old rifle crescent buttplate for the Western look, I can't imagine anything less rational for a .25'06.  The pistol grip cheekpiece stock for a B-78 will fit and I am hunting for one.   Velocity out of this long barrel should be right up there with a .257 Weatherby.   You might buy one of these and try it out, if you luck out on the accuracy you can stop there.  If not, go ahead and get one of the good smiths to put on a match quality barrel and sell the original barrel on ebay.

IP Logged

Bob_Allen
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Sep 16th, 2005 at 9:55am
Print Post  
  Old Dog;
           In looking for a single shot rifle I asked if anyone had any experiance with the 97d rifles by E.A.Brown.On no account did any info on several forums come to light.So I ordered one in 6ppc,a cartridge I have alot of experiance with.
This rifle shoots VERY WELL!VERY VERY WELL!!
   In the last three days I have sat down with this rifle thro
ugh 300 rounds 7 different bullets and only two powders.
    No it's not a classic.It is a falling block.And it looks and carrys well IMO.I had wanted a Hi Wall but I took a chance on this.I,ll be getting another in the spring.If you live in CT. or near here come and try it,if you can find one near you try theirs,an interesting rifle..................Bob Allen

IP Logged

Old_Dog
Ex Member

Reply #49 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
O.K.!  I've picked up a 30-06 Browning 78 made in the 70's.  I am going to have it rebarreled in 6.5-284.  I wrestled with a traditional cartridge but in the end, my priorities of accuracy and 350 yard deer potential have led me down this path.  What I need now is the following:

Rebarrel with a match grade, half octogon barrel and rework that abortion of a trigger.  Need to rebed the forearm and remount the scope bases, etc.  A cool replacement lever might be a good idea, too!  That S shape doesn't do a lot for me.  Anything necessary to make this a first class shooter.

Refinish and perhaps reshape the current Monte Carlo pistol grip stock.  The existing wood looks very nice and has fabulous figure,  but there are numerous scratches in that shiny, plastic coated finish.  I need a hand rubbed oil finish and I wouldn't mind if someone could knock off the raised comb, leaving a nice shawdowline cheekpiece.

I need to be talked into either a nice color case or french grey finish on the receiver, with a rust blue barrel.  Some nice scribbling on the sides of the receiver might be nice, too.

I don't ask for much.  Just a super accurate, 350 yard deer capable, awesome looking single shot with an incredible fondle factor.   Cheesy  I probably shouldn't tell you guys this, but I plan to sleep with this gun!   Grin

Any suggestions regarding the appropriate people to call for each remaining phase of this project would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks for all the input,  guys!

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 8:48am
Print Post  
Old_Dog,

For the trigger you can send it down to Lee Shaver for his trigger job. He squares things up and puts in a lighter trigger spring as far as I could tell after looking at one a friend had done. Or, you can have Dale53 send you the instructions on how to do it yourself. This amounts to putting a screw in thru the stock bolt hole engaging the sear and setting things up that way. A simple job you can easily do and between a friend and I we've done 1/2 a doz. without any problems. Comes down to a nice crisp 1 to 2 pds if you want. I still can't figure out how he was able to figure that out!

For the accuracy requirements you want I would suggest staying with a round barrel. I can't prove it myself but there is some controversy that says a round barrel is slightly more accurate than an oct. or half oct. one. Considering what you want you're gonna need all the help you can get.

I've had French Grey, blued, and color cased receivers. I like the color case best. Very traditional. Don Menk for this. But, I'm sure you'll have some comments in favor of any of the others to.

For engraving, I think all on here would agree, you can't do any better than our own Ken Hurst. If you go this route tho Ken will advise you to get a French Grey or something similar to show the engraving up best. Ken knows the guy to send this to, or I imagine he'll do that for you as part of the job.

I think we've all given you a hard time about being able to do this project to your satisfaction, but I'm sure we all hope you get it done. As you go along I hope you'll keep us posted on it. If nothing else you'll have one beautiful looking gun.

Better watch that comment on sleeping with this gun. Sounds pretty kinky to me.  Grin

PETE

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #51 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 9:59am
Print Post  
OK, sounds like you're on your way...I love the planning of a new rifle project almost as much as actually getting started...almost!

Just a word of caution...the Browning B78 and the Browning 1885 use completely different trigger mechanisms, and Brother Dale's sear engagement screw doesn't quite work on the B78.  The two actions are nearly identical, and use a lot of common parts, but the trigger ain't one of them.  I rebarreled a B78 and shot it in BPCR silhouette competition for a couple of seasons, but couldn't find anyone who was willing to work on the trigger group.  I finally started messing with the adjustment screws (after getting a copy of the factory instruction manual from Browning) and was able to get a consistent, manageable, 3 pound pull on mine. 

Greg

IP Logged

Old_Dog
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 12:17pm
Print Post  
Thanks, Pete and Greg!  This is my favorite time during a project, too.  Unlimited possibilities before you have to start compromising.  I guess that's why it's important to prioritize attributes before you start.

I was afraid Dale's trigger fix might not work on a Browning 78, as I know that was one of the things changed when they went to the 1885.  Does anyone know someone who would be willing to tackle one?  I haven't been able to find a replacement trigger.

I don't know about a round barrel.  I kinda wanted something distinctive.  I've heard some good things about Dan Lilja's octagon barrels and I've always had good luck with Hart and Shilen (round barrels).  I've never tried Badger.  I'll have to get recommendations from whoever does the barrel work.

Everytime engraving or metal work comes up, it seems Ken's name is always at the top of the list.  As soon as I get all the suppliers chosen, his name will be at the top of MY list.  With luck, his schedule may be able to accomodate my project.

So, I still need a top notch rebarreler/accurizer/triger guru and a stock refinisher/reshaper.   Grin  Who would you trust with your dream?  Smiley

Jim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 
Send TopicPrint