Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) What is your favorite Rifle & Why? (Read 21804 times)
SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

What is your favorite Rifle & Why?
Apr 18th, 2004 at 7:15pm
Print Post  
Come on we need to get something going after all Josh's work!

What you all shoot? 

Me I Shoot all CPA Stevens, now own three at last count and am lucky enough to own one Stevens Pope Sporting Rifle in 28-30 that has an interesting story behind it.

Can we talk loads here or is that not a good thing?

IP Logged

Cat_Whisperer
Frequent Elocutionist

No 1, 9.3x74R

Re: What is your favorite Rifle & Why?
Reply #1 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Remminton 511 - because I was raised on it - Dad bought it new for $15 or $20 when he was a kid.  Full sized, ACCURATE.

Favorite SINGLE SHOT rifle - for shooting: one of several Ruger #1 or #3 - great looks, workmanship, accuracy; - for histerical reasons: Werndl original (1873ish) .43 bore sleeved & marked .45-70.

Cat Whisperer (trk)
Chief of Smoke
Pulaski Coehorn Works and Skunk Works
Drafted May 1970, Retired Maj. U.S.Army
assra #9885
IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
My favorite rifle is one I am getting to shoot at any given time!  My PREFERRED rifle is probably the high-wall because that is what gave me my earliest single shot inspiration and indoctrination, but I even enjoy a Stevens if that happens to be what I am shooting at the moment (but don't tell leadball!  Grin )

Green Frog

IP Logged

Corky

Reply #3 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 9:53pm
Print Post  
My Favorite rifle?

That would be the 1885 Winchester, and most iterations.  My current partner, a 32-40 with a number 5 barrel, that is giving me fits trying to get the most out of it.  Another year and I should have it dialed in!

I read all I could about the different actions before I started the "collection" and decided upon what I perceived to be the strongest.  When I read that Remington and others used the 1885 Winchester actions for their proof barrels that convinced me that the 'Wall was my choice.  (Now, Cloudy Day, that's another story.  She seems to like Ballards.)

We have more than a handfull to rearrange in the safe and only have good loads worked up for about half of them.  So it appears I have enough built in excuses for at least two more summers.

Corky

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Apr 18th, 2004 at 10:49pm
Print Post  
This is a tough one because a lot has to do with what's been done to them. One of the things I like is for the butt stock to have a thru bolt installed like the Ballards. But Ballards are not really noted for their strength. High Walls and 44 1/2's are good but their stock "lock-up" leaves a lot to be desired. So to improve these two guns I've had installed a thru bolt in a Low Wall and a 44 1/2. That makes either about ideal in my estimation.

Ballards have about the best DST's going and they seem to fit most people. I'm not overwhelmed with them!

As for discussing loads I'd think that would best be discussed on "Loading the SS Rifle". Wouldn't mind talking about working up loads for the .28/30 with both black and smokeless.

PETE

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 8:42am
Print Post  
Pete who did the through bolt on your Stevens?

IP Logged

bjd
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Pete,
How did you put in the through bolts?  Did you do this yourself or did you hire out?   

At what caliber to you think a through bolt is really necessary?  A .22 lr?  Or maybe anything less than a .32-40 is okay w/o?

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 8:53am
Print Post  
Schuetzen,
My local SS gunsmith with some help from me. He did the work, I gave him moral support!  Smiley

PETE

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 9:21am
Print Post  
bjd,
Boy! You must have posted that between the time I read and answered Schuetzen's message.

Putting in the thru bolts is not particularly hard with either the Stevens or Low Wall. Of course you need the hole thru the stock. The hard part is making the cross piece between the top and bottom tang. We set up offset pieces that used existing holes. Some of the stock has to be cut away.

Please don't do this with an original gun!! I had it done on basically basket cases that had to have a LOT of other work done to them.

The gunsmith who did the work is our local SS gunsmith. Can't remember if I paid him for the job or not.

When should you use a thru bolt?.... Actually anytime you can put the gun in a vice and by twisting on the butt stock you can see it move. Unless a previous owner was very careful you can move just about any SS stock set up like the Winchester SS's and Stevens. Of course you can always buy you a new stock blank.

What cal. should you start using a thru bolt at?...... Probably not a .22 RF, unless it's loose as mentioned above. My Low Wall has had a .25 Hornet, .25/20SS on it over the years, and currently has a .22 Hornet barrel back on it for some experiments this Summer using swaged 60 gr. Spitzers.  The 44 1/2 originally had a .32/40 barrel, a .25/20SS was added and currently has a .28/30. so you can see that, as far as I'm concerned, if you want to install one caliber shouldn't be a consideration.

If you will think about how a gun flexes under recoil you can imagine how the point at which the butt stock joins the frame, that this is where the gun will flex if things aren't attached solidly. As things flex in this area the screws work loose and the amount of flex will change. You tighten the screws back up and the amount of flex will change.

You want to set your gun up so that it recoils as straight back as possible in relation to the target. If the stock flexes, and flexes differently for each shot, you can see that it's going to affect the impact point on the target at 200 yds. Even 100 yds. could put you out of the 25 ring if the gun is barely capable of holding that size.

PETE

IP Logged

ole7groove
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
Can't say that I have any favorite single shot rifle that I would call my favorite. Over the years I've pretty much shot them all, so I tend to think of single shots in two ways, the easiest to shoot and the most aesthetically appealing. Sometimes they can be one in the same. If I could have but one single shot for both shooting and to admire, I'd choose a Zischang Borchardt with his trademark paneled action, stock and barrel work, Geo. Schoyen Ballard coming in a close second. If it could only be a factory made rifle, it would be any of the Ballard offhand rifles, with Stevens 44.5 Model 52 Schuetzen jr. rifle, coming in a close second, dispite their workmanship quality.

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Apr 19th, 2004 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
Pete so true about flex and loose screws! If I do not keep a carefull watch on the tang screws on my CPA. when my start to come loose my rifle will start throwing shots all over the target! This has cost me more than one match for sure. Good bedding and tight screws good scores if I do my part.

IP Logged

kmedins
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 8:04am
Print Post  
38/55 heartburn by remington is my favorite right now. I call it that because the sharps guy,s get that when they see one. The second is the forruner of the highwall. the 75 sharps, a hw with a side hammer. For a 22rf i love the ballard gallery rifle. Mine has finaley come home from england. It was shiped with a bunch of martines to numrich arms and road home with me. It,s shoot,s shorts and i will not rechamber it. It came with a beache,s front and a lyman tang sight. I got a few more a little less favorites but not by much.

IP Logged

PETE
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 10:25am
Print Post  
kmedins,

Good! NEVER re-chamber a .22 Short to Long Rifle. The rifling twist on the older Short rifles is different than the LR's because of the difference in bullet wgts. used. You'd probably be very disappointed in the accuracy afterwards.

PETE

IP Logged

40_Rod
Frequent Elocutionist

Extremism in the persuit
of accuracy is not a
vice

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 6:54pm
Print Post  
Right now my favorite is a Borchardt with double set triggers.
It has a through bolt, Fast lock time, and is one of the strongest actions on the planet. Tha Zischang style stock fits me well for offhand.
40 Rod

IP Logged

SCHUETZEN
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2004 at 7:16pm
Print Post  
40 Rod WOW SOUNDS NICE !! I WANT ONE !!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint