Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Buffalo Classic-New england Firearms rifle (Read 19204 times)
swifty
Ex Member

Buffalo Classic-New england Firearms rifle
Mar 20th, 2005 at 9:59am
Print Post  
I just joined the ASSRA # 9113.I received Journal Vol/58,No.4 Jul-Aug 2004.Page 22 in an article A Modest Schuetzen
Steven Durren writes about converting a NEF aka H&R single shot rifle to a schuetzen.There is a Steven Durren associated with Johnson's Sporting goods listed on page 55. I assume he is the same person.
There is also an article in the Single Shot Exchange for March 2005 by a Major Keogh on modifying a New England Firearms H&R single shot rifle. Both used the H&R rifle to build from..
I ordered a Buffalo Classic Rifle 45/70 32 inch green mountain barrel as a starter BPCR rifle. Including tax the rifle will cost $348 .I come from muzzel loader group of shooter so this is a new area for me. 
My plan is to lap the barrel, refinish the stock in a nice oil rubbed finished and recut the checkering of the stock. I have an extra single set trigger that I wonder if I could use in the Buffalo classic. I plan to replace the receiver sight with a tang sight or a lyman receiver sight.
The gun is ordered so its on the way so the issue is not wheather or not to buy.
The question is have any of you had any actual experence with this particular firearm -have you modified it- have you changed it -and what were your experiences???? 

IP Logged

clubshoot
Ex Member

Re: Buffalo Classic-New england Firearms rifle
Reply #1 - Mar 20th, 2005 at 2:36pm
Print Post  
I would test fire the rifle before fooling around with lapping the barrel. I've seen Green Mountain barrels perform as well as any. What is really important is getting the right bullet. You may want to call GM, if you don't have the numbers, and get groove and bore specs. Steve Brooks can make you any bullet needed.

IP Logged

TimK
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 2:54pm
Print Post  
Swifty,  I have a H&R Buffalo Classic.  I changed the rear sight to the Lyman they sell, as I was using light smokeless loads & BP loads.  I can get 1" to 2" groups with it, if it's a calm day and I'm shooting good.  I opened the barrel channel to fload the barrel beyond the hanger stud.  I also put a rubber washer on the stud.  I had a brass rod machined to fit into the stock to better balance the gun and reduce the recoil.  My gun started shooting better after I floated the barrel.  I've been thinking about getting a scope mount to just see how good that gun would shoot, as I don't think I'm all that good with iron sights, yet.  Tim K

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 21st, 2005 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Hi TimK
What is the model number on the lyman receiver sight that you used.
Did you glass bed the forarm? 
Thanks
Swifty

IP Logged

TimK
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 7:47am
Print Post  
The sight is the one you can get off the H&R web site.  I just called them up and ordered it.  I figured there was a chance of getting the wrong one from Midway or someone else.  No, I have not bedded the barrel, although it sounds like a good idea, as I'm getting ready to do an old Ruger#77 that I bought in 1970 when I lived in Alaska.  Sloppy fit, you get 3 good rounds then they are all over the place until you loosen the screws and center it.  It's OK for deer hunting, but not for woodchucks.  Tim K

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2005 at 1:50pm
Print Post  
I have no general comments to offer about the rifle (no personal experience with it, specifically). Steve Durren will be the one to give you actual user info regarding the rifle.

However, I did compete in BPCR Silhouette for over fifteen years. That experience allows me to make an observation or two regarding BPCR's in general.

Make quite sure that the particular rifle is approved for BPCR Silhouette and/or long range. There are specific qualifications that need to be met and these folks have NO sense of humor Grin regarding shooting an unapproved rifle. I have no argument regarding the equipment, it is just that you need to be sure it will be accepted before you spend a lot of money equipping a rifle that will not be allowed to compete. It HAS happened, believe me.

If your rifle has a Green Mountain barrel on it, you will probably find that it's interior should be as good as it needs to be. I wouldn't do a thing to the inside - it's already "Ready". Steve's rifle shoots well (the project rifle) so I expect that your's will (bedding the forend is probably a REALLY good idea).

Sights - if you intend to shoot "Mid to Long range" you will need a vernier tang sight. A Lyman or other brand similar sight will NOT have the range needed to get hits from 200-1000 yards like a true long range vernier sight will do. I can recommend the "Parts Unknown" ( the Ukrainian sights)verniers as well as the Browning on the "low end" as well as the Baldwin and MVA sights on the "high end" (none of these are inexpensive). There are other good ones out there, of course.

At any rate, if you have any idea of shooting past two hundred yards or so, you will need a good set of Vernier sights. I don't recommend the cheap Italian conversion sights. Pedersoli, however, does make a decent sight but you have to know which model is a good one.

Good luck and shoot center!

Dale53

IP Logged

Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Sep 5th, 2005 at 8:55am
Print Post  
You can get a bit more elevation with the "Buff Classic" by replacing the front sight (Lyman 17a) with a shorter 17a.
I have only had mine a short time, so I haven't broke it in yet.
Best,
Mike

IP Logged

smokinjoe
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Swifty, I've been shooting the B/C for about a year now, and it's a good rifle for the price. It's not legal for BPCR Silhouette, but is accepted in a few of the other classes. Mine likes the Lee 500 3R and the Paul Jones Creedmore with SPG lube.
Forget about lapping............probably won't need it.
Also, OAL info to touch lands:

Lee 500 3R = 2.900
Paul Jones    = 2.910

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 6:21pm
Print Post  
I would like to know what sights you have been using with the buffalo classic /target rifle. I have both barrels. My experience with the Williams sight is that it is very difficult to adjust.Yhere are no clicks and its hard to adjust.

IP Logged

smokinjoe
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Mine uses a vernier tang (5" elevation) inletted into the stock wrist and the Lyman 17A (.584")

Check over at Graybeard Outdoors; there's a ton of guys shooting and modifying them:

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

swifty
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Which vernier tang,model number or name,and details.

IP Logged

smokinjoe
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Sep 6th, 2005 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Pedersoli, made for the 1874 Sharps. 2.260" hole spacing, windage adjustments, perpendicular adjustment.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

leadball
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Is it true that the H&R Buffalo Classic is not legal for BPCR--I suppose that would mean all break-down [tip up] rifles are not legal.  I wonder why. as this type rifle preceded most of the falling-block's used in BPCR.   leadball

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Sep 11th, 2005 at 11:01pm
Print Post  
It's true the rifle isn't legal for BPCRS, and it's probably for about the same reason that bbls shorter than 21.5" aren't legal for ASSRA.

I.e., someone in authority decided, for whatever personal reason, that he didn't want it to be legal.
JMO, Joe

PS there has been some discussion about petitioning the NRA Silhouette Committee to make it legal, but nothing yet that I know of.

IP Logged

Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 8:51am
Print Post  
I think it uses a "Reciever Style" sight. That is one thing that disqualifies the H&R. Are there other reasons?
It seems a tang sight woud make it leagle.
Best,
Mike

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint