Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Gunsmith to Restore Swinburn's Patent Martini? (Read 579 times)
Remington40x

Gunsmith to Restore Swinburn's Patent Martini?
Aug 5th, 2024 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
After more than seven years, the gunsmith I hired in 2017 to restore a Swinburn's Patent Martini has informed me that he is returning the rifle and my deposit and not charging me for any of the work he did on the rifle. For that reason, I will not name him, seeing that despite the delay he's done all he can to make me whole. And no, I won't name him in a private message, either.

So, at age 71 I'm back to square one. I don't know what remains to be done on the rifle (I've asked for a list when it's returned), but I would like to get it back to functional order before I depart for that great range in the hereafter.

I realize these are not particularly common anywhere and even rarer here in the U.S. Can anyone recommend someone who might be familiar enough with late 19th century British sporting rifles that he (or she) might undertake to complete the work on mine and put it back into service?

Thank you.

Rem

YIMAIM  
IP Logged

curdog

Re: Gunsmith to Restore Swinburn's Patent Martini?
Reply #1 - Aug 5th, 2024 at 9:59pm
Print Post  
A dear friend (who, sadly, has already left us for the great range) brought one of those things by one time.
It was such a delightful little rifle, that we just had to take it to pieces. I have never had so much difficulty reassembling something in my entire life - and that includes a lot of contraptions the English gun makers devised.
The best advise we found on the interwebs, we really should have read before we embarked. "First thing, don't take it apart".
Eventually, the stars aligned, and a unicorn horn was procured to pry everything in to position, and it worked again.

That's what I know about Swinburn's Martinis.

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Aug 6th, 2024 at 6:21am
Print Post  
You just need to know how it works, and pau attention to the order of (dis)assembly, not too hard actually. The v-spring powering the hammer can be a but tricky if the action is out of adjustment. 
Otherwise,  it is a martini.

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Aug 6th, 2024 at 8:12am
Print Post  
try john king  kill mt  he my take on the challenge  or not  king machine

IP Logged

art_ruggiero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Aug 6th, 2024 at 8:15am
Print Post  
try john king   king machine   kill mt   he may take the challenge   or not   art

IP Logged

John Taylor
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Aug 6th, 2024 at 8:24am
Print Post  
Sounds like a fun project. I would like to look at it and see what I can do.
I thought John King had retired, been a long time since I have had any contact with him.

John Taylor   Machinist/gunsmith
IP Logged

50target

Reply #6 - Aug 6th, 2024 at 2:13pm
Print Post  
+1 for John Taylor. John has completed two jobs for me over several years. I have had no issues with time, cost or quality. Unfortunately I've had experiences like the OP. Disappointing both as a smith and a person. As a gunsmith John's work speaks well of him. The information he shares here speaks well of him as a person. No I have no affiliation with John other than a happy customer.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint