Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Action recommendation? (Read 34267 times)
Old_Dog
Ex Member

Re: Action recommendation?
Reply #15 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
Singelshotman:

Thanks for your reply, but I don't understand your concern about offhand shooting.  I don't think I've taken an unsupported shot at a deer in 20 years.  I take deliberate shots.  I want excellent accuracy because many of my shots (in four different states) annually come from stands or on stalks where I have time to use a tree, a rock or crossed  sticks before taking a shot.  I don't jump shoot deer.

I'm a little surprised that there doesn't appear to be an icon like Echols, Jarrett, Sisk or Bansner, whose ability to put together a single shot rifle with premium components and painstaking craftsmanship to produce a .5 MOA rifle is legendary.   

I'm also not sure why a rimmed cartridge is preferable in a single shot?  Won't a rimless cartridge function reliably?  All my single shots to date have chambered rimless cartridges.  Other than the 25 Krag and 7.65R, what are the rimmed cartridges you would recommend that produce ballistics similar to the 25-06 to 280 range?  What are the hot 6.5mm's I should look at?  Is the 7x57R a popular choice?  I would much rather have a traditional cartridge but I don't think I'll find one with the energy or trajectory needed for 350 yard shots at large deer.

I do appreciate the input from those who have been there and done that!

Jim

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 5:05pm
Print Post  
Old_Dog,

Not even Harry Pope himself would guarantee a 1/2 MOA out of his barrels/guns, and he was considered the best, along with a coupla others in his day. You're talking apples and oranges when comparing what can be done with a SS and a state of the art bolt gun. There are probably quite a few smiths who could do your project to most peoples satisfaction, but none would guarantee 1/2 MOA. My smith has made quite a few guns for our club members that easily go below 1 MOA on demand. But, I haven't seen one that will do below 1/2 MOA on demand. Sure, they will all hit that level of accuracy, and do so several times out of ten in good conditions. But, that's not a 1/2 MOA gun.

Rimless cases can be used in SS's but usually require quite a bit of work to get them to work reliably, and if you're using an original action will require the addition of a special extractor and spring to let the extractor override the rim and to keep the extractor tight into the rim cut. This is why most will recommend a rimmed case. Nothing wrong with those cases either. Also, since the rimless case headspaces on the shoulder this would mean that most SS actions wouldn't allow you to have a "crush" fit, like bolt guns do, as they slide vertically in their mortises and anything sticking more than a coupla thousandths beyond the end of the barrel won't allow the action to close. There are at least two actions that "rock" into place but I'd hesitate to even mention them considering the requirements you want.

Even if you can find a smith that will guarantee you 1/2 MOA you better get the load he guarantees this with or you will be spending a lot of dollars achieving it. In the calibers you want to play with I'm not aware of any "proven" accuracy loads such as there are for the .222, .223, .308, .30/06, .45 ACP, and a few others. So I would imagine you'll have to take your chances with a good smith and hope you can find the Holy Grail.

PETE

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 5:12pm
Print Post  
Old Dog,

Rimmed cartridges were the state of the art when most of these actions were designed, and thus the extraction systems were designed around them.  Rimless cases didn't come into vogue until well into the bolt-action era, and the typical claw-type extractor was designed for these cases as well (to maximize magazine capacity and give reliable feeding in military bolt guns).  These classic actions can be converted to handle rimless cases, but it requires all sorts of mechanical gyrations.  Rugers (which you don't like) and the new Browning 1885's were likewise designed to handle rimless cases, as well as rimmed.

As far as accuracy potential, you're comparing apples to non-apples.  While the classic single shot can be made to shoot VERY WELL, it typically requires much more effort, from both the 'smith and the shooter (and his handloading skills) to maximize the potential that might be in the barrel.  It just ain't the same as screwing a Hart barrel on a sleeved Remington 700 action, glueing the works in a McMillan fiberglass benchrest stock, and calling the result a hunting rifle.  I don't doubt that Kenny Jarret can build an accurate Ruger No. 1, for example.  I'd bet you won't get him to make his famous 1/2" guarantee with one, though...

As always, your mileage may vary, and these opinions are worth exactly what they cost!

Good luck in your search,
Greg

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Dang, Pete...I guess we were both writing at the same time, and you pulled the trigger first!

Greg

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 5:37pm
Print Post  
Greg,

Looks like it, doesn't it.  Grin But, you did add a few points, and maybe we can put to rest the idea Old_Dog is gonna get a 1/2 MOA rifle out of the box. If we could do that with a SS I'd lay out some pretty good money to get one to.

PETE

IP Logged

Old_Dog
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 6:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks, guys!  I really am a novice at single shots.  As I mentioned before, I've owned and reloaded for several before.  I currently shoot a #1B in .270 that has had nothing more than a Moyers trigger, a Hick's foreend accurizer and a split quarter-rib done to it, and it will keep 150gr. Ballistic Tips over H4350 in .75" all day long.  Partitions will go into less than 1" with H4831 and H4350.  140gr. Accubonds will do better than that.  I figured a good gunsmith and thousands of bucks would be able to get better results than I could with a $600 out of the box Ruger and  $100 worth of accessories.  I don't mind being wrong, it happens a lot.  Cry

Maybe I'm asking the wrong question.  Forget the word .5 " "guarantee".  I don't recall using it, but, no matter.  What caliber, gun, or gunsmith, would you use if you wanted to get as close as possible to my wish list for a great looking, superaccurate, 350 yard, deer gun?  Pretend you had $3,000 to $4,000 to do what you wanted.   Remember, Sharps buffalo guns and Ruger #1s don't qualify.  The Borchardt action looks pretty cool, though.   Grin

Jim

IP Logged

singelshotman
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:33pm
Print Post  
the sharps borcharct is one of the best, i had one till my wife went on disability and i had to sell it to pay my property taxes.
If you like hammer guns it's hard to beat a high wall-i don't recommand Stevens 44-1/2's- i have trouble getting in a 38-55 cartridge.

IP Logged

First_Shirt
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
OK, since you asked...

I'd start (since I like my single shots to at least LOOK traditional) with a Browning 1885 action (strong enough for anything that can be fired from the shoulder, and already rimless-capable).  To that, I'd add a Lilja or Krieger barrel, .25 caliber (personal preference), contoured full octagon and chambered in .25-06.  I'd stock it in exhibition grade English walnut in as close to the original Winchester Special Sporting pattern (pistolgrip, cheekpiece) as possible, with the traditional forend as well, and fit it up with a skeleton grip cap and skeleton buttplate.

Careful bedding and floating of the forend (possible with the Browning forend hanger) will help to optimize the accuracy.  With a decent set of optics on top, it should do anything the rifleman is capable of, out to 350-400 yards.

As for gunsmiths...Glenn Fewless, Mike Lewis, John King, Ron Snover are a few whose work I'm familiar with...and all are VERY good at single shots.

Greg

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #23 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
Old Dog, If I were emBARKing (no pun intended  Grin  ) on the quest you are, I would start with a Browning/Winchester (new made) in .25-06 and learn the idiosyncracies involved with two piece stocks, breech blocks instead of bolts, etc., etc., etc.  Once I had really convinced myself that I had learned what I wanted and needed to know in order to make an informed decision and armed with the knowledge born of experience, I would then plunk down the several thousand hard earned dollars you mention to buy the ideal rifle that I now knew to ask for.  From my current vantage point, I would probably end up with a Meacham or Ballard Rifle Co high-wall in some appropriate caliber (I still kinda like .25-35, but YMMV) or I would call Al Story in Oklahoma, I believe, and order one of his gorgeous Sharps Borchardt repros.  But these are MY feelings developed from MY experiences and as with all such matters YMMVWidely!   
One thing we should have mentioned from the get-go is that you should read everything you can get your hands on about single shot design, building, care, and feeding.  I highly recommend "The Modern Schuetzen Rifle" by Dell and Schwartz and "The Breech Loading Single Shot Rifle" by Roberts and Waters.  You also should go through (if not buy and outright devour) at least the first couple of James Grant's series, "The Single Shot Rifle," "More Single Shot Rifles," "Still More Single Shot Rifles," etc. and at least the first of Frank deHaas' books, "Single Shot Rifles."  Much of what you read here we gleaned from these and similar sources, but just like reading the Bible and ending up a Baptist or  a Presbyterian, your views will be based on your life experiences, personal views, and a strong shot of serendipity...heck, you might even find out you like something wierd like a Stevens!  (Sorry, leadball! 8)  ) 
Well, this rant has gone on long enough, but I hope you will enjoy and get something out of it, congratulations for finding "the one true way" of shooting, one shot at a time!   8)

Regards,
Froggie

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Sep 8th, 2005 at 11:10pm
Print Post  
Another option that occurs to me is Alan Hall's (I believe) action. Alan Hall (I think this is the guy) is better known for his top-level custom benchrest bolt actions, but he also makes a single shot action as well. I tried to find info on it tonight but it's submerged somewhere in what we jokingly call my files.

As I recall, it's a compact sidelever falling-block action of no particular distinction in appearance and without any external hammer. Not beautiful, not ugly, somewhere in between. Certainly better looking than the Borchardt or Hoch or Miller-de Haas but not quite as pleasing as the Hagn or Ruger to my own eye. (even if Rugers are far too common for good braggin' rights, you gotta admit they're good looking, VBG)

I would estimate this action might cost somewhat over $1000 but not as much as $2000. I would also estimate that Alan Hall could probably build as accurate a rifle as anyone in the country, judgng by his benchrest bolt actions.

I believe he's located in Alabama but don't have the contact info.

Have you considered customizing a Ruger by adding sideplates or scalloping the action panels? A few simple alterations can completely change the appearance as desired, while retaining the good characteristics. Just a thought.
Good luck, Joe

IP Logged

wesg

Reply #25 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 1:15am
Print Post  
Your high end estimate is a couple hundred shy.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Tentman
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 6:41am
Print Post  
Hello Guys

Time for me to risk a bit of a rant (being a newbie etc), I'm testing my opinions as "advice" so feedback welcomed.

I'm not too sure that a 0.5" or even a 1.0" rifle will add anything for shooting deer size animals but if thats what you need to be confident then I won't argue.

Maybe there are some features that might help narrow down your choices. 

Firstly is a beefy stock bolt and socket for the buttstock or even better a one piece stock, but there are pecious few single shot actions so designed, and thats one of the main reasons I consider you won't get a single shot to approach the accuracy avaliable from a bolt action.

Secondly is a fast lock time, lots of persons can shoot well with a slower locktime, but they are the exception rather than the rule by my observation.

Thirdly would be a straight line firing pin, hitting at dead centre (surprising how many rifles are not dead centre, and I think on a "block locking" action its real important).

The above kinda narrows it down, and thats before you start considering triggers etc.

Cheers - Foster

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 9:42am
Print Post  
I am amazed, nay I'm astounded at the price of the Hall action. IMO it's not worth anywhere near that much, primarily because it's not very attractive to my eye. Kinda reminds me of the Dakota 10 in that aspect, it's just not very attractive to my eye considering the price. The self-setting set trigger is an excellent feature but doesn't make up for the price. The rear line of the receiver is very unattractive to my eye because it clashes with the lines of the wrist, it really needs to be altered somewhat in order to be good looking. Also the receiver ring is far too short for either best looks or best accuracy IMO.

IMO it would be a great action for around $1500 or less, sorry Alan.

If I wuz planning on spending $3-6K for a rifle, I would INSIST that it be attractive, in fact I would insist that it be a VERY nice art object in and of itself in addition to and regardless of its performance. This does not mean simply good or even excellent workmanship although a superior workmanship level is absolutely required in a rifle costing this much.

No, I would also insist that the lines and shape of the rifle be very attractive to my eye. And the Hall isn't, nor is the Dakota or the factory Borchardt or any Stevens for that matter. And the Hoch or Miller-de Haas kinda look like trot-line sinkers to me. But that's why they make chocolate & vanilla and have horse races & elections, differences of opinion.

I guess I'll hafta stay with my choice of the Hagn for an expensive action with either an altered Ruger or altered Borchardt as my second less-expensive choice. I love Winchester walls but they too are not the most attractive if left unaltered, they need a different top tang line for best looks IMO, and the wall tang line is difficult to alter successfully. And then there's that lever.........

You can get either a Ruger or Borchardt for much less than a Hall or Dakota or Hagn, and use the extra money to alter and improve its looks before your smith begins the stock work. AAMOF a new lever & a little scalloping on either action will effectively improve and disguise its appearance so that it's almost unrecognizable as the common or ugly original that it once was.

When I worked in nuclear power we were introduced to the famous 80-20 rule, i.e. solving 80% of any problem takes 20% of the total time and the last 20% of the problem takes the other 80% of the time.

Well, I figure that I spend 80% of my time in handling & fondling a rifle but only 20% of my time in actually shooting it or hunting with it. So the aesthetics are very, very important to me & therefore a rifle that's less than beautiful is NOT what I want to spend my money on.

True, accurate rifles are always interesting rifles but I'm sorry, ugly rifles don't attract me at all regardless of their accuracy. It's too easy to have both beauty AND accuracy, why sacrifice either one?

I suggest you call my friend the estimable Mr hst, he can build you a rifle that's as accurate as any. His record of proven personal accuracy performance with his own rifles is very enviable and his machining skills are impeccable. I haven't yet seen any of his stockwork but his metal-working skills are unsurpassed IMO.
Good luck whatever your choice, Joe

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 10:04am
Print Post  
A few further personal observations on accuracy needed for hunting.

The usual error-of-aim in the field has been calculated to be around 1 MOA or more, because of things like lack of a truly steady rest, relatively light rifle, elevated adrenaline levels, shortness of breath, rushing the shot due to fear of the game moving, etc etc. When you add the error due to the rifle's accuracy capability (say another 1 MOA) then you have a possible total error of 2 MOA even before you consider other things like wind or range estimation.

At 350 yds this translates to a possible 7", easily enough to totally miss the instantly-vital area of a whitetail deer & end up with a wounded animal that has run off. Not A Good Thing. So IMO all the accuracy available is still not too much, and 1 MOA is the absolute maximum that's acceptable to me for a big-game hunting rifle to be used at ranges over 300 yds.
JMOFWIW, regards, Joe

IP Logged

Old_Dog
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Sep 9th, 2005 at 4:12pm
Print Post  
Joe:

I agree with you on both the accuracy and the aexthetic requirements.  In fact, about the only thing we don't agree on is the attractiveness of the Ruger action.  Wink

Jim

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 
Send TopicPrint