Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Buffalo Classic-New england Firearms rifle (Read 19224 times)
JDSteele
Ex Member

Re: Buffalo Classic-New england Firearms rifle
Reply #15 - Sep 12th, 2005 at 9:12am
Print Post  
The sight isn't the reason, it's the break-open action. H&R didn't make this action back then, and no other application for legalizing a break-open action has been made under the name of any other maker, so far as I know. Hopefully that'll change.

Maynard of course made a break-open action and it's legal, but it isn't the same as the H&R.
TTFN, Joe

IP Logged

Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 7:55pm
Print Post  
I thought, (and that usualy gets me in trouble) that H&R relied on the Frank Wesson 1860 tip up for their historical link.
The newer ones are called "Harrington and Wesson".
Just curious.
Mike

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 8:18pm
Print Post  
Evidently the NRA needs it spelled out for them since the company names are different. Or maybe the 'snob factor' is at work here, that possibility has occurred to me. Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 17th, 2005 at 8:29pm
Print Post  
Maybe they are afraid they will open it up to TC Encores. Smiley
Best,
Mike

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Guys, this topic comes up  pretty regularly.  I REALLY don't think that the NRA has it in for the Buffalo Classic...this organization wants and needs all the competitor's dollars it can get.  I'd bet that no one has properly petitioned the competition committee for it's inclusion.   

Just for the record:

3.4 Black Powder Cartridge Rifle-A hunting or military style rifle, single shot, originally made for black powder, of United States manufacture prior to 1896 and being typical of the era.  Replicas thereof, regardless of origin of manufacture, are permitted.  Hammer must be exposed. If replacement barrels, stocks, or other parts are used, they must be as original.  No schuetzen-style rifles permitted.  One rifle will be used during all phases of the match.  Examples of permissable rifles are: Ballard, Buck, Bullard, Cole, Farrow, Maynard, Peabody, Redfield, Remington Hepburn, Remington Rolling Block, Sharps, Springfield Trapdoor, Stevens Tip-up, Stevens No. 44, Wesson Falling Block, Wesson (hinged barrel), Whitney Phoenix, Whitney Rolling Block, Winchester 1885, and Wurfflein.  While the following single shot actions may not conform to the exact criteria of Rule 3.4, they are allowed because they conform to the spirit of the competition in form and function, provided the firearms conform to all other configurations of Rule 3.4: Browning Model 78, Browning Model 1885, C. Sharps '75, Falling Block Works, Stevens 44 1/2, and Wickliff '76.  Replicas other than exact reproductions of pre-1896 Black Powder actions as described above and shooting equipment as described herein, must be passed by the Silhouette Committee with the advice of the Black Powder Committee.  It shall be the competitor's responsibility to provide any documentation which may be required to establish that all Black Powder Cartridge Rifle equipment conforms to these rules.

Sorry to bore you with the rules, but there you have it.  The Buffalo Classic is not an exact replica of a pre-1896 rifle.  Your best shot is to petition the Silhouette Committe for it's inclusion under the " spirit of the competition" clause, that I placed in italics above.  Who knows, stranger things have happened...

Greg

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 5:47pm
Print Post  
Quote:
 Who knows, stranger things have happened...

Greg

Yeah. Stranger. Like approving the new so-called 'Farrow', made of stainless steel no less. It's a NON-faithful reproduction of a strictly target (& SCHUETZEN target at that!) rifle which in its original form is illegal. IMO, and incidentally also in my experience, it all depends upon who's doing the petitioning.
Food for thought, Joe

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 18th, 2005 at 9:30pm
Print Post  
Joe, I hear you on that one!  I never meant to imply that I liked, agreed with, or even understood the rules  Undecided...I guess what my somewhat be-labored point was, is that them's the rules, as they stand...but a mechanism is in place for change.

Personally, FWIW, I don't believe ANY ADVANTAGE exists with ANY suitable action.  If it did, everyone would be shooting stainless steel pseudo Farrows.  I've seen excellent (and not so excellent) scores shot with just about anything you can imagine, just shooting weekend matches here in the midwest...

I believe that the single most limiting factor with the BP target sports is a person's ability to craft match-grade ammunition with cast lead and black powder.  After that, learning to deal with the "conditions" that affect these cartridges to a MUCH greater extent than you might expect is the next hurdle...action type and any perceived advantages are way down on my list of stuff to worry about.   

When I first got interested in this venue several years ago, someone on the old Shooter's Talk board told me I was embarking on a post-graduate reloading course...and I ain't nowheres near to graduating yet!  I guess that's what keeps me coming back for more.

Greg

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 19th, 2005 at 10:00am
Print Post  
Greg, I agree about the reloading. I was fortunate enough to have been casting the 457125 since the '60s, so got just a little taste & experience in that way. But the expertise necessary for truly excellent ammo is still eluding me.

And, for purposes of silhouette shooting, I also agree about the action type not being the deciding factor. The convincing argument, for me, was the example set by Gunny several yrs ago at the first Cyber Shoot in E Texas, where he turned in a truly outstanding performance with his sidehammer Sharps.

His score itself wasn't a record, although it was enough to win the shoot very handily (around 30-31 as I remember). No, the convincing factor for me was the fact that he did it with a broken rifle.

Yes, his set triggers broke while shooting the turkeys, and he went on to clean them and then win the shoot by his outstanding shooting at the other banks as well. And he was shooting against some mighty stiff competition from those guys in E Texas as well as the rdnck and Dangerous Dan Theodore. But he whupped 'em all handily and made a believer out of me, I can tell ya.

So IMO the action a person likes the best is probably the one with which they'll do their best shooting, at least in the silhouette competitions & also in most offhand Schuetzen competitions as well. Benchrest OTOH...................
Regards, Joe

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint