Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Nickel Plated Brass (Read 391 times)
SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Nickel Plated Brass
Jul 7th, 2024 at 7:14am
Print Post  
I really like the look of shiney, clean nickel plated brass but I have ruined two sizer dies (45-70 and 308) using it. Although I try to tumble casings prior to sizing it does not always happen. I am not sure what, dirt or nickel, but something had embedded in the sizer dies that I couldn't get out. I have never had this problem with non-plated brass. The easy solution was of course a new sizer die.....

Do you use nickel plated brass? How do you process it for reloading?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Re: Nickel Plated Brass
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 7:16am
Print Post  
Looks pretty but will split about 5 times faster than regular brass. 

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Continued expansion from firing and full-length resizing will sometimes cause the nickel plate to start flaking off and sticking to the walls of the resizing die.

Spinning the die in a lathe with a split dowel, a piece of crocus cloth and a squirt of WD-40 removes the stuck plating pretty quickly, IME.

As mes said, the plating embrittles the brass so it starts cracking sooner than unplated stuff.  So I don’t go out of my way to look for the plated cases.  They seem to be at their best in BPCR loads, where the nickel doesn’t tarnish, and the shells are left unsized, or, at most, very slightly neck-sized.

IP Logged

GunBum

Reply #3 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 11:50am
Print Post  
I’ve shot gazillions of rounds of nickel plated .357 Magnum.  Some have been used so many times the nickel about worn off.  I’ve never had them ruin the die.  Of course, they are in a carbide sizing die.   

On rifle calibers I sell or trade away all the nickel plated brass I acquire.  I’ve never had it embed anything in the sizing die, but it splits way too easy.   

I have bought a bunch of used dies that are nasty inside.  To clean gunked up sizing dies, I use automotive rubbing compound (mildly abrasive for cleaning car paint).  A little bit on a patch held in a split dowel, and spun with a cordless drill cleans up even the nastiest dies in less than a minute.  After hitting the die with the rubbing compound, I clean them well with brake parts cleaner, and lightly wax so they don’t rust.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jul 7th, 2024 at 2:12pm
Print Post  
I avoid longer rifle brass that's nickeled as it seems to get brittle fast. But I've shot shorter cases like .32-20, .25-20, .38 Special, and .45ACP and they seem to last as well as non plated brass. 
Maybe it's the lower velocities and pressures that make them last well? Not sure, but they all get full length sized except the .32-20 and .25-20, and still last.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

MartiniBelgian
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #5 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 12:38pm
Print Post  
Still using my nickeled .470 NE brass reformed to no.2 musket - however, the nickel has worn off, I presume due to many ultrasonic cleaning cycles.  But it still keeps on going....  No embrittlement or whatever.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint