Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Rifle Weight ?? (Read 19623 times)
RANGER_RICK
Ex Member

Re: Rifle Weight ??
Reply #15 - Jul 12th, 2004 at 9:16pm
Print Post  

Looks like a CPA would be the way to go due to I would like to have an extra barrel in another cal and it Seems like a lot of satisified people have bought there . CPA must be doing a good job . 

Mr Boats 
I would love to go and look at some fine rifles at CPA but living in Alaska would make a long trip . I take it that your rifle looks like the one on their ( cpa ) opening page ?? That is the schuetzen rifle that I want ordered .Does that big knot on the butt interfere with bench rest type shooting ?? I know completely nothing about schuetzen type shooting .  At  Ft.Richardson rifle range here in Anchorage Alaska they ( not sure who ) have started a schuetzen match , they begain some time last year and it's something I would like to get into . I currently shoot BPCR .
Thanks again all for your time and thoughts .

Richard

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 13th, 2004 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Rick,

Alaska is a long way and you are not likely to try one out first.  I would ask CPA if they have ever sold a rifle in Alaska.
I was working in Australia when I ordered my 2nd Rifle, And Yes it's the one with the High Cheek piece in the CPA Ad.

Paul was able to give me the names of some serrious Schuetzen Shooters in South Australia he had sold rifles to and one that had a high cheekpiece "Pope Model" I have shown my rifle to several people that were intrested in buying one. Most people would be glad to show you the rifle. 

As far as shooting that particular rifle off the bench. It's real hard in fact almost impossable to do. While I say bench is not important to me I did give bench shooting with that rifle a good try.  I thought I could shoot it free recoil without touching the buttstock sucessfully. In .22 lr you can but with the 32/40 barrel recoil even as light as it is makes the gun twist off the bags when the cheekpiece hits your face. This of course makes shots string wild. 

What I have hit upon in case I need good sight settings or am testing loads is a very high front rest.  I had  Protektor, maker of my front rest make a 2nd cradle with a screw about 12 inches long.  Then I rest the barrel on it just in front of the forearm.  I put two pillow bags on the bench for my elbows and hold the rifle to my cheek and arm just in the buttplate hook on my arm above my bicep just like I am shooting offhand.  "Muzzle and Elbow rest"  That's the way the old shooters held offhand rifles when bench shooting. There are other "work arounds" but all require some bolt on additon to the rifle.

Using that method in a match I shot 10 shots for group that were 3 1/2 inches high and 4 inches wide at 200 yards.  I think extreme spread was about 4 1/8 inches.  Knowing how these rifles shoot when set up for bench rest I would say that's not near potental and not close enough to win any match. I would guess potential group size under match conditons is about 1 moa. 

If bench is in your plans and you want traditonal style I would go for the Stevens 52 stock. It has a more moderate hook plate and the cheekpiece is not pronounced like the Pope model. Mike Stegen Sales in Arizonia sells single shot books and last time I looked had repo's of the old Stevens Catalogs. I would get one for sure before ordering a rifle long distance.

Boats

IP Logged

longhunter79
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 3:11pm
Print Post  
Ranger,

Are you in the Military up in Alaska.  Spent a little time there.  Also went Bear hunting on the Back side of Eilson(sp).  There use to be a Gun shop  in Fairbanks that the owner was a Single shot fan, he might be able to help you out with a look at the CPA rifle.

I have a CPA and would recomend the 52 style stock.  It will work off the bench and  with a hooked but plate does a fine job offhand.  I started with the Pope stye  stock and found it hard to shoot.  Go with the #3 bbl 32/40 and you will really enjoy the sport.  I shoot only offhand and with Iron sights The CPA in the above configuration ballances and shoot better than I can.

Good Luck.
Jon

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #18 - Jul 14th, 2004 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
Another option would be to get the Pope, or 52 style gun, and have CPA fit a second buttstock to it, without the high cheekpiece, and schuetzen buttplate. That would make it more versatile, depending on what you planned to shoot. It would probably be best to go with the loop lever on either gun, as the Pope lever wouldn't lend itself well to benchrest.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

RANGER_RICK
Ex Member

Reply #19 - Jul 16th, 2004 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
Thanks for all the good information on the CPA -model's and weights , it was helpful . Have not put the cash down as of yet , soon though , do not want to burn a hole in the pocket !!!!!!!! If any of you that posted have a picture of a CPA Schuetzen I would like to see it if it is not a bother .

Thanks again.

RR

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint