Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Flyers (Read 33789 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: Flyers
Reply #30 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 3:08pm
Print Post  
JD,

Found the thread on BPCR about set triggers interesting to. Guess I'm a believer in them for both bench and offhand, even tho the argument against them seems to revolve around their increased lock time due to the lag time it takes for all the parts to move.

I agree that one or two samples of any load are not really indicative of much of anything. When developing a load I will run the same load over several different sessions in order to build up a confidence level for it until I'm satisfied I have what I want. Every load gets at least two chances to prove to me that it acceptable. I don't keep chasing a load if it can't show me in two groups that it will perform. As they say.... The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over expecting different results.  Smiley Those that are good will be kept in the test procedure over a period of days and used as base lines to test others against. Sometimes these base loads will be replaced by another. No load I take to a match will have less than about 10 different trials at the range, either in tests or practice. That's what I was doing today. Both 1-25 and 1-30 have shown that with 14.2 grs. of 4227 they will both shoot pretty good, so I'll keep shooting them till I can determine a winner.

Had to laugh at your comment about chasing the previous shot around. We've got a few of them at the local club to. Even when I KNOW, after a coupla rounds, that I need to move my sights I will only move them half the distance. I've been caught out to lunch to often not to.

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #31 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
MP,

Right now my biggest fear is that the load that works real well at 100 yds. won't at 200. If you've looked at the targets I posted on the web site you might notice that some of the bullets tipped slightly. A slight tipping I'm not to worried about at 200, because rotational velocity is lost quite a bit slower than forward velocity. It might be I'll have to up the charge a bit, or in the worst case go to a shorter design.

I'll find out this Saturday at the match.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #32 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 5:31pm
Print Post  
I can't shoot this well, few folks that I've seen can.
I'd be delighted. 
But...
If making marginal changes in alloy, charge, size etc. don't make substantial and visible changes in group size, then probably/maybe they are making no difference. 
If we can't make a decision based on the available data, then maybe/probably there's no decision to be made.
In this case, I would suggest changing something major, like the bullet or the powder. I can't think what else is major in the system.
I changed from 14.5/IMR4227 to 12/AA#9 in my 30/30 Martini bench gun, because I read reports in the Journal/News that others were using the powder with good results. 
It made a substantial difference, quick. Averages of five 5 shot 100 yard groups went from around 1" to around 3/4", and the odd flyers were reduced.
I just got a M54 Win. in 30/30, with about a 9/16" dia muzzle and a 37# (est.) trigger pull. With my 30/30 load of 12/AA#9, 2 1/2, 311299 Alox (and a GC for no particular reason, don't use em in the Martini), this gun shot 5 in 1.1", .625" and 1.225". The powder works for me. 
I think I've read that AA#9 and H108 are about the same, and very like WW296/H110. 
Another suggestion is that you measure groups with a plastic clear ruler graduated in 1/10". This was suggested to me by John Alexander, and I find that it is easy to measure groups in .025" increments- the difference between say .900", .925", .950" and 1.000" is easy to see-and I'm old and trifocular.
Perhaps a more precise measurement wouls show differences in group size more clearly.
For me, if I can average 3/4" over the long haul, that's all I'll ever want or need from a SS gun. Bench matches can be won with the smaller groups making up the average.
Maybe AA#9 would work for you.
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #33 - Jul 25th, 2004 at 9:18pm
Print Post  
joe b.,

Well, if you'll go to the following page on my web site you'll see a few guys that can do better than what I can do. Will be posting updates for this past weekends shoot later tonite, but no later than tomorrow afternoon.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

I agree entirely that something else could/should be tried in an effort to improve what the gun does now. It's in the works. But first I have to get a fixed ammo load worked up for the .28/30 for possible Woodchuck hunting, and then a .22 experiment using grease grooveless 60 gr. spitzer bullets. Something Barry Darr and I cooked up earlier this Summer and which I'm just getting around to now. I have no idea if anything will come of it but it piques my interest so......  Smiley

I was just hoping there might be some way of determining if the so-called flyers were that or a normal distribution of shots.
Thanks for your input. Maybe when Brent gets his program set up on his web site I can see what kind of confidence level it will predict.

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #34 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Pete;
I'll be interested in your grease-grooveless 22 bullets. I've got no-grease-groove molds in 30, 32 and 45, the 30 and 45 cut by Werner Wolf. They shoot fine with no leading, the 45 is the one I use the most, it's quite accurate out to 600 yards.
I wrote these up for the ASSRA News years ago, chrono measurements at zero and 200 yards showed BC's of the 45 bullet higher than I could believe. The whole point was to see if lack of grease grooves increased BC and reduced wind drift.
Good luck;
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
joe b.

What I'm trying to do with the plain base .22 gg-less bullets is to see if I can get better accuracy. Several years ago I spent the better part of a year trying to get sub 1", 5 shot groups at 100 yds. Couldn't get it done! Of course I'd get those nice 3/4" groups but on averge 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" was it. I tried 1-16", 1-14", 1-12", and 1-10" twists in .224" and .223", and bullets from 35 grs. up to 60 grs., in bolt actions and SS's, along with 1/2 a dozen powders.

Earlier this Summer Barry Darr came up with the idea that if spitzer bullets worked very well in .32 cal guns, why not in a .22? Why wouldn't a gg-less bullet also not work?

I've got a slug mould and swage all lined up, plus a 1-12" .22 Hornet chambered barrel on a Low Wall all ready to go. Just need to get to it!

I've got some LEE liquid Alox to use to coat the bullets. What did you coat your bullets with? What would you consider the maximum velocity you can drive a gg-less bullet at? This end of the project is completely new to me so am open to any ideas.

I figure to first try fixed ammo to see what happens and if things look good I'll have a breech seater made for it and go from there. If nothing else, it ought to make a killer squirrel gun!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #36 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
I'm just about to give up on a Savage 12 BVSS in 223 and Eagan 65gr and NEI 80 GR bullets. I can shoot averages about 1 1/4"-slightly better with the Eagan, slightly worse with the NEI. I've fored over 3000 lead bullets, can't make it go. I've shot 2 sets of 15 Sierra 52 gr hpbtm averaging .6+ or so. 
I've used Darr and Liquid Alox on the NGG bullets. 
With the 45 (446 gr bullet)I've max. 
records of 1162fps (17 Unique), 1279fps (23.5/SR4759)-I settled on the Unique load. No leading, except with Black Powder-which leaded FIERCE. Only 3/8" of COW over the Black stopped the leading. 
In 30/30 14.5/IMR4227 or up to 12.5/AA#9 gave no leading The bullet weighs 208 gr or so.
In 300 Win Mag, 24/IMR4227 or 17/Unique didn't lead. I've got no velocity records on the .30 that I can find.
The .32 is not pretty, it looks like a tin can with a bump on the top. With (max.)14.5/IMR4227 in a 32/35 Maynard, it didn't/doesn't lead.  At 12.5/IMR4227, velocity was 1395fps avg.
I cast almost all bullets from WW.
I have no idea what the max velocity without leading is. BTW, John Alexander shot the smallest 100 yard 5 shot group at the CBA Nationals in 2003 with a .223, he can average in the .6's with his Savage/s.
Good luck;
joe b.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #37 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
joe b.,

Your mention of using WW's for your bullets brings up that kettle of fish. Might have to go harder than the 1-20 I'm gonna start with. One of the problems of course will be what the swaging dies will take. I can go as hard a Monotype if it comes down to it.

You'd think that you could get a .22, of whatever variety, to shoot with Lead, and all the guns I tried would easily go under an inch with jacketed bullets. But glad to hear that John A. is/was getting good groups with his .223. Might be hope yet!!

Not sure what powder I'll start with, but Unique was always good...... and the 4227 & AA#9 should work to.

Hopefully I can get the MV's up at least 1400 fps without Leading. Barry seems to think we'll need more.

I figure it'll take the rest of the Summer to get something decent out of those spitzers.

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

ThRe: Flyers
Reply #38 - Jul 26th, 2004 at 11:06pm
Print Post  
Pete,

I've been following this subject for the past few days, I am very encouarged to hear of Mr. Alexanders results with the .223's accuracy. I beleive there is great potential in working with the subcalibers (under 30). I'm currently running very comprehensive ballistic tests with various bullets, powders at 100 and 200 yards, some of these tests have involved velocities in excess of 1700fs with the 32 calibers, no leading has been observed, however, smokeless powder fouling has been seen with some powder and primer combinations. I will have more to write when my summer tests are completed. As far as the subcalibers are concerned, I beleive any leading/powder fouling may be less of a problem than anticipated. I reluctantly refrain from making any concrete statement at this time so as to not lead anyone astray, interesting things are in the offing. Lips Sealed

IP Logged

joeb33050
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #39 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 5:57am
Print Post  
The 22 gives up a lot of BC, even at 80 grains, to the 30. If all calibers shot equally well, the 22 would have the advantage of less recoil and the disadvantage of more wind drift. It seems that around 28-32 is the best compromise for recoil/accuracy/BC. This especially since the 32 shooters have gotten away from those 165 grain wind-wanderers in the past 20 years or so. I don't know if the "fast twist is bad for cast bullets" theory is correct or not, but my experience is that it's much easier to get a 30 or 32 going than anything much smaller. I tried, because 30's and 32's rule CBA competition, and I just wanted to try something different.
If we could get a 100 grain 22 to shoot, then the 28-32 crowd might be in trouble.
Good Luck;
joe b.

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 10:27am
Print Post  
joe b,

I beleive the 30-32's popularity are as you state, mild recoil, much background loading experience and shooting. Very good accuracy and BC's are obtainable with the correct bullet designs, better than 50% less wind drift at 200 yds. The exciting thing to the lead bullet experimenter and the subcalibers  is the challenge of working with them to squeeze out the best accuracy. As a barrelmaker and moldmaker (25yrs ago) accuracy with the 28 caliber was equal to larger calibers if the shooter carefully read conditions. Shooter ability has eveything to do with the results where they count, at the target. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #41 - Jul 27th, 2004 at 10:28pm
Print Post  
joe b.,

It's quite a misconception that the .32/40 shooters have only gotten away from the 165 gr. bullet in the last 20 yrs. or so. Back in the hey-day of Schuetzen most all target shooters were using the 200 gr. bullet in the .32/40 and the 330 gr. bullet in the .38/55. For hunting the 180 gr. bullet in the .32 was pretty common.

Both Barry and I realise that the .22 is not gonna be the best wind bucker going. But we feel that using the spitzer design will give us a little more advantage over a gg flat nose design. One of the things to do is get the BC for the spitzer design and a similar wgt. gg flat nose design. GWarden doesn't know it yet but he's gonna volunteer his chronograph as one of the two we'll need for that.  Grin

If things work out as we'd like then getting a 90-100 gr. spitzer design made up will be the next challenge. Might have to get Barry out of mould making retirement.  Smiley

Right now all I have to work with is a swage that's really designed for swaging cores for jacketed bullets. Hopefully this will give us an idea of the accuracy, and how fast we can push them using various alloys without Leading.

Barry,

Yeah! John Alexanders success with the .223 is encouraging. Our problem will be that we might not be able to achieve his MV's without a gas check. But another encouraging sign was the other day I was able to push an Ideal 285221 bullet cast 1-32 at 1843 fps, with one of the lube grooves empty. Accuracy wasn't all that great..... or bad, but at least shows we can push soft plain base bullets up into the area you figure we'll need.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint