Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Volume primer pocket cleaning (Read 1327 times)
marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Re: Volume primer pocket cleaning
Reply #15 - Jul 5th, 2024 at 11:38am
Print Post  
I've just bought my ceramic pins off sellers on Ebay. Prices are dirt cheap, and usually free shipping also. Sellers there sell round balls, square, triangle, and cylindric shapes. Never tried anything other than the cylinder shaped small pins. 
I think my 10 lb. bag was about $15 and free shipping back then. Never need replacing, just rinse them and keep using them.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

rkba2nd
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #16 - Jul 5th, 2024 at 2:31pm
Print Post  
Thanks to all who responded. Thanks to marlinguy for his suggestion, and will try ebay first as I am on their site often. Never thought to find them there, but have found some pretty obscure items there.

rkba2nd

IP Logged

cheatin_charlie
Senior Forum Member

Reply #17 - Jul 5th, 2024 at 6:26pm
Print Post  
For years I have used Frankfort Arsenals SS pins for 38 special on up.  Does excellent job cleaning primer pockets and inside of case they come out looking like new even after using black powder.  Using them on 25-20 SS and smaller cases the pins sometimes get wedged sideways and can be a pain to get out.
I just ordered these from Amazon I will see how they do on the small cases.
Charlie

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

Lead Pot

Reply #18 - Jul 5th, 2024 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
I shoot black powder only in my .38-50 Hepburn and I just pulled this brass out of the tumbler, they are still wet. 
I dont scrape the primer pockets, did that in the past and they just made the primers fall out in time using a brush or screwdriver. 
I just deprive the cases and soak them for a short time 15-20 minutes if I dont forget them. Then I use an ultrasonic cleaner and throw them in a wet tumbler. I use a Frankford Arsenal. I used to use the SST pins and ceramic pins mixed till I found those little white ceramic balls  Wink 
I first got the 4 mm and they edged the brass like brushed brass plumbing fixtures so I switched to the 3mm balls and they do not stick in the flash holes and clean and polish the brass like using brasso like I used to polish my brass belt buckel when serving in the service.
2mm is too small and it ends up on the floor and plugs the flash hole. 
I dump the tumbler barrel in a large pasta strainer sitting on a bucket to drain the water off. 
I have found nothing that cleans brass like what I using now.

Kurt
« Last Edit: Jul 5th, 2024 at 7:18pm by Lead Pot »  

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 5th, 2024 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Thanks all, am making notes from the reply’s & plan to change my routine accordingly 

Boats

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint