Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Flyers (Read 33792 times)
PETE
Ex Member

Re: Flyers
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 8:18am
Print Post  
40_Rod,
  Wish I could remember exactly how what I've seen on lube purging was written. As I got it if to much lube is present it will slowly be built up in the bore because the following shot can't wipe it out. When it reaches a certain point where the bullet is squeezed down enuf to force a cleanout, you get a wild shot.

To hard, or to soft lube might play a part in how often this purging takes place, and it might mean, as you say, a softer lube would work better allowing the "wiping" out of the bore by the next shot better.

But we have one other factor that has to be considered to. Fouling! Those that come from a strictly BP shooting experience sometimes get the impression that just because they can't see any fouling in their barrel that there isn't any. Not true!

If there is to much lube, soft or to hard.... take your pick.... then it will pick up fouling faster. It's pretty well known that smokeless powders create a fouling ring just in front of the chamber. Some types worse than others. Instead of lube purging we might have to change the wording to fouling purging. Barry Darr has mentioned when he notices his accuracy starting to fall off he will stop and clean this fouling ring out.

So, whether it's to much lube, or to hard, or a combination of lube and fouling, it will be purged from the barrel if not dealt with by either cleaning, or changes in lube/powder, you are gonna get a flyer once in a while that you can't account for.

I'd sure welcome further comments on this as it's pretty much what I'm thinking and not really backed up by any evidence.

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2004 at 7:45pm
Print Post  
Pete:

I don't think I can buy into this lube purging thing, although I do beleive there is such a thing as too much lubrication. Too much lubrication is more a fault of very deep grease grooves which structurally effect the bullet allowing the bullet bases to slug up differently shot to shot. I have noticed that some combinations of powder, primer and lube cause a fouling condition to occur, this condition is a hard glass like substance in the throat area and will cause erratic muzzle velocities. Cleaning with JB Bore Paste will restore accuracy and consistant MV (with proper load). Recent testing has revealed that minimum lubrication will suffice to velocities over 1600fs (plain base bullets), throat fouling occuring before "leading".

Best Regards,

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 9:00am
Print Post  
ole7groove,

Glad to see you back on the Forum again.

You bring up an interesting point. Erratic MV's!

Lets take my case as an example because I'd like your input on what constitutes erratic MV's. In other words, how much variation do you have to have before you'd consider it erratic?

The following groups were shot in very calm conditions early in the morning, and no shots were called out, altho I'm not ruling out shooter error. The best example would be a group of 3/4" with 4 in a tight 1/2". 14.4 grs. of 4227 with a MV of 1425.9 fps and the SD was 2.9 with an ES of 6.1. This was the 3rd group of the day. The worst example of a flyer was that 15/16" group with 4 in .179", using 14.2 grs. of 4227, at a MV of 1416.0 fps and an SD of 6.4, and ES of 17.8. This was the 2nd group of the day. All the rest of the groups shot with these two powder charges will fall in between in group size, MV, SD, & ES.

It's my understanding that for smokeless powder either one of the above isn't to bad. So what causes the flyer? Lube? Fouling? Both? Or something else?

You mention minimum lube will work up to 1600 fps. I guess I need to tie you down a little more. Minimum can cover a lot of territory.   Smiley

My bullet has 6 grease grooves .045" wide and ,011" deep. Jim Borton mentioned his "old" bullet had 5 grease grooves of virtually the same dimensions and had a mould made up of the same design with 3 grooves of the same dimensions. Jim claims better accuracy and no Leading! So, I guess the question is..... what grease groove dim.'s do you recommend and what did you put on your designs?

Jim:-

OK! You've convinced me.  Smiley I lubed up a batch of bullets with just 4 of the 6 grooves lubed and we'll see what happens Monday.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 9:29am
Print Post  
Pete;
Keep up the good work. I am really interested in this subject. I, specifically, am interested in the details. Discussions like this can prove extremely helpful to a lot of people struggling with various issues.

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Dale53,

Thanks! That's the whole idea of me starting this thread. I knew how I wanted to proceed with trying to find the cause of flyers, but was also looking for any hints someone else would have. Jim's, and others, recommending reducing the lube is a good idea. It was something I had forgotten about, and probably wouldn't have without the jog to the memory since I felt that I was using a very minimal amount of lube as it was. Jim's private email giving the groove dimensions of his bullet convinced me I should try this out asap.

I also agree that more discussion on the various problems and how many people solve them is of obvious benefit to us all. As I'm fond of saying..... the more I learn, the more I find out I really don't know much at all. If a SS shooter has one or two buddies close by to compare notes with they are the exception. Most have to try and figure it out for themselves, and that's why I think a Forum like this is so valuable. I'm just disappointed that more of the people who I KNOW have a lot more knowledge than I do don't speak up. Even if we would disagree with each other on a point we all still benefit!

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 12:53pm
Print Post  
Pete,

Sorry I haven't been on the forum more lately, I,ve been spending as much time as possible doing some ballistic testing while the good weather lasts (no snow).

The comments I made regarding minimum lubrication refer to the actual experience I have had during Jim Bortons tests here. Jim's 3 groove bullet showed no signs of leading and was actually spraying lube particles on my chrono screens 10ft from the muzzle. Jim did encounter fouling (not leading) at higher velocities which resulted in erratic MV's and enlargement of group sizes. As a result of Jim's tests I am of the current opinion that a 2 GG bullet will have a excellent chance of performing well. 

With respect to not filling all the GG's of bullets, while it may prove that lesser amounts will not cause "leading", I'm not sure that it will prove to add to the accuracy of that bullet, in otherwords a bullet made especially made for less lube would be structurally more sound. In the past when I was making bullet moulds, my designs where round bottom grease grooves, .030 wide x .012 deep for 32 cal with 5 GG's, this design is identical to Jim's 5 groove bullet. If I where to make moulds again, I beleive I'd reduce the depth of the GG's even more, to .005 perhaps and 2 or 3 GG's, ideally no grease grooves I think would be best. 8)

The MV's for Jims 32 Miller are very consistant in every way, single digit ES's and SD's., some of the best I've ever seen regardless whether cast bullet or jacketed. His uniformity is equally well at the downrange screens. 

More test work is needed to suggest any conclusive results, so far this year I've noticed some unexpected trends with cast bullets, but until I complete my testing I prefer to remain mute, lest I sound like a total moroon. ??? Its not that I have secrets, just want to make sure of the facts and not create new myths.

Regards,

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2004 at 1:03pm by »  

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Jul 18th, 2004 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Barry,
  SNOW!! Must be the liquid variety as the weather reports for your area show lots of that.

Thanks for clearing up what you think would be minimum lube on the bullet. It's going to be interesting seeing what I come up with tomorrow.

I agree with you that a mould should be made with the number of grease grooves you want, but this could run into a lot of money with no certainty of results. A problem you didn't mention, but I'm sure you're thinking about, is that reducing the number of grooves filled will lube will lead to a collapse of the bullet in these areas. Off the top of my head, couldn't you adjust the temper? Basically this is what we do to keep the nose from collapsing. With this idea in mind I thought I'd lube up some more bullets using 1-20, & 1-25 as well as the 1-30 I was planning on. It's not gonna be a very extensive test since I'll only have about 3 hours before I'll get kicked off the range, and I'd like to do the whole thing under as similar conditions as I can. So it'll be just a 5 shot group of each alloy with 4 lube grooves filled and a group with all filled. Clean the gun between alloys, and chronograph everything.

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #22 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 12:42pm
Print Post  
  Ok! Here's what I came up with on the testing today. Was windy enuf to get the flags standing straight out at times so had to wait for the conditions, so the groups migth not really be indicative of what could have been done.

Test gun, of course, was the .32/40 Schoyen-Ballard with a 1-16" twist. Bullet was a taper bump swaged Barnett clone weighing 205 grs. with 6 grease grooves. Powder charge was 14.2 grs. of 4227. SPG lube. Rem. 2 1/2 primers. Breech seated 1/32" ahead of the case which engraves the bullet about 1/3rd into the base band. Three alloys were tested..... 1-20, 1-25, & 1-30. Two 5 shot groups were fired with each alloy...... one group with 4 grooves filled with lube, and the other with all grooves filled. All groups measured center to center of widest shots. All shots were chronographed. After each group was fired the gun was cleaned and one fouler shot fired before starting the next group. Here's what I came up with.

1-20 with 4 grooves lubed. Group = 13/16"
MV = 1405.2
SD = 9.4
ES = 25.5

1-20 with all grooves lubed. Group = 5/8"
MV = 1403.2
SD = 5.4
ES = 12.8

1-25 with 4 grooves lubed. Group = 5/8"
MV = 1402.6
SD = 12.8
ES = 30-9

1-25 with all grooves lubed. Group = 3/4"
MV = 1407.9
SD = 5.7
ES = 14.3

1-30 with 4 grooves lubed. Group = 11/16"
MV = 1402.3
SD = 4.7
ES = 12.2

1-30 with  all grooves lubed. Group = 7/8"
MV = 1400.0
SD = 9.4
ES = 23.7

Since this was a pretty small sample probably nothing conclusive can be taken other than the MV's were fairly steady thru-out the whole test, and the gun seems to like 1-25 best, which has been the case in all previous work.
  Not being a statistician maybe someone else can pull something else out of this. would like to hear about it if you do.

PETE

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #23 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 3:43pm
Print Post  
Pete;
From your tests, I would say that not only are you a pretty fair hand with the rifle, the rifle and loads are pretty darn good, also.

Charlie Dell has a statistician friend that tells him that he needs to fire thirty shots of any one combination before he really knows anything. In other words, thirty shots is about the minimum that will give meaningful data. You can shoot more but thirty shots will do for the "likes of us" Smiley. Now that you have the trends established, if you were my employee, I would have you run the same test again, but do thirty shots of each combination...

One thing that I found interesting, as related by Charlie, it doesn't seem to matter much whether you fire the thirty shots in six five shot groups or three ten shot groups. From a statistical standpoint, the results are essentially the same.

Ducking for cover,
Yours truly, Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 4:03pm
Print Post  
Dale53,

If you knew me better, and as my friends will tell you, I'm never satisfied with what I get out of any rifle. Just gets to the point where I get tired of foolin' with it and move on to something else.

You and the guy I bought the Schoyen from seem to think that what I get with it are ok, and he claims it's as good as he ever got from it. Well, I think it can do better! Thus the other question about "Another Powder".

I'll agree, and I'm sure we'll hear the same from Brent, that more shots are really needed to gather enuf data to make an analysis meaningful. I think the data I put up pretty well proves that! But, things could be so close in any event that nothing can be proven other than either way would be ok.

Tomorrow I want to settle the question of whether 1-25 is the best alloy, and then we'll see how it goes. Will you give me a little slack and say another 10 rds. of each would be enuf??  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #25 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 4:09pm
Print Post  

Dale, you are right about Pete being a "fairly" good shot.  But a number of us are offering to help him get even better with a little custom crown work done with a rat-tailed file.  Strangely, he has not taken us up on that.   

About the 30 shots per group, I would agree that it a bare minimum.  BUT, while reading Roberts book last night, I noticed he was discussing how old timers (old for that era), wanted 50-100 shot groups to determine differences.   

From what Pete posted, he has a range of 4/16" from his largest to his smallest groups, plus, he has two different variables (lube and alloy).  That is next to nothing and even 30-shot groups will not show much of anything.  Indeed, I would wager that there is no difference in the different alloys and lube configurations even if he had used 50 shots per group.   

You might note that there are not even any trends (the 4 vs all grooves lubed had the two smaller targets for the "all grooves" and one smaller target for the 4 groove treatment.  Alloy was similarly not in an orderly progression of accuracy from hardest to softest.  There are other things to look at, but the bottom line is that there is no chance that there is any effect of either alloy or number of lube grooves filled.  This is not a bad test, but simply a result where there is either truly no difference with regards to these issues or the difference is so small (like really really small), that huge numbers of shots are going to be needed to parse them out. 

As for shooting 30 shots into one target or three or four or whatever, there is one potentially large difference.  If you shoot fewer shots per target you can see each shot and measure each one.  Using these shots as I've discussed earlier on the "Mysterious SD" thread, you would have more power to determine what is actually going on.  I am doubtful that the statistical power would be enough to show a difference in these loads, but it would be better than just measuring one group spread for 30 bullets.  In effect, when you do this, you are gaining information from only two shots out of the entire 30 and ditching the information contained in the other 28 shots.   

Brent

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #26 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 4:17pm
Print Post  
Brent;
I have read and do not disagree...

And it is STILL pretty dern good shootin' Grin

Dale53

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Jul 19th, 2004 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Brent,

You and Dale are to kind. I don't really consider myself a good bench shooter, and I'm not even sure what I'm doing now will hold up at 200 yds. At that range there is a lot more to a good score than a good load! You know we have several guys at the club who can show me how it's done.
  But what's with all this help with customizing my guns anyway? Even our gunsmith wants to help out!  Smiley Gettin' to the point I'll have to carry my gun downrange when I change targets just so you guys don't do me a favor.

One thing you reminded me of in a private email was that I forgot to mention that except for groups 2 & 5 above the rest showed a definite trend toward putting one or two shots in one group and the other 3 or 4 in another Otherwise, if bunched together, they would have been smaller. Personally I'm thinking that this was either caused by me not reading the conditions right, or just the normal distribution of the group. I tend toward the first.

The reason for the three alloys was because I was trying to kill two birds with one stone. Probably not the best way to do an experiment. I figure after I re-do the 1-25 & 1-30 tomorrow to convince myself that the 1-25 is the best, for about the 4th or 5th time  Smiley. I was figuring maybe Wednesday I would take 20 rds., plus foulers, & shoot four 5 shot groups. Two with 4 grooves lubed and two with all grooves filled.

PETE

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #28 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 11:51am
Print Post  
This is, indeed, a very interesting & informative thread. The discussion about sample sizes etc is similar to another discussion re set triggers vs accuracy that's happening now on Rick Shay's BPCR forum. Very interesting discussions about testing methods, sample sizes, trends, group sizes etc etc.

I ain't no statistician or even a good mathematician, I quit studying calculus after 5th semester Differential Equations at the State Cow & Chicken School. But I did absorb one or two things about some of it.

First, one group (or one of anything else, for that matter) isn't enough to predict anything. Even three of something isn't really enough data to reliably indicate much other than a (barely) possible trend.

Second, in my mind the trend is the important thing. If a trend can be identified and then quantified, future results can be reliably forecast. Sure, occasional aberrations will appear but then they can be ID'd as aberrations outside of the established trend line, and their relative importance can be better evaluated.

If we have only one or two samples of something, how can we know that these aren't anything more than chance aberrations instead of reliable repeatable data? Answer, we can't! That's why I don't carry around any 'braggin' groups' in my wallet, they don't mean nuthin without knowin' the (Paul Harvey) Rest Of The Story.

Reminds me of a very enthusiastic silhouette shooter of my acquaintance, who has been on the cusp of making Master for some time now but just can't seem to get over the hump. I believe it's because he chases his spotter, IOW he's using too small a sample from which to predict his trend. He will always correct his sighting to compensate for the previous shot, regardless of how it correlates to anything before that. He is assuming (there's that word again) that his previous shot was a perfect cartridge that was fired in a perfect manner under absolutely identical conditions and so naturally if he missed then his sighting needed adjustment.

Well, sometimes that just ain't so. Sometimes a single sample is indeed an aberration, and a second or third sample is needed to show the true direction of the trend. I believe my friend would do better in the long run if he would fire a second or even a third shot with the same sighting before deciding to change, instead of chasing his last shot all over the place. A lotta Highpower shooters have discovered this over the years, but my friend just can't resist anyway.

Same with accuracy testing. To assume a single sample is conclusive or even very indicative is often the grossest folly. Folks end up chasing their tails without ever establishing any sort of reliable repeatable trendable data, and they never are able to figure out what happened except that they KNOW they coulda woulda shoulda done better.

So I think we need to pay attention to Brent when he tells us how many samples we need.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Jul 20th, 2004 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
MP,

You're right! The "Holy Grail" is ten in one hole. Can't say as I've ever done that tho.  ???

Not sure tho why you'd sized a bullet .0005" under groove size. Surprising that the .320" size didn't shoot.

Ok. Next report. I've posted the targets on a web page so those interested can follow along.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Don't think I've ever seen a day quite as good as it was today. Absolutely a dead calm. The info wrote on the targets should be self explanatory. Two things I wanted to point out here.

First..... Note the MV for target #2. Considering all, and I mean all, targets shot with that combo have been between 1400 and 1408 fps. why the drop? Nothing wrong with the accuracy, or the SD/ES's. Just kind of curious as to the why.

Second.... Target #3 looks like the worst, but actually would have been a lot better but the mirage started coming up. This is to show, or try to explain, how a boiling mirage affects the group.  Conditions were such that the target was in shade but the sun was starting to heat the ground up, so in the calm conditions a very slight boil was forming. The bottom two shots (yes there are two in that hole) were the first. The 3rd shot was the one in the middle. Should have caught it then but the mirage was very faint, and even tho the scope is slightly out of focus, to be able to see this, it didn't show up very well. Plus putting two shots in one hole got me kinda excited!  Smiley The 4th shot was one of the two top shots and woke me up. I figured since I'd blown the group anyway, I'd try and get the same mirage boil as I remembered the last shot had..... Put the last shot right in with the 4th.

This is a good example of why I will shoot the mirage when either it's dead calm, or almost, or when the wind is blowing so erratically across the range there's no way you can shoot the flags.

Hope you find the target as interesting as I did.

PETE

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint