Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Another Powder (Read 11167 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Another Powder
Jul 19th, 2004 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I think I've just about wrung out IMR 4227 so have been thinking about trying out another one. I see some match results where some have good results with H110 & H108. Couldn't find any H108 locally so bought a pd. of H110.

I've never tried H110 before so was wondering if someone could give me a starting point for it.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Re: Another Powder
Reply #1 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
Pete;
How about "straight from the horse's mouth?):

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Hogdon doesn't recommend that you reduce H110 by more than 3% to start (might get bad ignition).

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 3:44pm
Print Post  
Dale53,

(slap on the forehead) Why didn't I think of that!  Smiley Thanks!

Seeing H4227 listed reminded me a friend recommended that and said people in his neck of the woods thought it burned slightly cleaner than the IMR. Have you compared the two?

How about H110? Have you used any? I've always been kinda leary of it as I have the impression from others that it tends to build a carbon ring in the throat faster than the stick powders.

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 9:43pm
Print Post  
Pete,

Have been testing various powders this summer and from my results thus far the IMR4227 does not compare with that of DuPont 4227 of 20 years ago with respect to ES's,SD's and accuracy. I tested the IMR4227 with every brand of primer I could gather together, including primers from 25-30yrs ago and was unable to duplicate the consistant MV's and accuracy that I had acheived with this powder 30 years ago. I have tested both H-108 and H-110, the H-108 was sifted and gave extremely tight ES's and accuracy with no real tendency to foul the throat, although lower humidity may indeed increase chances of fouling. The H-110 also gave excellent accuracy, however, it was not sifted and the ES's were in the 20's, this may be reduced to single digits if it too were sifted. No real tendency to foul the throat for the same reasons stated for the H-108 powder. I used WLR primers for all testing with these powders. If you are shooting a 32-40 with 200grn bullet a starting load of 12.0grns should be a safe place to start. Try it you may find the same thing I have.

Barry

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 11:55pm
Print Post  
I have been working with the .32 Dell in the new Peregrine and have been having fun with "Carbine Ball" (WC 820). It  has the appearance of H108 (can't tell them apart) and seems to be "on the same nickel" as far as charge weight is concerned. It is an extremely fine ball powder and burns extremely clean. So far, it appears to be a good choice for the .32 Dell (which is nice since I have so much of it).

Accuracy right now seems to be better than I can shoot. Whether or not I'm able to get to the level that people like Jim Borton remains to be seen Smiley. Here's hopin'.

Since H108 is apparently no longer available, I have reccommended H110 for a friend with a 32/40 and a 28/30.

Barry, do you have any data on the 28/30 with ball powder?

Dale53

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #5 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 9:31am
Print Post  
Pete, 
Try Accurate #9 instead of H110 Others have had erratic behavior for no apparent reason with H110. I belive that the ols AA#9S was the same powder as H108 at least it matches exactly my old loads for AA#9S. The new AA#9 I need to bump loads about .3 of a grain to get back to velosity.
40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 11:41am
Print Post  
Barry,

Your comments on current lots of IMR 4227 is interesting, altho I can't really complain about what I'm getting with my lot of it. with your comments in mind I guess I better test that new can I bought yesterday. I got caught once not testing a new lot of .22 ammo and lost a match because of it. But had always thought that smokeless powders that are sold over the counter are  blended so as to maintain a consistent lot to lot performance. Your comments???

Also your comment on humidity possibly affecting the formation and hardness of the fouling ring is well taken in my opinion. I keep track of temp. & humidity during a shooting session, so it might be possible to find some break points that could be useful.

Sifting powder!?!?!? Now this is something I've heard, and done, with black powder, but didn't know it was something that would benefit smokeless. Considering how fine H110 & H108 are I'm not sure how this would be done. Can you give us a rundown on what you do?

Dale53,

Have a source for 8 lbs of H110. Might have to try that when I get the chance.  Grin

40_Rod,

AA#9 is in the works for a tryout as is SR 4759. I have used it in the past in an 8.15 x 46R but didn't have much success with it. Probably due to the rough bore it would foul up at the most inopportune times, so I switched to 4227, which worked better. As long as it didn't foul out I thought it gave better accuracy than 4227.

The reason for asking about H110 was because I'd never used it and was kind of at a loss as to where to start. So, speaking of that, where do you think a good start point would be for AA#9??

PETE

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 12:13pm
Print Post  
Re the query about smokeless powder maintaining the same characteristics from lot to lot; mostly but not always. Many experts have noted that new lots of 2400 are much hotter than the old stuff and I myself have had to reduce charges in my SA Colt 45s & 44s because of it, when I opened a new 8-lb caddy two years ago. The recoil was noticably increased with my normal charges & I smelt a rat even before testing. Ultimately lowered from 17.0 to 15.5 grs, a very slightly lowered velocity from the original but slightly improved accuracy. The 17.0 load of the new 2400 gave greatly increased recoil, blast, velocity and inaccuracy compared to 17.0 of the old 2400 so I reduced it until I was satisfied. You must bear in mind that these two 8-lb caddies were produced over 10 yrs apart, and so any lot-to-lot blending would be problematic by then. Had noticed no inconsistency up until that time, been shooting 2400 regularly beginning in the middle '60s.

Also in my experience IMR4320 was very erratic 30 yrs ago, while the newer lots appear to be MUCH more consistent. So powder sometimes does change, apparently.

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
Pete,

So far this shooting season I've done some fairly extensive testing using IMR4227, H-108 & H-110. Haven't tried any new lots of H4227 yet though. I hope to test AA-7; AA-9; RL-7;W296;4759 and some others as time allows and I'm testing almost everyday, weather permitting. Hope to have a good data base for comparision of powders and various bullet profiles to share. Right now, I can only comment on those powders and bullets I've tried thus far, its actually too soon for me to "drive my stake in the ground" for a more broad statement. Thus far all of my testing has been done with the 32-40 cartridge and hope to have some data on the 32 Miller also.

As for sifting powder, Jim Borton gave me some sifted H-108 for testing purposes, I beleive Charlie Dell wrote an article in SSRJ a few issues back. I was skeptical till I saw the results for myself, velocity ES's are typically single digit over a wide velocity range. While very tight ES's are not indicative of accuracy, it does show consistancy of the load in general.

Dale,
I have used ball powders in the 28-30 in the past (1980's) with some very good results, however as with my recent experience with IMR4227 I am reluctant to suggest a load or any particular powder other than to say I've used H-110 and W296 in the past with excellent accuracy. 11.0 grns H-110 was a good starting point with a 135 grn bullet and gave MV's in the low 1400fs. As with all fast burning powders increase loads gradually as these powders tend to have a very rapid pressure rise beyond a very narrow load increase.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
JD,

Well, so much for that tale of lot to lot ocnsistency!  Smiley

I'm always really surprised to hear when someone says they have good luck with 2400. I think I've tried it in 1/2 a dozen different calibers, but have always found something that gave better results. Finally ended up just throwing the 1 pd. can I had away.

Barry,

I'm looking forward to when you do publish your test data. From what little I've seen it looks like it'll be a real eye-opener.

Well, maybe Jim, or someone, will get on here and fill us in on how you sift those ball powders. Must take some mighty small screen.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 3:49pm
Print Post  
Barry;
Thanks for the information on the 28/30. I am sure that my friend will thank you, also.

I want to start another thread directed towards you, regarding velocity (of course, I want all to join in).

Dale53
« Last Edit: Jul 20th, 2004 at 7:12pm by Dale53 »  

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 4:36pm
Print Post  
     I have used IMR 4227 and H4227 in the past with a rifle I no longer posess.  It prefered the H4227 with lower charge weights.  No idea of the velocity.  The IMR 4227 seemed a bit hotter in equal charge weights.   
     On another note talking to Chris Hodgdon at the Eau Claire ISSA regional he said that they will continue the production of both 4227's for now.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #12 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 5:43pm
Print Post  
Pete 
in my cpa with a 1:15 twist using a Barnett B2 bullet that weighs 200 grains  I use 13.3 grains of AA#9. I'd start by backing off a full grain and work back up.

40 Rod

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 7:29pm
Print Post  
mes,

Thanks for the info about Hidgdon keeping the IMR 4227 in their line alongwith the H4227. A friend and I were just atlking about this the other day.

40_Rod,

Thanks for the .32/40 AA#9 load. Your 200 gr. Barnett bullet would probably match up pretty closely with the 205 gr. Barnett clone I have.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint