Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic I need help with my Stevens 44 1/2 (Read 601 times)
bullshop

I need help with my Stevens 44 1/2
Jun 12th, 2024 at 8:31pm
Print Post  
My 32-40 Stevens that once shot so good started not shooting so good. I suspected a broken firing pin and I was right.  I got a new pin and installed it today.
Everything was great and shooting good until I made a wee bit of a mistake. 
I was breach seating bullets and mistakenly put the breach seating case without a primed back in the chamber and attempted to fire the rifle.   The lack of a primer in that case allowed the firing pin to travel far enough forward that it is now stuck forward so I can not open the breach.
I also can not remove the barrel because the extractor is in the way because again I can not open the breach.
I am afraid I may have to sacrifice the new firing pin to get the breach open.  Anyone got a better idea ?

IP Logged

SBoomer
Oldtimer

Re: I need help with my Stevens 44 1/2
Reply #1 - Jun 12th, 2024 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
At half cock or full cock, with the muzzle pointed up, tap the breechblock area lightly with a hard rubber or plastic hammer from below. The pin should drop. Its easy to see if it does.

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2024 at 10:01pm
Print Post  
I have been trying that but its not working.  Its a new pin as of today and was a tight fit.  In the full forward position it would not fall back freely when the muzzle was raised.  It had to be pushed back from the breach face with a flat punch. I had to turn it a bit to get it to fit at all.  I quit with a tight fit thinking that it would work itself in with some shooting.  This has got me stumped and I see only one way out and its not a good way.

IP Logged

Dellet
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2024 at 10:53pm
Print Post  
Did you try a magnet?

You’ll get more force gently tapping the buttstock than the side of the breech block. If you can stick a magnet to the firing pin, it might add enough weight to help dislodge it when tapping the butt.

IP Logged

marlinguy
Frequent Elocutionist

Ballards may be weaker,
but they sure are neater!

Reply #4 - Jun 13th, 2024 at 10:14am
Print Post  
I'd consider making a small brass rod to fit into a good one piece cleaning rod and turn the small rod down to a tip that's small enough to fit into the flash hole of your .32-40 case. Then run the cleaning rod with the reduced tip into the case and gently tap it to move the firing pin back. May take some finessing to get the tip into the flash hole, but once in it should move the firing pin back.
After getting it free, I'd consider removing the firing pin and dressing down the tip to ensure it wont be such a tight fit that it could stick again.

(You need to Login or Register to view media files and links)

IP Logged

bullshop

Reply #5 - Jun 13th, 2024 at 10:34am
Print Post  
UPDATE
---- Got it fixed. Removing the lever link pin which also is the extractor pivot pin and pulling the lever full to the rear allowed just barely enough room for the extractor to drop out the bottom in front of the lever. With the extractor out of the way the barrel was easily removed. With the barrel removed access to the breach face was clear and the stuck firing pin was pushed free.
This was a learning experience.

IP Logged

Peter_Sheets
Participating Member

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2024 at 3:27pm
Print Post  
I had the same problem and solved it by bumping the stock on the ground. Because of your post I now have another way to solve the problem. Thanks,  Pete

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint