Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Powder Moisture Test (Read 3932 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Powder Moisture Test
May 25th, 2004 at 10:04am
Print Post  
If you will remember a while back we had some discussion on whether or not black powder absorbed moisture or not. A point was brought that possibly the test I ran was not long enuf and possibly a longer test would show different results.

Well, with the help of "GWarden" and his screened porch we're gonna run a much longer test. For a coupla months at least, and longer if GWarden wants to do the work.

Just to make things a little more interesting I thought we ought to include a smokeless powder in the test to.

The test is located at the web site below, and has all the particulars on powder used and how it's being carried out.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

PETE
« Last Edit: May 25th, 2004 at 9:42pm by »  

IP Logged

GWarden
Senior Forum Member

Re: Powder Moisture Test
Reply #1 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 10:37pm
Print Post  
Pete
I noticed there have been no replies to our test. No doubt some may question the validity/accuracy of the test. I hope that others will try the test and see if they come up with any different results. It did blow away a notion that many have held for years that BP absorbs moisture. Results certainly indicated differently.
Bob

Game Warden: what boys dream of being and old men wish they could have been

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Re: Powder Moisture Test
Reply #2 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Bob,

As I mentioned at the end of the test, I think the test is slightly flawed in that we didn't have a check wgt. to see if, or how much the scale might be varying from day to day. Also I think we should have fired a set amount of shots with that batch to get a standard, so we could then fire a same number of shots afterwards. We proved that BP doesn't absorb moisture, but we didn't find out if the action of temp. and humidity might have affected performance.

Since there didn't seem to be much interest according to the hit meter on that page, we'll leave that test to when we get you started shooting BP.  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint