Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 10 Replies) Seating Primers (Read 1639 times)
slickshot223

Re: Seating Primers
Reply #15 - Jul 17th, 2024 at 12:22pm
Print Post  
Bought a Dillon swage tool thinking it would be fast! NOPE Used a  counter deburring tool for years, went back to it, much faster!! Sold the Dillon!

IP Logged

gnoahhh
Oldtimer

Reply #16 - Jul 17th, 2024 at 1:36pm
Print Post  
MarkTrew wrote on Jul 9th, 2024 at 3:46pm:
Has anyone found a noticeable difference between swaging the primer pockets to remove the crimp compared to reaming it out?

MarkTrew

I'm an advocate of the primer pocket reamers provided by Wilson for use in their trimmer. Cuts the crimp rather than swages and does a beautiful job - but, if I had to do a big pile of brass I would seek a swaging tool. The reamers work fine but are slow, great for the occasional odd small quantity IMO.

IP Logged

Green_Frog
Frequent Elocutionist

"It ain't easy being green"
ASSRA Life #281

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2024 at 4:33pm
Print Post  
bpjack, that re- and decapper in brass is bee-you-tee-full!  If I weren't already so tool poor, I would have to have one of those!  Fortunately I already have a brass body one for my 25-30 SS kit.   
I may or may not be able to find a usable brass body breech seater in all the flotsam and jetsam, and I'll be in touch when you resume making them if it turns out I need one.
Regards, 
the Frog

IP Logged

Nero
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #18 - Jul 17th, 2024 at 5:21pm
Print Post  
No specific reason for using Federal primers just always have for donkeys years.
Plus the fact it brings in another variable using different primers.
Can't remember seeing any other types for sale where I shop.
Lucky over the past few years to get these and at double the price they were only a couple of years ago.
I haven't bought any new cases for years, so many guys don't reload and put their fired cases for sale on line. Never had any dud ones, most shooters are honest I have found or I have just been lucky.
Certainly didn't realise Federal primers were a tad larger but these cases I now realise were definately slightly crimped but as they were not military didn't even give it a thought.

IP Logged

bpjack
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #19 - Jul 17th, 2024 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
I doubt I will be making them for sale.  I made an aluminum body one as a proof of concept and it turned out well but is is fairly labor intensive.  I am going to make a couple more from brass now that I have the material.  If you want to buy me a Tormach CNC mill. I will make you one.

Jack

ASSRA # 11318
just a bit of a hoot.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint