Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Paper patch mini skirt (Read 241 times)
oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Paper patch mini skirt
Jun 30th, 2024 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Has anyone ever tried this. (See photo)  My bullets slip fit into cartridge as plain bullets, but wrap with paper and they don’t fit.  In my mind it shouldn’t matter, but I am simple minded.

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

steveu
Participating Member

Re: Paper patch mini skirt
Reply #1 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Is that a greaser you are patching?

IP Logged

jhm
Frequent Elocutionist

Reply #2 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 3:37pm
Print Post  
I will take a shot at it. Normally paper patch bullets are slightly undersize of bore dia. by a few thousandths with patch paper making up the difference. They shoot cleaner than greased bullets and usually give better accuracy despite being labor intensive.

IP Logged

nuclearcricket
Oldtimer

Reply #3 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 4:08pm
Print Post  
The paper will increase the bullet diameter by 4X the thickness of the paper. As an example, my 44-77 has a .438 bore, my bullets are about .432, my paper is about .0015, so 2 wraps bring it up to about .438 or so. 
Sam

IP Logged

oughtsix
Global Moderator
ASSRA Board Member

Reply #4 - Jul 1st, 2024 at 8:56pm
Print Post  
So to answer some responses…

These are .441 dia. 550 g slicks bought through Buffalo Arms.  My Steve Brooks .431 470 g slicks work fine.    The bigger bullets engrave tighter but won’t fit in the cartridge but if  I bell the cartridge a bit ~ 1/16 seat the bullet then crimp it , the rolling block breech will close.  If the crimp isn’t perfect, I end up with a useless cartridge to the range. 

My regular pp bullets (twisted tail) have a nice tight paper jacket. The few I experimented with last night unwrapped as they dried.  Back to the drawing board.

Life Member ASSRA, OGCA &  TSGC
I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters........ Frank Lloyd Wright

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint