Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What is your favorite Rifle & Why? (Read 21805 times)
40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Re: What is your favorite Rifle & Why?
Reply #15 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 9:28am
Print Post  
It looks great and the triggers are sweet  but the barrel gave me fits and I had to wait 10 Years to get it from the only man who was making them at the time. Next time I'll go to Al Storey. I may live to see the gun that way.
40 Rod

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 21st, 2004 at 12:36pm
Print Post  
40 Rod,
Jack Dever in Oklahoma City made some very nice Zischang Borchardt conversions years ago, including real sweet double set triggers and paneled sides. I barreled a couple of his actions and they were a joy to shoot. Borchardts are without a doubt the most difficult action (original) to convert since almost every action part needs to be remade or reworked, suchas the firing pin, breechblock face, lever, cam plates and timing, but when done correctly its a hard action to beat. Had the opportunity to shoot several original Zischangs, one in particular was actually quite comfortable and accurate to shoot from benchrest. Lock time is great and no heavy hammer slamming into the breechblock to disturb the sight alignment. Had rebuilt a few myself but never made double sets. Its quite easy to make an adjustable sear engagement for them though.

Just an old stoolshooter Roll Eyes

IP Logged

DonH
Ex Member

Reply #17 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 6:29am
Print Post  
Let's see; would it be the Winchester or the Remington or the Stevens or the Sharps? Like someone said, whichever one I am shooting at the moment. While I enjoy the competition, it really is just a way to enjoy shooting these rifles from bygone days. When I have shot them as long as some of you gentlemen I may decide on a favorite also. However, being a romanticist, I tend to look at each type and think of the part it played in history (both of the nation and shooting) and remembering that it represents the technology of the day, just shoot it for what it is. Having said all that, probably the last one to go would have a hammer on the side even if that left me out of the running in a match.

Don

(Oops, I forgot to mention the Snider)

IP Logged

MerwinBray
Oldtimer

Aw Gees

Reply #18 - Apr 22nd, 2004 at 7:02am
Print Post  
Yep, this is a tough one, it's like asking who was your favorite girlfriend in highschool! Well, as for the guns it is the one in my hands at the time. I am going to shoot my stevens 44.5 this weekend at thurmont for the first time, So it will be my favorite tomorrow! I am pretty fond of the old Sharps I am trying to restore. I think it is safe to say, I don't have a favorite, I have a bunch. But if I did, it would be a singleshot. Although I do have a soft spot for my old Merwin hulbert .38 revolver as well, but that would be a different message board. Jon

Great Plains Precision Rifle Club

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #19 - Apr 26th, 2004 at 10:54pm
Print Post  
I'm as fickle as a woman! I started out with a love affair with Ballards, then it went to Stevens, and now it's all over the place! (as long as it's a single shot!)
Just picked up my latest love, a Winchester 1885 Low Wall Schuetzen, chambered for .22 short, and fortunately not rechambered. Hope to get it to the range soon, and see how she shoots!
(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:08pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #20 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 7:58am
Print Post  
A Peregrine because it is the most accurate of the rifles I own. I did my own stocking job and as they say beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Roll Eyes
mes

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #21 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 10:09am
Print Post  
Marlinguy, that low-wall looks very suspect to me...probably quite dangerous to your health.  What you need to do is wrap it very carefully and send it to me at... oh yeah, that probably won't work on this board, huh?  Embarrassed

Seriously, congratulations on a great find.  I can't tell from the picture though, what trigger it has?  Also, what about the front sight?  Details man, I'm dying for details!  Wink

It appears that the small Swiss buttplate on yours is unplated brass, or is that just the light?  If it IS unplated, that's only the second one of those I have ever seen.  The figure on the buttstock wood is pretty awesome too.  All in all, you have obviously acquired a very special rifle.  Enjoy!

Your Phriend the 'Phibian

PS  BTW, does this mean that some Ballards will be coming on the market to make room for a new passion that begins with  "W" and ends with -wall?   Roll Eyes

IP Logged

marlinguy
Ex Member

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #22 - Apr 29th, 2004 at 8:40pm
Print Post  
Hi Froggy,
The trigger is a standard single trigger, which upon disassembly has been modified to an adjustable sear inside. This is the only mod, and since it's internal, I can live with that.
The buttplate is a nickel plated, but with most of the nickel worn off. Front sight is a Lyman with gold bead, as is the rear tang sight. The sight blank is one of the fancy ones that is double pointed. The wood is really lovely, with tons of figure, typical of these high grade Winchesters. The receiver is the heavy thick side, as used on some Win. single shots. The barrel is a #1, but this gun was sent from the factory with a #2, in 1902, and then rebarreled at the factory with the #1 in 1911. Had the features verified by Cody, (via email) and it all letters correctly.
I was pretty lucky to find this gun, and even luckier to get it. The seller eluded myself, and everyone else interested for the entire first day of the gun show, and when I returned the second day, I was sure it would be gone. Imagine my surprise when I went straight to his table, and not only was the gun there, but I finally caught the seller. When I struck the deal, he mentioned his surprise that it had not sold the day before. I thought about telling him to stick around his table, but I was so excited I just took my toy and left the show!
About the Ballards...I seem to have found a corner in the safe for the Low Wall, without having to push any Ballards out. I did have to sell one of my other LW's to make the space, but it was pretty rough by comparison!
Found room for this sweetheart too, purchased at the same show. I'm so broke, I need to borrow lunch money, but then you can't take it with you, right?
Stevens #47, with single trigger, nickel buttplate, Pope lever, Stevens vernier tang sight, and Lyman 7a front sight. 28" half octagon, .32-40 barrel.
« Last Edit: Dec 31st, 2005 at 6:11pm by marlinguy »  

IP Logged

Bert_H.

Reply #23 - May 13th, 2004 at 1:02am
Print Post  
Hello marlinguy,

Nice looking 1885 low-wall Smiley (BTW... it is actually a "Special Sporting Rifle" versus a Schuetzen).

The Winnie 1885 single-shot is my favorite by a long shot (pun intended Grin). My most recent acquisition (last week) is a 100% factory original early high-wall (38K serial range) chambered/marked CAL 40-70 BALLARD. I got it from a fellow who has had it for the past 30 years. I can hardly wait to work up some BP equivalent loads to she how she shoots Cheesy

Real Men own and shoot a WINCHESTER Single Shot!

IP Logged

screwloose
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 9:47am
Print Post  
Hi,
A couple of years ago I did a projact around a discarded Remington 30 cal. tactical barrel. Its owner wanted a 6mmppc.He is a cast shooter like I am and I had seen the rifle shoot several sub moa groups with cast. A local gunsmith screwed the barrel into a 310 martini and put a tight 30-30 wesson chamber in it. I stocked it. Weight is 7.5# with a Burris 4-12 compact scope. The Wesson is driving the same bullets at about the same velocities the previous owner used with better results. I have several targets with 20 shots under 1 moa. I want to learn to shoot this rifle off hand. My second favorite even though I have half a closet of single shots, Ruger#1, Martinis, Highwalls, a low wall, #4 reminfton, stevens 14, and a new pedersoli sharps target. Number 2 is my manlicher stocked 350 Remington mag. 600 carbine.The king of noise and recoil.
Thanks for indulging me.
Tom

IP Logged

gwahir
Senior Forum Member

Ve gets too soon olt und
too late shmart.

Reply #25 - Dec 31st, 2005 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Early Savage 219! 

1. Stock thru bolt.
2. Inline striker system.
3. Classic lines (think express rifle).
4. Undiscovered.
5. Responds well to gunsmithing. Internal stamped parts, (sear, trigger) can be remade (machined) and polished to look like the inside of a fine watch! 
6.Trigger pull is not bad, but a different, and much better design is used on the 220A shotgun and it is easily adaptable.
7. Pot metal safety button can be remade out of steel.
8. A krag trigger guard can be reworked and silver soldered in place.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Ex Member

Reply #26 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 4:41am
Print Post  
Any of the Martini's I'm shooting - whether it be a military rifle, a sporter, or the sweet little set-trigger francotte...  Reasons?  Some are objective like the fast locktime, strong action, stockbolt (and let's add affordable too... ) I'm cheap!).
Of course, there is also the subjective aspect - I LOVE hammerless rifles of simple design, and this has to be one of the simplest.  If I were to go to a US-made rifle, I would second ole7groove and go for a Zischang Borchardt, but unfortunately my pockets aren't deep enough for those  Undecided
Of course, any of the Brit-made single shots will also cause some spontaneous drooling (like Frasers, Fields, Farqs,-  you name it!), but they would need either be striker-fired, have an inside hammer - maybe a lightweight external one, that could work too.  Certainly no sidehammer designs for me though!

IP Logged

waterman
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #27 - Jan 1st, 2006 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I thought a lot about it.  The Ballard with the Eric Johnson barrel is certainly in the running, as is the original High Wall .32-40 with a #4 barrel and 12 X Unertl that my wife gave me as a college graduation present.  But after all is said & done, the all-time favourites are a pair of Winder muskets. They are the common Low Walls in military garb, with the ugly rear sight and 4 awful holes drilled in the right side of the receiver and a big "US" stamp and flaming bomb on the upper tang.  Ours have military slings, but one has a spare short stock for the smaller shooters. You don't have to spend nights at teh loading bench.  Just get the brick of shorts out of the map cabinet.

Our pair of family Winders have been on a hundred or so family camp-outs, leaned up against a lot of trees, & shot holes in 10,000 tin cans.  We use them for our family rifle matches every summer, my kids learned to shoot with them and now I'm starting to teach my grandchildren, plus a new daughter-in-law from one of those furrin countries. She plays golf and secretly thinks we're a bunch of barbarians.  Winders are a great deal of fun (plus a real challenge) to shoot at 200 yards, and they are so quiet that the PC types never notice it.  I wish they were .22 Long Rifles, because it is so hard to find decent .22 short ammo, but that problem can be solved.   
All it takes is money.

Richard

IP Logged

Dale53
Oldtimer

Reply #28 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 12:15am
Print Post  
Richard;
I can appreciate your fondness for the Winder Musket. I have a nice one (last issue) and I too wish it was chambered in .22 L.R.

I must admit, tho', that it shoots VERY well in good conditions outdoors. Ammo is always a problem. It's not always available and always a bit pricy.

Dale53

IP Logged

moodyholler
Oldtimer

Reply #29 - Jan 2nd, 2006 at 1:19pm
Print Post  
My favorite is a cut down trapdoor rebarrelled in 38-55 followed by a Hopkins and Allen 22lr and 16 switch barrel, H & A carbine in 32 wcf, and a Remington #2 IN 25-20 ss. I would love to have an original 44.5 in 32-40. One of these days!!!!!!!! moodyholler

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint