Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wickliffe 76 kit (Read 580 times)
Piglet 545

Wickliffe 76 kit
Jul 10th, 2024 at 10:41pm
Print Post  
I recently bought a Wickliffe 76 action kit, I'm wondering about if it needs heat treated ? what about the breech block? anyone know who can turn a stock out for it? plan on contacting show me gun stocks for another stock soon. figured I'd see if they have a pattern for them. thanks for any information

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Wickliffe 76 kit
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 12:41am
Print Post  
Frame casting definitely needs heat treated; some of the blocks were hardened, need to check it to be sure.  These are pretty easy to complete if it's a leftover from the company going out of business.  The castings that Tom Ondrus did later to sell with his stock of internal parts will take a bit more work, but still quite doable.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 10:39am
Print Post  
As ssdave implied, there were several different paths by which that Wycliffe action kit may have reached you.  Does the receiver shell appear to be finished, or is it still a rough casting?  If the latter, you can be assured it probably needs hardening.

Of course another question is what caliber will your rifle be chambered for?  The bigger and more powerful the cartridge the more critical the hardness becomes.

If you’ll spend some time doing a site search here you will find several older threads discussing (and cussing) the various iterations of the Wycliffe. 

Froggie

IP Logged

Piglet 545

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the replies guys. The casting is definitely still rough. Where/who should I send this to to be heat treated?  I'd thought about a heavy barrel 22-250 ackley.  Not 100% maybe a 6mm remington. Any idea what the castings are cast from? Guessing a guy wants to machine/polish before heat treating. Thanks again guys

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #4 - Jul 11th, 2024 at 10:58pm
Print Post  
A lot of castings such as Hi Wall 74 Sharps and many others are usually 8620 steel. Some are 4140 but usually 8620. It casts well and is easily machined and polishes well to normally take a case harden process. It is hi alloy low carbon so it will color well. Hope this helps...

JMH

IP Logged

Piglet 545

Reply #5 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:46pm
Print Post  
Looking at the internal parts there's a little bit of rust on them. Thinking a soak in wd-40 rust remover won't hurt. Maybe a longer term soak in kerosene would help too. Gonna be a lot of polising need done to get this thing right. I read some where alot of the factory guns the actions the factory bluing turned a purplish redish color. Is this due to the alloy?

IP Logged

Piglet 545

Reply #6 - Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:48pm
Print Post  
Is color case hardening exceptable for the action for hardening or does it need a certain kind of heat treatment?  Anyone know a reliable place to send this thing to have the heat treatment done?

IP Logged

ssdave
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 13th, 2024 at 12:45am
Print Post  
Piglet 545 wrote on Jul 12th, 2024 at 10:48pm:
Is color case hardening exceptable for the action for hardening or does it need a certain kind of heat treatment?  Anyone know a reliable place to send this thing to have the heat treatment done? 

That is a massive action, in my opinion, case hardening is adequate.  I'd send it to Allen Springer at Snowy Mountain Blue, (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

Or if you don't want colors but still want it hardened, send it to Blanchards:  (You need to Login or Register to view media files and links); They may not do single items, they may charge a minimum for a batch of 10.

Alan does exceptional color case, and if you were to call him, he's probably done Wickliffe's before and can give you advice.  Blanchards do a lot of mausers and such that will be blued.  They use carbon monoxide hardening, which applies no colors.

Do all your final fitting and sanding and polishing before you send it off to be hardened.  I'd finish with wet/dry sandpaper to 400 grit.   

The fact that you say the internal parts are rusty implies that they weren't finished.  All that I have seen that came from the factory leftovers were finished and blued.  Tom Ondrus did have some less finished parts from the factory leftovers, and I know he had some parts made, but he became incapacitated and passed away before he really got production on his own underway.  His girlfriend liquidated the remainder of his stuff, as it was in progress, after his death so some of the unfinished stuff was put out there.  I know another individual bought a lot of the inventory and maybe the intellectual property (such as it was, maybe the receiver molds and some cnc templates) and tried to get pre-orders to make rifles, but I eventually saw their stuff liquidated, to yet another gunsmith who welded tangs on the actions and sold them as kits on gunbroker.  The bottom line is the rifle was too expensive to make, and the only ones that were ever economic were those that utilized the factory leftover parts that were bought at a hefty discount and assembled by individuals.   

This is in no way to take away from the rifle; it is a good, strong action that takes away much of the weaknesses of the Stevens 44 1/2 and  the CPA copy of it, and makes an exceptionally strong rifle.  The only thing to change is get rid of the awful, ugly, superfluous safety.

IP Logged

Piglet 545

Reply #8 - Jul 15th, 2024 at 5:36am
Print Post  
Thanks for the reply.  Snowy mountain does do some nice looking work from the pictures they show. When I get that Far I'll give him a call first.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint