Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Federal Large Rifle Match Primers (Read 650 times)
JHand
Participating Member

Federal Large Rifle Match Primers
Jun 30th, 2024 at 1:39am
Print Post  
Had some luck the other day and managed to snag a couple bricks of Federal Large Rifle Gold Medal Match Primers a couple weeks ago, and after 2 trips to the range, I'm starting to wonder if I got a bad batch, or if they just happen to be pretty weak primers? 

I'm shooting about 12.5gr ramshot enforcer, and had 2 misfires in a row today where the primer went off, but the powder did not fully ignite. I ended up switching back to my Remington 9 1/2's and didn't have any more issues. 

Has anyone else had problems with these? I'm thinking I am going to move these to black powder primers since that should go off a bit easier .

Looking at the target, obviously not having an ignition problem with the Remingtons

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Re: Federal Large Rifle Match Primers
Reply #1 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 6:20am
Print Post  
It takes me a while to reject a primer lot with misfires. Best of them have occasional fails.  

However Rimfire steel challenge shooters my club were noticing a high % fails with Federals .22 ammo. It’s a high round count match scored electronically with alibis allowed. Friend of mine wrote to Federal detailing how many and lot numbers. Federal answered back with a contact phone #

Federal rep advised like many  manufacturers during COVOD they had problems due material and worker shortages . He refunded in full. You might want to write with lot numbers & see what they say. If a Rimfire fails to fire priming is the usual culprit 

Primers difficult to obtain long time now with many dealers  holding inventory for high prices. No telling how old yours are.

Boats

IP Logged

SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 6:40am
Print Post  
Magtech primers are pretty available here now, do you see them in the US?

Halt Fest! Ziel Gut! Schiess Fleck!

IP Logged

Timetripper

Reply #3 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 7:17am
Print Post  
I have not seen large rifle primers of any type or brand for sale anywhere. Except for one sleeve of CC! 200, all the LRPs I have are old stock purchased at estate sales and from private individuals. Have about 1500 older Winchester LR magnum primers and recently found a couple sleeves of regular WLRs and some Federals on a local online sales forum. But pickings are sparse.
Everything else is on the shelves, though at double the price or more.

John

IP Logged

4570mike
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 11:29am
Print Post  
I have switched to Fed 215M's since LRP's are difficult to find.  I had purchased a bunch of them pre-pandemic.  For the most part they seem to have been trouble free, but I do recall a couple instances where the shot going off felt weak, but the bullet found the mark okay, similar to the fine groups you displayed.
Kind of a primer "hang-fire". Shocked
FWIW, I have found the Mag Primers to be a good substitute.  Good SD.  Velocities picked up about 40 fps. These are in 38-55 and 40-65 using 4198.
Parden my "thread-drift"  Roll Eyes here, but I also tried LPP's in 32-40 with 4227.
My velocities went up 20 fps+/- over LRP's. Maybe the smaller primer wasn't pushing the slug out ahead of the powder completely igniting??
Regardless, another way I can stretch the inventory.  Smiley   
Mike.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #5 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
When I started loading for 32-40 many years ago, I started using Winchester LRPs for reasons lost in the mists of time, perhaps because of availability.  Anyway,  when everyone else was trying all sorts of other primers for whatever reasons, I stuck with WLRPs under 4759 for my 32-40s and under the same powder or black for my 45-70.  I was never the greatest shooter in the world or even on my block, but they always worked for me, and I never recall a misfire.
Froggie

IP Logged

boats
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #6 - Jun 30th, 2024 at 4:49pm
Print Post  
Like Froggy have used Winchester Large Pistol. 32/40 and 38/55 since the Charlie Dell matches.  Never any issues, due shortages worked some Federal Mag Rifes in my loads. 

Some miss fires, cranked up the CPA hammer spring & they go off  fine. It does take two thumbs to cock the rifle, can do it with one, wears out my thumb pretty quick.

Boats

IP Logged

Bent_Ramrod
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #7 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 10:07am
Print Post  
My first choice for blackpowder cartridge match loads has been the Federal Gold Medal Match Large Pistol primers.  I can punch a “primer wad” out in the primer pocket with the primer itself, and the shorter pistol primer seats flush.

I switched to CCI Benchrest LR primers when I ran out of those, but this required cutting out and dropping the primer wad into the case and making sure it was covering the flash hole at the bottom; extra work.

A while back I was in the local Sportsman’s Warehouse, and on the denuded reloading component shelves, I was amazed to find a few flats of 100 Fed GMMLPPs, at the typical exorbitant prices asked nowadays.

I gritted my teeth and bought a couple 100 packs and have been using them for BPCR match loads, in two different Shiloh Sharps rifles in two different calibers.  Both rifles required a second “snap” on the primer to fire these cartridges, about 10-15% of the time.

This was annoying and embarrassing, especially at the recent Quigley, although the misfires always went off the second time I cocked and fired.  Smokeless and substitute shooters make those relays go fast, and I was definitely slowing everybody else down.

I figure if this happens with two different modern rifles that have never given trouble before, it has to be the primers, not the rifle mechanics.

Bad enough that you can barely find stuff any more, and when you do it comes at ridiculous prices, but when it’s inferior quality into the bargain, you know we’re turning into a Third World country.

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #8 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 7:12am
Print Post  
I have had the paper primer wads (newsprint) both by dropping the wad into the case or using the primer to cut the wad work very well in a 40-65 I no longer have. I was getting hang fires without the wads.

Another help is to use a tool like the K&M primer pocket cutter on the primer pocket.  If towards the bottom of the pocket there is a slight taper the first hammer fall will do the final seating of the primer and the retry will fire the rifle.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

GT
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #9 - Jul 2nd, 2024 at 10:03am
Print Post  
Just a little bit from personl experiences, I've found the Federal LRGMM in magnum designation to be my go to primer in several rifles.   
In a couple of other rifles, not so much.  (I'm of the original belief that once a primer is ignited, ignition is ignition. I'm having some different thoughts on that).   
The rigs they peform flawless in are two Heartburns with heavy hammer springs, a '74, a '75 Sharps and my most recent Ballard build that has an exceptional hammer strike.  In another Ballard and a highwall that both have far less firing pin impact, I get fail to fire on first time hammer falls quite frequently and some radical extreme spreads.  Switching to WLP or R 2.5's primers these two issues - are non existent and improve significantly.

Bent Ramrod, 
Don't be embarrassed by these FTF on the first strike, think of it more as a rehearsed trigger pull and you got to pull the trigger more times than other folks.   Grin   
Just my 2˘

"To invent, you need a good imagination and a pile of junk"  T. A. Edison
"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that the lightning ain't distributed right" M.T.

IP Logged

mes
Senior Forum Member

Reply #10 - Jul 3rd, 2024 at 2:53pm
Print Post  
I think the newsprint wad acts on the primer going off with the same effect as using a pistol primer.  Both make for a gentler ignition to the powder.
Just my opinion, anyone, feel free to disagree.

Martin Stenback

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint