Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) lowall actions (Read 19654 times)
ken_hurst
Ex Member

lowall actions
Jun 23rd, 2004 at 1:41pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, just wanted to make an announcement & get feedback re. a project I've thought about.  I have bought four lowall actions recently.  I am planning on hand polishing same to a 600 grit finish. All actions will be perfect inside parts wise.  My intent is to engrave each action in a banknote scroll design and leave in the white. The coverage will be about 65% to 75%. As these actions will be in the white, the buyer can either blue, color case or plate. He can also have it stocked to suit his taste.

The big Question ; Grin

Do y'all think there would be a market for these actions ??  If it works out I will continue to offer same service on other actions as they come available. All opinions appreciated Smiley

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Re: lowall actions
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Ken, 
The devil is in the details and the details include, most importantly, price, followed by firing pin style and triggers.   

I don't know what you think a market needs to be, but I would think you could sell a fair number of these if the price was within reach - the problem is it that for many of us, just a bare action, with mediocre wood and probably needing a rebarrel or reline, plus sights is stretching many pocket books as it is.   

Price isn't everything of course, but it's not small potatos either.   

Brent

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply Brent.  In responce to your thoughts,  the actions I have all have a standard trigger and three are rimfire. None of these actions came with bbl's. or stocks. One action is a leaf spring and the other three are coil spring. Two actions are Winder actions and I will be having the four holes on right side tig welded up with low carbon wrie , hand polished down so it won't be visiable once blued/cased. I have yet to do the engraving so I won't know the total cost presently but feel they will be about $800. to $1000. This price includes the action, restoration, hand polishing and engraving. The action won't have a finish on it but I can forward it out for that work if requested.   

Okay, hope this answers some questions but am sure more might pop up and look forward to them.  Thanks again,   Ken

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 3:12pm
Print Post  
Ken,
  I think there should be quite a market for such actions. If it was set up for a pistol grip and had a set trigger I'd be interested.

But as Brent says..... price is important! What kind of price are you thinking of for your actions, and what exactly do you have?

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 3:18pm
Print Post  
Ken,
  See you answered my questions while I was writing my reply.  Smiley  In any event there should be some demand for those looking for them, altho I'd be looking for the pistol grip and set triggers.

PETE

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
I will be sending a set of Ben Rice dbl set triggers from my lowall to Steve Earle to program from, he is going to make them.  I am also having the pistol grips bent to the original Win. spec's.     Ken

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 5:44pm
Print Post  
Ken,
If you have pistol-grip, double set trigger, low wall actions engraved and in the white at $800 or so, that would be interesting indeed.   

I have a large-shank 'wall barrel in .25-20 waiting for a low wall action to show itself.  Fortunately, I haven't seen one.  I say "fortunate" because I don't have the clams at the moment.

Brent

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
Brent,   I can't see furnishing a new dbl set trigger with a new bent  tang, fly and hammer modifacation and a hand polished action for $800.   Back in the 80's , Ben Rice charged about $300. for his dbl set triggers.  I believe Steve Earle will have to get at least that much for the ones he will make.  That will leave a bal. of only $500. to cover the cost of the action and the restoration not to mention engraving.  Guess I might be barking up the wrong tree. Guess I'll just finish them up and sell them at a gun show. Ah well   Undecided  , another failed idea.    Ken

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Ken,
  Well, you don't want to get in to big a hurry to give up on the idea. You're giving us bits and pieces on what you have and shoot us a price, and then come back with what you are willing to do to make the actions more sellable. I don't think if you would take straight grip Low Walls and have them modified to pistol grip and DST's that anyone was thinking that we could get them for the $800 you originally threw out.

Also, I'm not sure you wouldn't have to change the levers if you would have DST's put in, since single trigger Low Walls aren't long enuf. What about SST's? No external modification to the gun would be necessary, and the necessary parts would be a lot easier to make.

And of course..... What would you be asking for them? No one will commit themselves to your action unless they have some reasonable idea of it. I might be able to see my way clear to the CF action in either a DST or SST.

PETE

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I see what y'all mean about bits & pieces.   Steve Earle said he would do a close coupled SST after the dbl set.  I think he has an original one to copy up where he lives.  The lever was something I didn't think of .... thanks.  Guess I will have to give this much more thought and quit jumping the gun. Think I'll just do as I said and complete them and run a time study on each. I will figure into the price the cost for a close couple or dbl. set after Steve makes them.  Bending the lever doesn't take much doing after I make a fixture for bending them all the same radius.  More to come after I get a good handle on things. Thanks for setting me straight, I knew I could count on you guys Smiley   Ken

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Jun 23rd, 2004 at 10:17pm
Print Post  
Ken, methinks that this action project might work if a Steve Earle (or other) copy of the SST might be incorporated in the mix.  This requires, as you know, modifying the trigger shoe itself with a screw and spring and the addition of the little auxillary sear.  Also the hammer must be slit for and fitted with a fly (not a problem on the Winders as it is already there.)  Lever remains unchanged, original tang is used (or bent and used) and the finished product is the basis for a good solid shooter as well as a piece of art.  If somebody wants DSTs fitted, that would probably end up adding at least $300-$400 to the project, but if that's what they want... Grin
BTW, I think I know where there might be a fourth low-wall wanting to get into this project.  8)
the Green Frog

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 6:32am
Print Post  
Mr. Frog:
Don't forget the slot in the main sear for the fly.

IP Logged

Brent
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 7:55am
Print Post  
For those interested in double sets - wide style - Ballard will fit them on an action for about $150 as I recall.  You can get lever from them or one from CPA.  The CPA lever will need polishing and coloring.  Been there, done that.

Brent

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 10:18am
Print Post  
Brent,
  Personally I would rather have it all done for me like Ken is wanting to do. I'd probably even have him send it out to get it case colored. The days of me wanting to do half the work just doesn't appeal to me anymore. As you say Brent..... been there done that!  Smiley

Ken,
  Let us know what you finally come up with. Like I said.... I'd be interested in the CF action!

PETE

IP Logged

ken_hurst
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 24th, 2004 at 12:32pm
Print Post  
Pete,  I just talked to my g'smith partner and he is making a fixture to bend tangs to prigional shape.  He tells me he would charge $30. for the service.  He has made a fixture that has small studs that fit into the holes for screw heads which prevents them from closing up when bent. The shape of the fixture prevents any lateral/sideways movement of the tang so it will be truly straight laterally.  Now Mr. Pete.  The C.F. lowall was a rim fire and comes with a rim fire extracter AND a rimless extracter. The firing pin is bushed but has no pin and isn't drilled for a pin yet as there isn't any bbl. on the action.  If you want to ask more questions, why not give me a call at 252-795-6670 EST.  The ph. is at my bench so it will be no problem.   Ken

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint