Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What is your favorite Rifle & Why? (Read 21806 times)
SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

What is your favorite Rifle & Why?
Apr 18th, 2004 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Come on we need to get something going after all Josh's work!

What you all shoot? 

Me I Shoot all CPA Stevens, now own three at last count and am lucky enough to own one Stevens Pope Sporting Rifle in 28-30 that has an interesting story behind it.

Can we talk loads here or is that not a good thing?

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: What is your favorite Rifle & Why?
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Remminton 511 - because I was raised on it - Dad bought it new for $15 or $20 when he was a kid.  Full sized, ACCURATE.

Favorite SINGLE SHOT rifle - for shooting: one of several Ruger #1 or #3 - great looks, workmanship, accuracy; - for histerical reasons: Werndl original (1873ish) .43 bore sleeved & marked .45-70.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
My favorite rifle is one I am getting to shoot at any given time!  My PREFERRED rifle is probably the high-wall because that is what gave me my earliest single shot inspiration and indoctrination, but I even enjoy a Stevens if that happens to be what I am shooting at the moment (but don't tell leadball!  Grin )

Green Frog

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
My Favorite rifle?

That would be the 1885 Winchester, and most iterations.  My current partner, a 32-40 with a number 5 barrel, that is giving me fits trying to get the most out of it.  Another year and I should have it dialed in!

I read all I could about the different actions before I started the "collection" and decided upon what I perceived to be the strongest.  When I read that Remington and others used the 1885 Winchester actions for their proof barrels that convinced me that the 'Wall was my choice.  (Now, Cloudy Day, that's another story.  She seems to like Ballards.)

We have more than a handfull to rearrange in the safe and only have good loads worked up for about half of them.  So it appears I have enough built in excuses for at least two more summers.

Corky

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
This is a tough one because a lot has to do with what's been done to them. One of the things I like is for the butt stock to have a thru bolt installed like the Ballards. But Ballards are not really noted for their strength. High Walls and 44 1/2's are good but their stock "lock-up" leaves a lot to be desired. So to improve these two guns I've had installed a thru bolt in a Low Wall and a 44 1/2. That makes either about ideal in my estimation.

Ballards have about the best DST's going and they seem to fit most people. I'm not overwhelmed with them!

As for discussing loads I'd think that would best be discussed on "Loading the SS Rifle". Wouldn't mind talking about working up loads for the .28/30 with both black and smokeless.

PETE

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Pete who did the through bolt on your Stevens?

IP Logged

bjd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Pete,
How did you put in the through bolts?  Did you do this yourself or did you hire out?   

At what caliber to you think a through bolt is really necessary?  A .22 lr?  Or maybe anything less than a .32-40 is okay w/o?

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Schuetzen,
My local SS gunsmith with some help from me. He did the work, I gave him moral support!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 9:21am
Print Post  
bjd,
Boy! You must have posted that between the time I read and answered Schuetzen's message.

Putting in the thru bolts is not particularly hard with either the Stevens or Low Wall. Of course you need the hole thru the stock. The hard part is making the cross piece between the top and bottom tang. We set up offset pieces that used existing holes. Some of the stock has to be cut away.

Please don't do this with an original gun!! I had it done on basically basket cases that had to have a LOT of other work done to them.

The gunsmith who did the work is our local SS gunsmith. Can't remember if I paid him for the job or not.

When should you use a thru bolt?.... Actually anytime you can put the gun in a vice and by twisting on the butt stock you can see it move. Unless a previous owner was very careful you can move just about any SS stock set up like the Winchester SS's and Stevens. Of course you can always buy you a new stock blank.

What cal. should you start using a thru bolt at?...... Probably not a .22 RF, unless it's loose as mentioned above. My Low Wall has had a .25 Hornet, .25/20SS on it over the years, and currently has a .22 Hornet barrel back on it for some experiments this Summer using swaged 60 gr. Spitzers.  The 44 1/2 originally had a .32/40 barrel, a .25/20SS was added and currently has a .28/30. so you can see that, as far as I'm concerned, if you want to install one caliber shouldn't be a consideration.

If you will think about how a gun flexes under recoil you can imagine how the point at which the butt stock joins the frame, that this is where the gun will flex if things aren't attached solidly. As things flex in this area the screws work loose and the amount of flex will change. You tighten the screws back up and the amount of flex will change.

You want to set your gun up so that it recoils as straight back as possible in relation to the target. If the stock flexes, and flexes differently for each shot, you can see that it's going to affect the impact point on the target at 200 yds. Even 100 yds. could put you out of the 25 ring if the gun is barely capable of holding that size.

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Can't say that I have any favorite single shot rifle that I would call my favorite. Over the years I've pretty much shot them all, so I tend to think of single shots in two ways, the easiest to shoot and the most aesthetically appealing. Sometimes they can be one in the same. If I could have but one single shot for both shooting and to admire, I'd choose a Zischang Borchardt with his trademark paneled action, stock and barrel work, Geo. Schoyen Ballard coming in a close second. If it could only be a factory made rifle, it would be any of the Ballard offhand rifles, with Stevens 44.5 Model 52 Schuetzen jr. rifle, coming in a close second, dispite their workmanship quality.

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Pete so true about flex and loose screws! If I do not keep a carefull watch on the tang screws on my CPA. when my start to come loose my rifle will start throwing shots all over the target! This has cost me more than one match for sure. Good bedding and tight screws good scores if I do my part.

IP Logged

kmedins
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 8:04am
Print Post  
38/55 heartburn by remington is my favorite right now. I call it that because the sharps guy,s get that when they see one. The second is the forruner of the highwall. the 75 sharps, a hw with a side hammer. For a 22rf i love the ballard gallery rifle. Mine has finaley come home from england. It was shiped with a bunch of martines to numrich arms and road home with me. It,s shoot,s shorts and i will not rechamber it. It came with a beache,s front and a lyman tang sight. I got a few more a little less favorites but not by much.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 10:25am
Print Post  
kmedins,

Good! NEVER re-chamber a .22 Short to Long Rifle. The rifling twist on the older Short rifles is different than the LR's because of the difference in bullet wgts. used. You'd probably be very disappointed in the accuracy afterwards.

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Right now my favorite is a Borchardt with double set triggers.
It has a through bolt, Fast lock time, and is one of the strongest actions on the planet. Tha Zischang style stock fits me well for offhand.
40 Rod

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
40 Rod WOW SOUNDS NICE !! I WANT ONE !!

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 9:28am
Print Post  
It looks great and the triggers are sweet  but the barrel gave me fits and I had to wait 10 Years to get it from the only man who was making them at the time. Next time I'll go to Al Storey. I may live to see the gun that way.
40 Rod

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
40 Rod,
Jack Dever in Oklahoma City made some very nice Zischang Borchardt conversions years ago, including real sweet double set triggers and paneled sides. I barreled a couple of his actions and they were a joy to shoot. Borchardts are without a doubt the most difficult action (original) to convert since almost every action part needs to be remade or reworked, suchas the firing pin, breechblock face, lever, cam plates and timing, but when done correctly its a hard action to beat. Had the opportunity to shoot several original Zischangs, one in particular was actually quite comfortable and accurate to shoot from benchrest. Lock time is great and no heavy hammer slamming into the breechblock to disturb the sight alignment. Had rebuilt a few myself but never made double sets. Its quite easy to make an adjustable sear engagement for them though.

Just an old stoolshooter Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Let's see; would it be the Winchester or the Remington or the Stevens or the Sharps? Like someone said, whichever one I am shooting at the moment. While I enjoy the competition, it really is just a way to enjoy shooting these rifles from bygone days. When I have shot them as long as some of you gentlemen I may decide on a favorite also. However, being a romanticist, I tend to look at each type and think of the part it played in history (both of the nation and shooting) and remembering that it represents the technology of the day, just shoot it for what it is. Having said all that, probably the last one to go would have a hammer on the side even if that left me out of the running in a match.

Don

(Oops, I forgot to mention the Snider)

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Yep, this is a tough one, it's like asking who was your favorite girlfriend in highschool! Well, as for the guns it is the one in my hands at the time. I am going to shoot my stevens 44.5 this weekend at thurmont for the first time, So it will be my favorite tomorrow! I am pretty fond of the old Sharps I am trying to restore. I think it is safe to say, I don't have a favorite, I have a bunch. But if I did, it would be a singleshot. Although I do have a soft spot for my old Merwin hulbert .38 revolver as well, but that would be a different message board. Jon

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
I'm as fickle as a woman! I started out with a love affair with Ballards, then it went to Stevens, and now it's all over the place! (as long as it's a single shot!)
Just picked up my latest love, a Winchester 1885 Low Wall Schuetzen, chambered for .22 short, and fortunately not rechambered. Hope to get it to the range soon, and see how she shoots!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:08pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 7:58am
Print Post  
A Peregrine because it is the most accurate of the rifles I own. I did my own stocking job and as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Roll Eyes
mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Marlinguy, that low-wall looks very suspect to me...probably quite dangerous to your health.  What you need to do is wrap it very carefully and send it to me at... oh yeah, that probably won't work on this board, huh?  Embarrassed

Seriously, congratulations on a great find.  I can't tell from the picture though, what trigger it has?  Also, what about the front sight?  Details man, I'm dying for details!  Wink

It appears that the small Swiss buttplate on yours is unplated brass, or is that just the light?  If it IS unplated, that's only the second one of those I have ever seen.  The figure on the buttstock wood is pretty awesome too.  All in all, you have obviously acquired a very special rifle.  Enjoy!

Your Phriend the 'Phibian

PS  BTW, does this mean that some Ballards will be coming on the market to make room for a new passion that begins with  "W" and ends with -wall?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Hi Froggy,
The trigger is a standard single trigger, which upon disassembly has been modified to an adjustable sear inside. This is the only mod, and since it's internal, I can live with that.
The buttplate is a nickel plated, but with most of the nickel worn off. Front sight is a Lyman with gold bead, as is the rear tang sight. The sight blank is one of the fancy ones that is double pointed. The wood is really lovely, with tons of figure, typical of these high grade Winchesters. The receiver is the heavy thick side, as used on some Win. single shots. The barrel is a #1, but this gun was sent from the factory with a #2, in 1902, and then rebarreled at the factory with the #1 in 1911. Had the features verified by Cody, (via email) and it all letters correctly.
I was pretty lucky to find this gun, and even luckier to get it. The seller eluded myself, and everyone else interested for the entire first day of the gun show, and when I returned the second day, I was sure it would be gone. Imagine my surprise when I went straight to his table, and not only was the gun there, but I finally caught the seller. When I struck the deal, he mentioned his surprise that it had not sold the day before. I thought about telling him to stick around his table, but I was so excited I just took my toy and left the show!
About the Ballards...I seem to have found a corner in the safe for the Low Wall, without having to push any Ballards out. I did have to sell one of my other LW's to make the space, but it was pretty rough by comparison!
Found room for this sweetheart too, purchased at the same show. I'm so broke, I need to borrow lunch money, but then you can't take it with you, right?
Stevens #47, with single trigger, nickel buttplate, Pope lever, Stevens vernier tang sight, and Lyman 7a front sight. 28" half octagon, .32-40 barrel.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:11pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #23 - May 13th, 2004 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Hello marlinguy,

Nice looking 1885 low-wall Smiley (BTW... it is actually a "Special Sporting Rifle" versus a Schuetzen).

The Winnie 1885 single-shot is my favorite by a long shot (pun intended Grin). My most recent acquisition (last week) is a 100% factory original early high-wall (38K serial range) chambered/marked CAL 40-70 BALLARD. I got it from a fellow who has had it for the past 30 years. I can hardly wait to work up some BP equivalent loads to she how she shoots Cheesy

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Hi,
A couple of years ago I did a projact around a discarded Remington 30 cal. tactical barrel. Its owner wanted a 6mmppc.He is a cast shooter like I am and I had seen the rifle shoot several sub moa groups with cast. A local gunsmith screwed the barrel into a 310 martini and put a tight 30-30 wesson chamber in it. I stocked it. Weight is 7.5# with a Burris 4-12 compact scope. The Wesson is driving the same bullets at about the same velocities the previous owner used with better results. I have several targets with 20 shots under 1 moa. I want to learn to shoot this rifle off hand. My second favorite even though I have half a closet of single shots, Ruger#1, Martinis, Highwalls, a low wall, #4 reminfton, stevens 14, and a new pedersoli sharps target. Number 2 is my manlicher stocked 350 Remington mag. 600 carbine.The king of noise and recoil.
Thanks for indulging me.
Tom

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #25 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Early Savage 219! 

1. Stock thru bolt.
2. Inline striker system.
3. Classic lines (think express rifle).
4. Undiscovered.
5. Responds well to gunsmithing. Internal stamped parts, (sear, trigger) can be remade (machined) and polished to look like the inside of a fine watch! 
6.Trigger pull is not bad, but a different, and much better design is used on the 220A shotgun and it is easily adaptable.
7. Pot metal safety button can be remade out of steel.
8. A krag trigger guard can be reworked and silver soldered in place.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Any of the Martini's I'm shooting - whether it be a military rifle, a sporter, or the sweet little set-trigger francotte...  Reasons?  Some are objective like the fast locktime, strong action, stockbolt (and let's add affordable too... ) I'm cheap!).
Of course, there is also the subjective aspect - I LOVE hammerless rifles of simple design, and this has to be one of the simplest.  If I were to go to a US-made rifle, I would second ole7groove and go for a Zischang Borchardt, but unfortunately my pockets aren't deep enough for those  Undecided
Of course, any of the Brit-made single shots will also cause some spontaneous drooling (like Frasers, Fields, Farqs,-  you name it!), but they would need either be striker-fired, have an inside hammer - maybe a lightweight external one, that could work too.  Certainly no sidehammer designs for me though!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I thought a lot about it.  The Ballard with the Eric Johnson barrel is certainly in the running, as is the original High Wall .32-40 with a #4 barrel and 12 X Unertl that my wife gave me as a college graduation present.  But after all is said & done, the all-time favourites are a pair of Winder muskets. They are the common Low Walls in military garb, with the ugly rear sight and 4 awful holes drilled in the right side of the receiver and a big "US" stamp and flaming bomb on the upper tang.  Ours have military slings, but one has a spare short stock for the smaller shooters. You don't have to spend nights at teh loading bench.  Just get the brick of shorts out of the map cabinet.

Our pair of family Winders have been on a hundred or so family camp-outs, leaned up against a lot of trees, & shot holes in 10,000 tin cans.  We use them for our family rifle matches every summer, my kids learned to shoot with them and now I'm starting to teach my grandchildren, plus a new daughter-in-law from one of those furrin countries. She plays golf and secretly thinks we're a bunch of barbarians.  Winders are a great deal of fun (plus a real challenge) to shoot at 200 yards, and they are so quiet that the PC types never notice it.  I wish they were .22 Long Rifles, because it is so hard to find decent .22 short ammo, but that problem can be solved.   
All it takes is money.

Richard

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Richard;
I can appreciate your fondness for the Winder Musket. I have a nice one (last issue) and I too wish it was chambered in .22 L.R.

I must admit, tho', that it shoots VERY well in good conditions outdoors. Ammo is always a problem. It's not always available and always a bit pricy.

Dale53

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
My favorite is a cut down trapdoor rebarrelled in 38-55 followed by a Hopkins and Allen 22lr and 16 switch barrel, H & A carbine in 32 wcf, and a Remington #2 IN 25-20 ss. I would love to have an original 44.5 in 32-40. One of these days!!!!!!!! moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Shooter
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 6:27pm
Print Post  
I love my rollers, trapdoor, and Ruger #1s, but, I would have to say my Contenders and Encores because I can drag them through the woods and not worry about scratching them or reducing the collector value.
Best,
Mike
Central Va.

IP Logged

Ray_Newman
Senior Forum Member

Reply #31 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 4:31pm
Print Post  
Quote The Green Frog: "My favorite rifle is one I am getting to shoot at any given time! "

Yup....l

If have more than 1 rifle, ea. one is unique & you value each for that.

ASSRA Life #194
YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #32 - Jan 3rd, 2006 at 10:56pm
Print Post  
Ray;
Well said.

Dale53

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

ASSRA Life #281

Reply #33 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 9:56am
Print Post  
Let me add that at times, my favorite rifle seems to be the one I am trying to buy/find/get at that moment.  Like a schoolboy with a crush on the homecoming queen, it seems like that rifle becomes the center of the universe until I have it and the next "pretty face" comes along.  I'm not fickle, of course, it's just that my tastes change!  Roll Eyes   

That's my latest story and I'm sticking to it...until I change my mind!  Grin

Froggie

IP Logged

rafter-7
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jan 4th, 2006 at 3:14pm
Print Post  
Grin  I am a sucker for a .22 rimfire with a nice butt set trigger and some hand cut checkering!!! Shocked as song as it has style and grace!

this one makes my knees week every time i look at it , hold it  and shoot it. Strativarious violin??? not quite but it also makes sweet music to my ears!!!

No. 7 remington rolling block lift tang beeches front and .22 lr

rafter-7

IP Logged

JDSteele
Ex Member

Reply #35 - Jan 5th, 2006 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Ray, you gotta remember what Ken Hurst said about The Frog:

".......and then he rushed off in four different directions at once."

But he sure has the right idea about favorites.
Highest regards, Joe

PS: or on second thought was that what Froggie said about Ken?............hmmm.....

IP Logged

cam0063
Ex Member

Reply #36 - Jan 8th, 2006 at 8:11pm
Print Post  
With a couple of single shot rifle projects at the smiths and not in my greedy hungry fingers to head the list. The rifle that grabs me every time I open the gun safe, is a .243 Mannlicher Schoenauer fullwood carbine. All the Schoenauers are a beautiful rifles to me... Once I have my martini .22k hornet customised some more and the other 2 single shot BPCR's finished, the order is bound to change. But at the end of the day everything in the safe is a favourite from time to time, even an old custom win '94 that rides in the ute [pickip]I use for pigs... It's all fun.

Cam...

IP Logged

dick_eesley

Reply #37 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
green frog  better quit fooling around and get a ballard  you can't beat that caming action

IP Logged

Schutzenbob
Frequent Elocutionist

Rheinisch-Westfälisc
hen Sprengstoff-Fabriken

Reply #38 - Jan 9th, 2006 at 7:50pm
Print Post  
As to my favorite rifle, I agree with Green Frog, only I would add that “only accurate rifles are interesting.” The rifles I like are the ones that will hold their own in competition, either center fire at 200 yards, 22 Long Rifle at 100 yds. or a gallery rifle at 75 ft. Although Ballard rifles are “A1 Special” and Stevens rifles are “Ideal”, I find that my true “favorite” is the Winchester highwall and sometimes lowwall. Both of these fine actions are easy to operate, easy to load and extremely strong, I would also add that they are very forgiving. To borrow from Will Rogers “I’ve never met a Winchester Single Shot I didn’t like.”

Bob 

IP Logged

Sharpsman
Ex Member

Reply #39 - Jan 24th, 2006 at 12:51am
Print Post  
Well...I own 9 of the darn things but....I don't think I've got my favorite yet! It's being made....by Steve Meacham! Grin Grin

IP Logged

vigillinus
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jan 30th, 2006 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
High Wall.  Strongest of all the classics, good looking, AND (which noone has mentioned altho very important) almost complete interchangeability of parts.  Needs a through stock bolt though, which is not too difficult to install.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint