Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Winchester forend insert (Read 613 times)
steel-pounder

Winchester forend insert
Sep 15th, 2024 at 10:52am
Print Post  
is there a cutter bit for roughing the cavity of a winchester forend or is it all done by hand?

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Winchester forend insert
Reply #1 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 11:18am
Print Post  
Are you referring to the barrel channel?  There was a thread recently about some shop made cutters for making an octagonal channel.  I did one with a straight end mill in my small Grizzly mill to cut the top and bottom flats followed by a 45 degree router bit. Mostly trial and error. Lots of sanding using an old barrel with different grits attached.   I have used a 1” router bit for round barrels.  For a flat spring channel a 1/2” end mill works.  I am not a good wood worker so hopefully others will share how it should be done. 

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Chuckster
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 12:15pm
Print Post  
My technique is very similar to what Jack described.
For tapered barrels, cut for the small end and scrape out for the big end.
Saves a lot of chisel work.
Chuck

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 12:33pm
Print Post  
I do this mostly like Jack.  For a tapered octagon forearm done in the mill, I find the center of where I want the barrel.  Using an appropriate end mill I open up the channel so the front will drop over the barrel when positioned around 1 1/2 inches in front of its finished position on the barrel.  I use a depth of 60% or more of the side flat.  I then open up to the width of the bottom flat keeping it centered.  Then using the 45 router bit clean up the angled flat by simply match to the side and bottom flat corners.  Set the roughed out forearm on the barrel with the front down and work the back down until the wood bottom flat contacts the barrel bottom flat.  Then work the entire forearm back to the action and fit it to the action face.  I do the same with a round barrel but just use a router bit to rough the channel out so the front fits the barrel.

Some ask why I inlet the wood forward of the action and then work it back. Why not just straight down at the action?  By working it back I can usually correct any gaps or inconsistencies in my inlet by taking advantage of the taper.  This is especially helpful along the top edge. Leaving the woof an inch or so long is also beneficial in the final fitting.

The last thing I do is lower the top of the forearm to half or less of the barrel side flat, giving me the profile I’m looking for.

This can be done with a router or on a router table.  I’ve done it but it’s lots easier in a mill.

I’ve also inlet a 44 inch swamped barrel by hand, so doing this by hand is also possible and not really that hard, just takes time.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #4 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
I do pretty much the same thing everyone else has described.

I make custom cutters for octagon barrels.  Simple mild steel cutters that I don’t even bother to harden or sharpen in most cases.  They burn up wood like crazy if you use speeds like a router, but cut just fine at 800 rpm in the milling machine.  It saves a lot of work with chisels, and makes it easier to maintain the shape as you open up a tapered barrel channel.

The 6 flute style on the right in the picture cuts cleaner, but takes longer to make.  The 3 flute one does ok too and is faster to make.

People get all wrapped around the axles about making cutters and heat treating them.  No need to overthink it.  If you are shaping wood in the mill, even a dead soft mild steel cutter works fine.  The second picture has a two flute aluminum cutter that I made to cut a countersink in a piece of Hickory and a piece of Katalox.  If aluminum can cut Katalox and Hickory in the mill, mild steel shouldn’t have a problem.

IP Logged

Jeff_Schultz
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #5 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
All very informative, but I think the OP is asking about the ebony inlay in the forend tip.

"We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo

“There is no situation so bad that it cannot be made worse."

Confidence- The feeling you get before you fully understand the situation.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
Jeff_Schultz wrote on Sep 15th, 2024 at 5:19pm:
All very informative, but I think the OP is asking about the ebony inlay in the forend tip.

I thought the same when I first saw the post Jeff, and it may be, but reading the post again it seems he is wanting what we are all advising.
Bob

Robert Warren

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #7 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 10:55pm
Print Post  
sorry and thank you for the replies. 

Quote:
Jeff_Schultz wrote Today at 5:19pm:

I was how ever asking about the ebony insert in the tip of the forend. 

for my barrel channel I wrote a simple program for a cnc machine. used a 1/2 flat end mill to do the bottom of the channel and both sides cutting half the barrel taper for each side and the bottom. then went back with a 45 degree tapered end mill to do the angled flats on either side of the bottom. spent an hour writing the program and three minutes to cut the channel.

IP Logged

bobw
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #8 - Sep 15th, 2024 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
steel-pounder wrote on Sep 15th, 2024 at 10:55pm:
sorry and thank you for the replies. 

Quote:
Jeff_Schultz wrote Today at 5:19pm:

I was how ever asking about the ebony insert in the tip of the forend. 

for my barrel channel I wrote a simple program for a cnc machine. used a 1/2 flat end mill to do the bottom of the channel and both sides cutting half the barrel taper for each side and the bottom. then went back with a 45 degree tapered end mill to do the angled flats on either side of the bottom. spent an hour writing the program and three minutes to cut the channel.

Ya….that way works too! Cheesy

Robert Warren

IP Logged

Grand slam
Senior Forum Member

Reply #9 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 8:58am
Print Post  
The slot for the ebony insert is a dovetail. I can’t recall but I think I used an 11 degree cutter and made two cuts, each cut angled to the centerline of the forend. I’m making a steel insert from mine right now. Check out my .22 target rifle build (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)
Cheers Richard u

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #10 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 9:19am
Print Post  
Inlay = old normal...

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #11 - Sep 16th, 2024 at 11:05am
Print Post  
I've only done the inlay once and I used a small drill bit to do the end of the vee shape, and then my jeweler's saw to cut the rest of the vee. Then just chisels to gradually remove the wood inside the vee, and files to get the final fitting.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #12 - Sep 17th, 2024 at 9:03am
Print Post  
thank you all. 

So then it seems then the consensus is to rough the opening for the insert into the forend with a dovetail cutter, then slightly round the bottom and fit the insert using hand tools and scrapers.

IP Logged

westerner
Frequent Elocutionist

deleted posts and threads
record holder.

Reply #13 - Sep 17th, 2024 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Chisels gouges and files.

A blind squirrel runs into a tree every once in a while.

IP Logged

steel-pounder

Reply #14 - Sep 17th, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
westerner wrote on Sep 17th, 2024 at 10:25am:
Chisels gouges and files.

thank you westerner. 

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint