Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) A Neat Trick (Read 21110 times)
Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

A Neat Trick
May 22nd, 2004 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
I went to visit an elderly gunsmith friend today with a problem.  ??? I had a receiver shell that had been squeezed (probably in a vise while removing a barrel) and needed to spread it back out.  I was considering making a wedge, a tiny little jack, and several other methods, but he said to take a short (or shortened) fine thread bolt and matching nut, polish the ends and simply unscrew the nut inside the receiver opening until it was spread to the necessary width.  So simple, so cheap, and it worked in about 15 minutes including sawing off the bolt and polishing everything.  I hope somebody else can benefit from this tip sometime too!   Smiley

the Green Frog

IP Logged

singleshot
Senior Forum Member

I love singleshots!

Re: A Neat Trick
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2004 at 9:57pm
Print Post  
Well, Frogger, that IS a tiny little jack Roll Eyes

Willis Gregory, aka singleshot

IP Logged

Long_Rifle_101
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 2:26pm
Print Post  
Hello Green Frog, What was the reciever and what size bolt did you use ?  Thanks Long Rifle

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #3 - Jun 4th, 2004 at 3:39pm
Print Post  
The shell was a little smooth side low-wall receiver and I believe it was a 5/16" machine screw and nut I used.  FWIW, fine thread is better than coarse, of course.  Smiley

HTH, the Green Frog  Grin

IP Logged

ron
Oldtimer

Reply #4 - Nov 8th, 2019 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
How much did you have to  spring it back?

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
ron wrote on Nov 8th, 2019 at 5:15pm:
How much did you have to  spring it back?

You did notice that this thread is 15 years old didn't you?  I don't know the exact amount I had to "un-collapse" the receiver shell, but it was enough that a breech block wouldn't begin to enter it.  I would guess about ten to fifteen thou, at least if not more.  The point is (or should I say was) the overall effect was that the shell was pressed in enough to be unusable but was easily pushed back out with no heat and no special tooling... with very satisfactory results.  Yes, that low wall receiver subsequently got used. 

Froggie

IP Logged

OLD TUCK
Senior Forum Member

Reply #6 - Nov 10th, 2019 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Hey Frog that is exactly the way I fixed a Hi Wall action that I collapsed removing a Barrel. When I discovered what I had done I spoke a lot of those strange words regarding my heritage. Then thought about it for awhile. I came up with the same procedure. Took a little effort and patience but I got it
where a original Breech block would slide in and fit as though it had never been messed up. As a result of this experience I also made up a set of shims for both Hi Wall and Sharps Borchardt receivers. These are the two actions I do the most work on by choice. Have not yet needed to straighten a Borchardt or another Hi Wall. Got real careful after that. All it takes is a hard look at the design of Single Shot receivers and you can see that all the strength is in Recoil front to back. Almost any Clamping over the Flat side will collapse the action into a Trapezoid shape. And by the way folks, some have posted ("Just put the Breech block into the Receiver for support") That will not always work, first the bottom of the Block is not a tight fit and the Side walls of the Block are empty at the bottom and will  collapse, so now you have two pieces to fix. Solid shims are the best. I use mine in conjuction with Gage Blocks for a tight support fit from top to bottom. Also keep the Lower Tang in the receiver for just a little added support. Regards FITZ. OLD TUCK Smiley

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #7 - Nov 11th, 2019 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Hey Fitz, 
For probably one of the only times in my life I can honestly say “it wasn’t my fault!”  Cheesy I bought that receiver shell stripped at one of the first OGCA shows I went too... it was cheap, and I guess the seller knew what he had, but fortunately for me it was an easy save.   

After 15 years I can’t remember whether it was Frank Miles or Charlie Dell who turned me on to that trick, but I recently stumbled on a pair of wedges that Charlie and I made for a similar task.  By comparison, the “screw jack” works a lot more easily.  Smiley

Froggie

PS  Be sure and put the last Friday and Saturday of June on your calendar for a little Southern Schuetzen.  Didn’t DW move back up there?  If yes, bring him along!  Cool

IP Logged

RoyB
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
I'm totally impressed that Green Frog has been monitoring this thread for near 16 years!...... Grin

Roy B
Dartmouth, MA
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
IP Logged

rgchristensen
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2020 at 7:34pm
Print Post  
   Once a FROG gets his teeth into something........

CHRIS

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #10 - Jan 30th, 2020 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Not monitoring... saw an interesting title pop up as current and thought, "Wow, there is something I need to know about."  When you have Old Timer's Disease like me, everything you learn is new, even if you already knew it before!  Roll Eyes

Froggie

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #11 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 12:30pm
Print Post  
This trick is also a great way to prevent action damage, in the first place. One trued and polished bolt and nut, usually fits most actions. Simple to make and use.
Otto

IP Logged

JerryH
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Member #10876

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 12:38am
Print Post  
I used this trick tonight on a new to me project. The breechblock was just a little snug on this HW. It didn't take much to get the breechblock moving freely.

Thanks Green_Frog

JerryH

I'm not a complete idiot, some of my parts are missing.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 1:13pm
Print Post  
Well, I guess this qualifies as an old trick!  Note that the thread started about 16 years ago and both of the gunsmiths mentioned are now passed on.  It was fortuitous that Ron was curious enough to ask me a question about it 6 months ago and cause the thread to resurface.  Cool

Froggie

IP Logged

SchwartzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Nov 3rd, 2020 at 5:09am
Print Post  
Green_Frog wrote on Jan 30th, 2020 at 6:34pm:
Not monitoring... saw an interesting title pop up as current and thought, "Wow, there is something I need to know about."  When you have Old Timer's Disease like me, everything you learn is new, even if you already knew it before!  Roll Eyes

Froggie

Old timer's disease, scientifically known as CRS (can't remember shit)...

SS

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

RBKenn

Reply #15 - Aug 16th, 2022 at 6:20am
Print Post  
and just a friendly reminder, always replace the trigger guard in a rolling block receiver PRIOR to removing the barrel.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint