Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3  Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 25 Replies) Help needed with Steven's 44 1/2 value (Read 2656 times)
singleshooter721
Participating Member

Help needed with Steven's 44 1/2 value
Jun 25th, 2024 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
Hi all,

Hopefully this is the right sub forum, of all of the forums that I frequent it seems that this one has the most info on stevens rifles. I'm working on acquiring another falling block rifle. I've bought from this individual's collection before and he is generally fair on price. I'm discussing with him purchasing this 44 1/2 in 22 Hornet (.223 dia) and trying to come up with a fair price. It's in pretty clean condition, has peep sights and a round barrel. I only found pictures of one similar one on here (stock and forearm combo) and it was referred to as a semi-military. Can anyone weigh in on a good ballpark for this rifle? TIA 

IP Logged

RDBallard

Re: Help needed with Steven's 44 1/2 value
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 4:32pm
Print Post  
Personally I'm in the $8-$1200 range at the very most

IP Logged

singleshooter721
Participating Member

Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 5:57pm
Print Post  
Thank you for that input RD, in my many google searches I was coming up with some sold examples in the 7-900 range for models without high grade stocks, but then some random ones 12-1300. I just didn't know if this particular configuration is desirable for any reason.

Wondering if anyone else has an opinion otherwise?

IP Logged

Smoke
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 6:39pm
Print Post  
Is that a factory barrel in .22 Hornet?

IP Logged

singleshooter721
Participating Member

Reply #4 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 7:27pm
Print Post  
Smoke wrote on Jun 26th, 2024 at 6:39pm:
Is that a factory barrel in .22 Hornet?

No idea, I didn't think they came from the factory in 22H. I thought it was a 22LR barrel rechambered but I just don't know enough about them. It definitely requires .223 bullets for reloading.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 7:35pm
Print Post  
The buttstock might be original, but the forend isn't. The barrel isn't likely to be original either. Is the barrel stamped with the J Stevens A&T address? The frame would have been originally color case hardened, it appears to be blued now. Does it have the stag or elk head buttplate?
I would pay up $1000 for it,not anymore since it's not in the original configuration.

IP Logged

singleshooter721
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jun 26th, 2024 at 8:12pm
Print Post  
Thank you for the input, I'll ask for some more pictures tomorrow. Would those attributes affect the price much?

Sure shot wrote on Jun 26th, 2024 at 7:35pm:
The buttstock might be original, but the forend isn't. The barrel isn't likely to be original either. Is the barrel stamped with the J Stevens A&T address? The frame would have been originally color case hardened, it appears to be blued now. Does it have the stag or elk head buttplate?
I would pay up $1000 for it,not anymore since it's not in the original configuration.

IP Logged

singleshooter721
Participating Member

Reply #7 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Sure shot wrote on Jun 26th, 2024 at 7:35pm:

Ok, the barrel says J. Stevens arms company Chicopee, Falls, Massachussetts and is 22LR stamped.

The butt plate is neither stag or elk head, it looks like a banner and says Stevens in it.

Seems like this may be a hodge podge of parts based on the couple of comments here. SN is in the 48XX range.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #8 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 9:42am
Print Post  
With the J Stevens Arms marking, rather then the earlier J Stevens A&T marking, it's possible that the rifle was sent back to Savage owned Stevens for re-barreling sometime in the 1930's or so. Someone might have re-barreled it using a model 44 barrel . If the barrel is 26" long or longer I'd guess Stevens re-barreled it. Does the serial number on the barrel match the receiver? The serial number is likely under the forend. That buttplate style was typically used on Stevens shotguns, so there's a good chance that the stock is original. 
Most likely this was someone's wood chuck rifle back in the day.

IP Logged

singleshooter721
Participating Member

Reply #9 - Jun 27th, 2024 at 12:54pm
Print Post  
I don't think I'll have an opportunity to remove the foreend. I like the look of the rifle, except an original looking fore end would probably be more pleasing to the eye. I think that based on this input we're probably going to be pretty far apart on pricing. It would be fun to learn casting for this and I was hoping to make a package deal with some scopes though, so you never know. I think 900 is probably pushing it for this rifle.

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2024 at 5:09pm
Print Post  
I think it's worth $900.

IP Logged

singleshooter721
Participating Member

Reply #11 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
Well, thanks to some of the information from here.. I was able to make an informed decision and make a deal on the rifle and a pile of unertl scopes. 

It's pretty clear that the barrel was turned down and installed on the action based on the engravings being upside down but it seems like it should be fun to try shooting. A 22 hornet case fit in the chamber, as the seller stated that it would, but I think I'm going to cast it again anyway to be sure. He had told me to use .223 dia bullets but I'll have to figure out how to confirm that as well.

IP Logged

singleshooter721
Participating Member

Reply #12 - Jul 8th, 2024 at 8:20pm
Print Post  
More pics

IP Logged

Sure shot
Oldtimer

Reply #13 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 10:41am
Print Post  
Actually the Stevens markings on the barrel are not backwards. Stevens did that on the later rifles. When looking from the right side of the rifle it's correct.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #14 - Jul 9th, 2024 at 11:28am
Print Post  
Since the last 44 1/2 was made about 10 years before the 22 Hornet was developed, it was definitely rebarreled, or also converted from 22 LR. The markings on the barrel might suggest factory work.

My guess would be an early conversion using an available barrel. Using a 44 barrel that was offered would need to have the shank cut off, a shorter than normal barrel might be a clue.

As far as being collectible, that’s debatable. There is an interest in early varmint rifles and wildcat cartridges. The rifle as is would likely fall into that category, but harder to find the right buyer. 

Of course if it shoots well, that in itself would help the value. Just buy it as a shooter and enjoy it.

It’s still a part of history, a lot of single shots met this fate between the wars.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 
Send TopicPrint