Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic glueing on scope blocks (Read 8861 times)
halp
Ex Member

glueing on scope blocks
Jul 8th, 2004 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
A few of us have been experimenting with some method other than D&Ting an original barrel. We tried using "2 Ton Clear Weld Epoxy Systems" by ITW Performance Polymers. Easy to use , colors with aniline leather dyes but tends not to get a really good glue surface on degreased and cleaned blued barrels. Suitable for light recoiling rifles only. Tried "Black Max 860" adhesive by LocTite. Excellent bonding properties but removal of a scope block produced a slightly frosted appearance on the barrel. Was touched up successfully. The best to date is "Duro Master Mend Epoxy" by LocTite. Requires squeezing out two identical streams of hardener and resin and thoroughly mixing same. Can be tinted by using aniline dye. Excellent bonding, not quite as good as Black Max but quite usable. Removal of the blocks by the application of heat from an electric heat gun was easy. Clean up done with "Savogran HD Super Strip" designed to remove Marine and Polyurethane. Just re oiling the bued barrel made a perfect job.

IP Logged

gws
Ex Member

Re: glueing on scope blocks
Reply #1 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 8:41pm
Print Post  
What was the heaviest recoiling caliber tested?  I'd love to try this before I commit to drilling the barrel on my 32-40.

Thx.

George Springer

IP Logged

halp
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2004 at 10:24pm
Print Post  
George, the largest caliber was a 38-55 with an 18.5 gr of IMR 4227 and a 320 gr Pope style bullet. Yep, a fairly stiff recoil. No problem with the Duro product. Clear weld epoxy did not hold. Blue Max could be used on almost any rifle but Leon offered the warning about slight frosting of an original finish after the block was removed.

IP Logged

hst
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 12:08pm
Print Post  

Mr. Halp:

Thank you for this most interesting information. It will come in handy. Were you mounting these blocks on a round barrel or on the flat of an octogon? If round were the blocks fit tightly to the barrel or did these adhesives have to fill a gap?

What kind of scope was mounted,  internal or external adjustment? I am thinking that an internal adjustable scope would put much more stress on the blocks.

Glenn

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
Glenn;
If Burris Signature Rings are used with a modern scope I do not believe that a modern scope would be any harder to hold than an external scope. In the first place, you would have considerably more area for the epoxy (using a long, custom Weaver base that a number of us use). Further, the "gimbels" in the Burris Signature Rings allow near perfect alighnment of the scope without external stress on the scope or base.

FWIW
Dale53

IP Logged

gws
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
Glenn,  I have a set of scope mounts for a 1" scope that will mount on unertl blocks.  I don't remember the mfgr, that will have to wait until I go back upstairs.  I use them to mount a Redfield 3200 on unertl blocks on my silhouette rifle.  Works quite nicely.  I'll post the maker's name later tonight. GS

IP Logged

Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Hello GWS, A friend uses rings made for the ruger 77 on target
scope bases by filing off the recoil plate on the rings. This can be done with Burris rings for the Ruger also.  Long Rifle

IP Logged

halp
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 9:16am
Print Post  
Sorry Glen, did not visit this forum for a while. We used flat bottom standard scope blocks on octagon sections, curved bottom on round sections of barrels. Since I made my first post on this topic, Leon had reason to want to remove another pair of blocks he glued on using Black Max. He indicated a bit of trouble just heating the blocks and had to tap off the hot blocks. Came off fine, Black Max cleaned off fine and NO blue damage occured. That stuff will hold blocks even better than my favorite, Duro Master. We did make sure we had a tight joint between the barrel surfaces and the blocks. Specially with Duro . Black Max is less fussy and will fill slight gaps.
N[quote author=hst  link=1089330552/0#3 date=1090166933]
Mr. Halp:

Thank you for this most interesting information. It will come in handy. Were you mounting these blocks on a round barrel or on the flat of an octogon? If round were the blocks fit tightly to the barrel or did these adhesives have to fill a gap?

What kind of scope was mounted,  internal or external adjustment? I am thinking that an internal adjustable scope would put much more stress on the blocks.

Glenn[/quote]

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint