Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic SAAMI vs CIP. (Read 365 times)
SchwarzStock
Frequent Elocutionist

SAAMI vs CIP.
Jun 15th, 2024 at 5:42am
Print Post  
Yesterday I took a Shiloh to the German Proof house in Ulm for certification. I would not have done it if I had a choice....

The guy was gone with my rifle in 45-70 for less than 15 minutes when he came back and in English said "Bad News". The rifle shoots well and I had seen no indication there was any problem so I was quite surprised. According to their measurements, the throat was too short, the chamber too tight, and the rim recess too small.

I immediately went to a gunsmith near Ulm (GEBU) I have know since the early 1990's and spoke to him. He is probably the major seller of Shiloh and C. Sharps here and also has new Lone Star and Harris Gunworks guns in stock. When I told him the issue he said "All Shilohs must be cut". Apparently it is a well known issue, certainly not a knock on Shiloh. He anticipates my rifle being back to the proof house by Tuesday since it is only 10km from him. For me to pick it up will be another 200 mile round trip. Smiley

If your rifle is not in 7.62 and you can't hit what you are aiming at with de-linked machinegun ammo you are a pretender.

IP Logged

GunBum

Re: SAAMI vs CIP.
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 8:49am
Print Post  
Yeah.  Some of the chamber and cartridge measurements don’t line up between CIP and SAAMI.  I wish they would get together and line up a little better.  At least it’s an easy fix.

IP Logged

rollingblock
Senior Forum Member

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
Better to small than to big in this case  Cheesy

IP Logged

texasmac
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 11:39pm
Print Post  
Interesting.  I just downloaded the .45-70 Govt. chamber specification for SAAMI & CIP.  They're identical.

Wayne

NRA Life (Benefactor & President's Council) Member, TSRA Life Member, NSSF Member, Author & Publisher of the Browning BPCR book
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint