Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic CPA shank? (Read 611 times)
bohemianway
Oldtimer

CPA shank?
Jun 21st, 2024 at 9:21pm
Print Post  
I emailed CPA because the dimensions on their sight is blurred and have not gotten a response. Does anyone have the shank dimensions (not just the thread size)?

Thank you,
Charles

GTalk  
IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Re: CPA shank?
Reply #1 - Jun 22nd, 2024 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Charles, 
Attached is a photo of the barrel shank of a CPA barrel (32-40) that I measured in machining a new barrel (30-30) last week.
The breech section is .845" diameter and .310" long. The threaded section is .9235" diameter and .815" long and the distal end is .927" diameter and .4" long.
The threads are nominally 15/16"X16 tpi but my action has a smaller major diameter.
If your action has a nicely fitted barrel, I'd recommend that you measure the three areas and turn the diameters a few thousandths larger. 
If you don't have a fitted barrel to measure, the breech diameter needs to fit through your action's threads. Then you can measure the diameter across the threads to get your major diameter and increase the diameter a few thousandths for safety. The final diameter was .005" larger than the major diameter.
Without a fitted barrel to guide you, I'd turn a test shank from brass or aluminum to use as a guide.
Good luck,
Otto   

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #2 - Jun 22nd, 2024 at 7:24pm
Print Post  
Thank you, I only have a couple of 44 1/2 Steven's with barrels mounted.

GTalk  
IP Logged

n.r.davis
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jun 22nd, 2024 at 9:19pm
Print Post  
Otto let out a Closely Guarded Secret.  Turning a test shank has saved my Bacon more than once.  I've found that most Threads on a Barrel are on the loose side.  Good luck 👍🏻. David

IP Logged

chipmaker
Senior Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 23rd, 2024 at 12:48pm
Print Post  
Charles,
Just to be on the safe side, I want to be sure that you know that the barrel dimensions on the CPA Stevens 44 1/2 is larger than the original  Stevens 44 1/2.
I suspect that you know this from your initial request for information on a CPA shank but was concerned when your response mentioned owning Stevens 44 1/2 rifles.
Otto

IP Logged

bohemianway
Oldtimer

Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2024 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
CPA got back to me. Interesting they don't dimension the 0.400" section diameter as noted above by chipmaker.

GTalk  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint